01. Saudade
02. Axiom Dream Within...
03. ...The Idyllic Realm
04. Incandescent Gleam
05. Specular Wavefront Of...
06. ...The Mirrored Self
07. Eternal Pendulum
08. Ephemerality

Does reviewing a band from your home state mean that your review will probably contain some bias? I'd like to think not, but it's probably inevitable. Let's hop to it, then.

Set And Setting are an instrumental five piece from St. Petersburg, Florida, whose sound can be a bit difficult to label with exact accuracy. With Reflectionless, as with their previous releases, on the surface level this can most easily be called post metal. The music crawls along at a mostly moderate pace reminiscent of some doom and sludge type approaches, and at times things can be quite pleasantly groovy and memorable, especially on the powerful "Saudade" opener. But the trick with Set And Setting that really differentiates them from other bands in their department is their blend of post metal influences with tasty, impressive undercurrents of psychedelia and black metal elements, making them highly enjoyable for their unique take to the genre.

On Reflectionless, you can really see this blend of various influences brought out in full perhaps more than it ever has been before. Moments like those on "Axiom Dream Within..." embrace the post aspect more, being overall more melodic, atmospheric, and meditative. Meanwhile on tracks like "...The Idyllic Realm," or the closing "Ephemerality," you see things getting heavier, likely leaning more towards the underlying sludge influences, and there's more of a heavy embrace of a black metal, tremolo picking type riffing style. As such, the production adapts accordingly, being more crisp and airy during those more atmospheric, relaxing moments, and slightly murkier and crunchier during the heavier moments, and Set And Setting are certainly to be applauded for this strong demonstration of sound flexibility.

If there's anything you could find wrong with Reflectionless, it could possibly be the lack of vocals, but (at least for this listener) this really isn't an issue at all. Since more atmospheric and psychedelic forms of music are usually more about sound and exploring the beauty of instrumentation than a fixation on vocals, an instrumental approach is really almost ideal, and Set And Setting are an excellent demonstration of this idea. Dreamy and ethereal, but with a surprising amount of weight and catchiness at times, Reflectionless is a great album to just fall back in and let absorb you completely, through its impressive blend of relaxing and heavy approaches. A pretty strong release, and one that will quite likely end up being a highlight of the year in the post metal area.

Is your mental state (set) ready? Is your environment (setting) ready? Then go dive in.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 18.02.2017 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 219 users
18.02.2017 - 21:18
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
staff
Goddamn das a good one
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
19.02.2017 - 01:22
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by RaduP on 18.02.2017 at 21:18

Goddamn das a good one

Need more stuff like this from the genre, if more is out there. Bands like this could actually start getting me more into post
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
20.02.2017 - 18:00
Rating: 9
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
SSDB, but what sets this apart is the production. Holy balls is it shiny. Nailed the other tangibles in the music too Che, not bad for a post metal non-enthusiast. Excellent review and thanks.
----
rekt
20.02.2017 - 22:18
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by tea[m]ster on 20.02.2017 at 18:00

What sets this apart is the production. Holy balls is it shiny. Nailed the other tangibles in the music too Che, not bad for a post metal non-enthusiast. Excellent review and thanks.

As someone who knows way more about this genre than I do, could you recommend any similar bands? Anyone it's reminding you of in particular? I'd definitely like some more stuff in this sort of vein, if available
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
21.02.2017 - 12:35
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by Auntie Sahar on 20.02.2017 at 22:18

could you recommend any similar bands? Anyone it's reminding you of in particular?

Tough one knowing your tastes. Most of the instrumental "post-y" stuff lies somewhere around post rock territory. Off the top of my head, a sound like this - more post metal, heavier - try...

Fjord
Pet Slimmers Of The Year
Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Omega Massif
Pelican
From Oceans To Autumn
Meniscus
Year Of No Light

BitterCold, Diverge and Hadriel probably have some recs too...If you need more, let me know.
----
rekt
21.02.2017 - 13:50
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by tea[m]ster on 21.02.2017 at 12:35

Recs

Sure dude, thank you! I already know of Pelican and Year Of No Light among those you listed, and I enjoy them both
----

~ II. VII
25.02.2017 - 04:29
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Really enjoyed this album before and after release. Gonna have to buy it sometime soon...
----
09.07.2017 - 17:14
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by Auntie Sahar on 21.02.2017 at 13:50

Sure dude, thank you! I already know of Pelican and Year Of No Light among those you listed, and I enjoy them both

Hey brother, good stuff from your neck of the woods...
http://gullwing.bandcamp.com/releases
----
rekt

Hits total: 4917 | This month: 10