Metal Storm logo
Avenged Sevenfold - Stagehand Dies After Band's Show In Germany

Avenged Sevenfold's show in Stuttgart ended in tragedy. A stagehand working at the band's concert in Stuttgart, Germany on Monday night (February 20th) was killed when a colleague fell on him as they were dismantling the stage. While the 26-year-old survived the 2:00 a.m. incident with serious injuries, the 19-year-old from Esslingen, identified by the German media only as Marvin P., died at the scene.

Jörg Klopfer, a spokesperson for the Schleyer-Halle venue where the concert was held, told Bild: "We have never had a fatal accident since the opening of the Schleyer-Halle in 1983. It is a terrible tragic event. We mourn with the family and friends of the young man."

It is not clear why the 26-year-old fell from a height of about 20 meters onto his colleague. Police officer Stephan Widmann said: "An expert will try to reconstruct the accident."

The band released this statement regarding the tragedy: "We have some very sad news to report. Last night after our show in Stuttgart, Germany, a 26 year-old stagehand fell from the rafters while breaking down our stage. He fell a very far distance onto a 19 year-old man on the local crew. Tragically, the 19 year-old died from his injuries. The other man is now in critical condition at the hospital. This is beyond heartbreaking to everyone in the band and on our crew. We all send our thoughts and prayers to the man in the hospital, both families involved, all of the local Live Nation crew and everyone else whose lives have been affected by this terrible accident. We love our crew so much as well as the many local staff who are essential to our show every night wherever we are around the world. This is such a stark reminder of how quickly an accident can happen and lives shattered in the process. When we hear more we will update you."

Furthermore, February 21st Avenged Sevenfold's concert at Mediolanum Forum in Milan, Italy has been canceled because singer M. Shadows is reportedly suffering from voice problems.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Avenged Sevenfold
Posted: 22.02.2017 by Bad English

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 5   Visited by: 111 users
22.02.2017 - 14:15
Derelict Earth

That's a true tragedy ... RIP
22.02.2017 - 17:46
BEHEMOTH 1

What's the relevance of this article to metalstoem?
22.02.2017 - 20:29
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Maybe someone can fill me in...someone with experience, one way or another. Are those workers who go up that high supposed to wear harnesses or some sort of protection?
----
rekt
23.02.2017 - 12:35
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by tea[m]ster on 22.02.2017 at 20:29

Maybe someone can fill me in...someone with experience, one way or another. Are those workers who go up that high supposed to wear harnesses or some sort of protection?

There's a difference between supposed to and doing so. I used to wear a harness that usually wasn't actually connected to anything.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
24.02.2017 - 19:16
WinterMadness

Written by tea[m]ster on 22.02.2017 at 20:29

Yes, they are. They are supposed to wear a helmet and a full climbing harness, usually with two clip-on points so that while you're moving the clips you're always clipped on by at least one point. But since stagehand work is about speed, often safety takes a backseat to efficiency. Unsafe, against regulations, and illegal depending on worker safety laws of course, but it happens all the time. That's why accidents like this happen all the time.

Hits total: 1779 | This month: 2