10. I Thought I Knew It All
11. Black Curtains
12. Victory

[2004 re-release bonus tracks]
13. Millenium Of The Blind
14. New World Order [demo]
15. Absolution (Instrumental)
16. A Tout Le Monde [demo]

Four years after the epic Rust in Peace, Megadeth, under the command of the creative Dave Mustaine, made it again. For the greatest pleasure of our impatient ears, Youthanasia has been released in 1994. After the phenomenal success of the previous disc, the very metallic Countdown to Extinction, Megadeth's fans owed to be surprised, or could have been bored in a genre in which competition was tough (Metallica, Anthrax...).
So what? Did they make it?

Well, Youthanasia, with its sumptuous melodies and its warm production has soon convinced and charmed a huge attendance, confirming Megadeth among the greatest bands of metal. Without having the creative boost and the volume of Rust in Peace, Youthanasia distinguishes itself of the previous albums by its ability to alternate very rhythmed tracks and power ballads, of which the lyrical "A tout le monde" is the best example. This is a stunning and bewitching track, introduced by arpeggios, and that has the distinctive feature to integrate very well a chorus in French. "Blood of Heroes" is played in the same way, with arpeggios to introduce it, then the rise with a merciless rhythm part. Even though the guitar solos are softer than before, the emotional force is still there. For instance, "Addicted to Chaos" is as good for its impeccable structural aspect as for the innate feeling of the four guys that make this song flowing and wonderful at the same time.

More than on any other album, the rhythm parts have the lion's share on most of the tracks. "Reckoning Day" and "Train of Consequences" particularly highlight Dave Ellefson and Nick Menza, whose drums' sound has never been that warm.

All along this album, it becomes clear that Megadeth did not lose its creative verve with the nervous "Victory" and "The Killing Road", or "Elysian Fields" and "I Thought I Knew It All", two unusual tracks but still very good. And even though "Family Tree", "Youthanasia" and "Black Curtains" are quite modest, they perfectly fit in the album without harming its unity.

Actually this is a really excellent album that shows the band has been able to renew without falling into the trap of commercial silliness. On the contrary, Megadeth has made a lyrical and technical performance without denying the qualities that have borne them until the top.

Written by | 22.10.2003

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 42   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 206 users
28.12.2010 - 22:35
Rating: 10
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by RavenKing on 28.12.2010 at 22:20

I don't know if it was the same in Europe. I should ask Marcel about it. He surely remembers.

In my oppinion, was the same, by that time about metal the United States had great influence in Europe, in my opinion, at least here in Spain.

But, Metal music could not stay in the classic, this had to evolve somehow, in my opinion for me was not a bad thing.
28.12.2010 - 23:45
RavenKing

Thanks for the replies, Angelic Storm and Vikcen. So, it looks as the situation in the 90s was kinda similar in Europe.

You know, it's one of those instances where I believe a little revisionism doesn't hurt. It helps to dissipate the false rumors and preconceptions carried on in the metal community.

Some people (mostly young ones who weren't there and can't possibly remember) have an idyllic view of some 80s metal bands. They believe that they were always considered as gods and immensely popular, and it is so far from the truth at times.
I remember a time when people didn't admit they liked Helloween by fear of being mocked and when people considered Iron Maiden, Kreator, Testament, etc as dead and buried and when Blind Guardian played in front of 300-400 people.

I don't want to undermine the credit lots of old bands deserve. I only wish to express how some people believe in an utopia when it comes to this matter.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
03.08.2011 - 21:10
Nemo Atkins

The quick decline Thrash and traditional Heavy Metal both suffered in the early 90s is one thing I will never be able to understand and explain. I mean, it was quite sudden and so fast.

Apparently, it was due to the rise of Grunge (you know, bands like Nirvana) in the early 90's that Metal suffered the way it did.
03.08.2011 - 21:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Nemo Atkins on 03.08.2011 at 21:10

The quick decline Thrash and traditional Heavy Metal both suffered in the early 90s is one thing I will never be able to understand and explain. I mean, it was quite sudden and so fast.

Apparently, it was due to the rise of Grunge (you know, bands like Nirvana) in the early 90's that Metal suffered the way it did.

Grunge killed of glam at most, that's it.

don't believe what people say about Grunge's effect on thrash. Ffs when grunge came to a fore death metal bloomed. One might as well state death metal killed off thrash, which is more true tbh, than grunge.

