Metal Storm logo
Metal subgenres that really ought to be renamed

06.03.2017 - 11:30
Ganondox

There are several metal subgenres which started out as fusions of other subgenres, but then evolved into their own thing. It's also kinda silly that there are subgenres whose name is some other subgenre with an adjective thrown in front. As such, I have come up with much sillier names.

First off, melodic death metal, most of it isn't really that much like death metal. As such, it's been redubbed blood metal, because that's pretty metal, and melodeath is pretty metal. The other death metal subgenres will get similar treatment. Technical death metal is now just technical metal, and deathgrind is now grind metal. Now bands don't need to try too hard to be death metal and can actually think if death growls are really the best choice for their music. Finally, deathcore. Just describing it as a fusion of death metal and metalcore is woefully inadequate, so the name has got to go. Instead we'll call it mud metal, because it generally sounds like mud and pig squeals would finally make sense in context.

Next on the list comes the other metalcore subgenres. First, melodic metalcore. Completely ridiculous name as most the bands have pretty much nothing to do with hardcore punk and are better thought of as being part of the New Wave of American Heavy Metal. As such, we'll just call it modern metal. The melodeath bands which sound the same can also be thrown in because the distinction is meaningless anyway. Sure, the name will go out of date in a few years, but hasn't stopped us from calling art from the 1920s modern. The third wave of metalcore will just be called trash metal, mainly to annoy thrash metal fans who can't spell.

Finally are the miscellaneous genres. Djent is being renamed math metal because djent was just the dumbest name for a genre ever. Maybe then people will realize it is in fact it's own genre as it sounds nothing like progressive metal or metalcore or whatever else people are trying to claim it really is. Blackgaze is being renamed nightmare metal because most of it really doesn't sound anything like black metal or shoegaze, and as it keeps getting more upbeat it'll naturally just become dream metal, which is appropriate considering the dream pop influences. The last genre that needs to be dealt with are all those so-called sludge metal bands that aren't heavy at all where people can't agree if they're progressive or psychedelic or stoner. Whatever, who cares, they're all clearly connected to each other and not so much to the hardcore sludge metal. I'll just settle for psychedelic metal and call it a day because apparently that label hasn't been claimed yet.

There are probably fifty million more poorly named subgenres because people are terrible at naming things, and more will just sprout up, but these are currently the worst offenders. What happened to the good old days where people actual made up cool metal names like death metal, black metal, and power metal? Modern metal genres deserve better than just having their names be that of older metal genres haphazardly thrown together.
06.03.2017 - 13:40
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Big thread.
06.03.2017 - 16:15
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Trademark this shit....
----
rekt
18.03.2017 - 02:25
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Ganondox on 06.03.2017 at 11:30

What happened to the good old days where people actual made up cool metal names like death metal, black metal, and power metal?

All the cool names are already taken?

I agree with some, don't agree with others. really disagree with calling something 'modern metal'. 10/20 years down the line we'll than have 'old school modern metal'.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
19.03.2017 - 05:45
Ganondox

Written by M C Vice on 18.03.2017 at 02:25

Written by Ganondox on 06.03.2017 at 11:30

What happened to the good old days where people actual made up cool metal names like death metal, black metal, and power metal?

All the cool names are already taken?

I agree with some, don't agree with others. really disagree with calling something 'modern metal'. 10/20 years down the line we'll than have 'old school modern metal'.

Cool names aren't all taken, they've just gone out of style for mashing.

*New Wave of Neo-Oldschool Retro-Post-Modern Metal

That's true, but it's a problem we already have. Genre names like Progressive Rock, New Wave, and Bossa Nova all suggest the same thing. The alternative name would be melodic metal, but they could get confused with power or glam metal.
24.03.2017 - 02:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Totally idiotic post about death metal but I agree genres as mat, jent don't makes sense, all must be called (all means all what is not old school) weird metal new generation somhing
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.05.2017 - 05:12
actvalmetal

I think post metal is going to need to be renamed. It technically means "after metal", and that's what I keep thinking when I see it. I don't even know what I would rename it as.
----
I have a blog where I attempt to dispel myths about metal: actvalmetal.wordpress.com
You decide if it's terrible or not. Feedback is always encouraged!