It is clear you weren't around at the time or else you wouldn't be saying what the popular music press is currwntly saying.

Grunge didn't have too mich of an effect on real metal.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.01.2012 - 05:21
Haiwaan Das

Written by Angelic Storm on 28.12.2010 at 22:31

The young fans will perhaps have some difficulty to imagine it but, to tell you the extent of the changes the metal scene undergone back then, I can tell you that it was nearly impossible to find someone who still cared for Iron Maiden here at that time. People simply didn't give a fuck any longer at Thrash and Heavy Metal. It was all about Death, industrial, groove, alternative, grunge, etc, etc.. But the classic metal genres? Dead. And almost no one cared.

I don't know if it was the same in Europe. I should ask Marcel about it. He surely remembers.

Hehe, I am just old enough to remember that. It was the same in Europe. Or at least it was in the UK. I even remember Kerrang having a headline that said "thrash is dead?" in one of their articles that featured Overkill and Testament.

But the scene really started in exact that time here in Asia. We actually started getting Metal Records in our Music Stores from 90s only so in a way its good because when it died in your area it started in our area and when u guys were inactive with real metal we guys were listening to some of the great Metal Releases.
----
Gr Gr Gr Gr Gr
07.03.2012 - 04:12
jukebox1480

Im probably alone on this,but I think this is the most underrated metal albums of all time. If it had came out four years earlier then it did,I think it would of been huge. Youthanasia has great riffs and while it may not be the thrash of earlier Megadeth,it is just as good. One of my favorite albums from my teenage years.
03.04.2012 - 02:56
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by jukebox1480 on 07.03.2012 at 04:12

Youthanasia has great riffs and while it may not be the thrash of earlier Megadeth,it is just as good. One of my favorite albums from my teenage years.

I would have said exactly the same =)
02.07.2012 - 19:01
John Shock

Written by jukebox1480 on 07.03.2012 at 04:12

Im probably alone on this,but I think this is the most underrated metal albums of all time. If it had came out four years earlier then it did,I think it would of been huge. Youthanasia has great riffs and while it may not be the thrash of earlier Megadeth,it is just as good. One of my favorite albums from my teenage years.

No friend, you're not alone...this is really a underrated one! And yes, it has some amazing riffs on this one! Specially Train Of Consequences on the intro riff, i simply love it! ...
02.07.2012 - 19:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
UNderrated? It sold like hot cakes back then and is one of Megadeth's sell out albums where Dave tried to emulate Metallica's success with Metallica.

And to be honest both Youthanasia and COuntdown To Extinction are pretty weak albums
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.07.2012 - 00:36
Rating: 4
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.07.2012 at 19:08

And to be honest both Youthanasia and COuntdown To Extinction are pretty weak albums

please do not employ my syntax schtick when referencing that weak album. thank you.

and yes, those albums were so weak i haven't bought a Megadeth album since. Countdown was a greater disappointment coming off the heels of RIP than the Black Album was off ...AFJA... the only reason I even got Youthanasia was because I joined one of those CD clubs and needed a 12th album for my "get a dozen albums for a penny."

i still find it hilarious how much of a pass MegadavE was given for his post-RIP output.

i guess it's because he "righted the ship" after his sell out was less a success and started putting out more aggressive albums again before most our users stumbled in to metal.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.02.2019 - 14:21
Rating: 8
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Well Metallice died after Black, (only Garage where they cover other songs and last one are good one), Anthrax died in ''Persistence Of Time'' and if band would exist nowadays non of 80's albums would be so strong. Poor 80's people had no internet. Megadeth after this survived, and all they what they put out after this are much higher as big 4 and other thrashers put out after 1990. Maybe overkill survived in some way.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.10.2020 - 19:02
Rating: 9
BlankFile

They´ve tried a new aproach within their style with "Youthanasia" and did a really great job anyway. Off course, it´s not among their best records, but it´s a fantastic work nontheless. It has some of the most iconic Megadeth tunes, for instance "A Tout Le Monde", "Reckoning Day", "Train Of Consequences", "Addicted To Chaos" or "The Killing Road" and "Blood Of Heroes"

Iconic Megadeth CD.

Hits total: 15875 | This month: 14