Metal Storm logo
MS Awards 2016 - Staff Picks!!

Written by: D.T. Metal
Published: 10.03.2017

It wasn't an easy task... emotions ran high? threats were made... longtime friendships were on the verge of falling apart?

Nah, it wasn't that bad, and in the end we came to our senses, hugged it out, and "kumbaya" was echoing in the halls of the MS Tower.

Some of our picks coincided with what you, our trusted users, have picked as the "Best Album" in the genre. Well? except for one particular album where the votes went into a tie-break and almost tied with the next choice once again. (*cough* sorry un-named Staff-member *cough*).

Make sure you check out some of the lesser known bands below and now, without further ado, here are our picks:

2016 Metal Storm Staff Picks

Alternative Metal
Gojira - Magma

Ambient / Drone / Noise
Ulver - ATGCLVLSSCAP

Avantgarde / Experimental Metal
Zeal And Ardor - Devil Is Fine

Black Metal
Schammasch - Triangle

Death Metal
Départe - Failure, Subside

Djent / Math Metal
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Dissociation

Doom Metal
Khemmis - Hunted

Extreme Doom Metal
Eye Of Solitude - Cenotaph

Extreme Progressive Metal
Gorguts - Pleiades' Dust [EP]

Folk / Pagan / Viking Metal
Saor - Guardians

Gothic Metal
Trees Of Eternity - Hour Of The Nightingale

Grindcore
Wormrot - Voices

Hard Rock
Vôdûn - Possession

Hardcore / Metalcore / Deathcore
Oathbreaker - Rheia

Heavy / Melodic Metal
Metal Church - XI

Industrial / Cyber / Electronic Metal
Anaal Nathrakh - The Whole Of The Law

Melodeath / Extreme Power / Gothenburg Metal
Dark Tranquillity - Atoma

Melodic Black Metal
Rotting Christ - Rituals

Metalgaze
Alcest - Kodama

Post- Metal
Cult Of Luna - Mariner [Collaboration]

Power Metal
Sunburst - Fragments Of Creation

Progressive Metal
In The Woods... - Pure

Sludge / Stoner Metal
Ortega - Sacred States

Symphonic Metal
Delain - Moonbathers

Thrash Metal
Flotsam And Jetsam - Flotsam And Jetsam

Clandestine Cut Of The Year
Conjurer - I [EP]

Debut
Départe - Failure, Subside

So, the Metal Storm Awards are a wrap for this year. Hopefully you discovered some new bands in the process and now onward to 2017; which already promises to be a good year for metal.

The Metal Storm Awards Team

Written on 10.03.2017 by Former boss lady. Now just a professional concertgoer... dangerously armed with a camera!

Comments

Comments: 18   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 308 users
10.03.2017 - 02:54
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I slept on the Ortega release. Really dam good album.
----
rekt
10.03.2017 - 04:30
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Haha Flotsam And Jetsam was also my vote.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
10.03.2017 - 14:41
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Maco on 10.03.2017 at 04:30

Thrash was a mess, some good albums and people with varying tastes. i went D666 on that one.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.03.2017 - 16:59
EricAxel36

Dark Tranquillity yes! Winter's Gate is ridiculously overrated. Insomnium pretended they wrote an incredibly epic album and everyone just ate it up.
10.03.2017 - 17:30
Clutch

There we go. A way higher percentage of the picks align with my own. The popularity contest of the reader vote makes it pointless. People voting for Metallica for everything lol. I particularly like the Departe, Sunburst, and Zeal & Ardor picks. I also voted for Dark Tranquillity, Alcest, and Khemmis. I still think that the Gojira album is overrated. It's okay, not bad, but I think Katatonia's new album was much better. For progressive metal, I need to listen to that In The Woods more. It didn't catch my attention the first time I listened to it. I much preferred Haken, Oceans of Slumber, Anciients, Witherscape, and Fates Warning in there. I also really don't like the new Gorguts and easily prefer the new Ihsahn.

It's all just opinion anyways
10.03.2017 - 18:24
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Clutch on 10.03.2017 at 17:30

There we go. A way higher percentage of the picks align with my own. The popularity contest of the reader vote makes it pointless. People voting for Metallica for everything lol. I particularly like the Departe, Sunburst, and Zeal & Ardor picks. I also voted for Dark Tranquillity, Alcest, and Khemmis. I still think that the Gojira album is overrated. It's okay, not bad, but I think Katatonia's new album was much better. For progressive metal, I need to listen to that In The Woods more. It didn't catch my attention the first time I listened to it. I much preferred Haken, Oceans of Slumber, Anciients, Witherscape, and Fates Warning in there. I also really don't like the new Gorguts and easily prefer the new Ihsahn.

It's all just opinion anyways

I wanted Witherscape for prog and threatened everybody in the Staff but to no avail :| Still think it was the best out of those awesome releases. Also would've preferred Katatonia, like you, but was happy with Sunburst, Vôdûn and Oathbreaker getting some recognition.

Overall, more balanced yes.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
10.03.2017 - 21:01
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 10.03.2017 at 14:41

Thrash was a mess

[
10.03.2017 - 21:17
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Schammasch's Triangle as the best bm?
10.03.2017 - 21:18
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 10.03.2017 at 21:01

Written by BitterCOld on 10.03.2017 at 14:41

Thrash was a mess

[

will check that out, but I was quite happy with D666. what i meant by "a mess" was on initial staff pick voting we had like six people who each cast for a different album.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
12.03.2017 - 17:23
MetalManic

I always enjoy the Staff Picks every year however I do miss the slightly descriptive blurbs featured alongside the presented albums. What gives?
14.03.2017 - 21:19
fandango68

Delain before Epica?????? You really have GOTTA be kidding...
----
First gig was Manowar (loincloths 'n' all), Bristol Colston Hall in March 1983, on the 'Hail to England' tour. Tickets were £3.75, 300 in the audience, Mercyful Fate never showed, but my hearing still got seriously trashed..
16.03.2017 - 17:49
Nick Carter

I'm so happy to see Dark Tranquility, Trees of Eternity and, especially, Guardians (my 2016 fav). I will still miss Ocean's of slumber or even Witherscape, but you can't have everything.
----
#MetalIsForEveryone
17.03.2017 - 00:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by fandango68 on 14.03.2017 at 21:19

Delain before Epica?????? You really have GOTTA be kidding...

No, we're not.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.03.2017 - 02:02
Cavernous

So long since the last time i entered this forum that almost forgot how much i disagree with metalstorm's official dogma
18.03.2017 - 12:49
fandango68

Written by Cavernous on 18.03.2017 at 02:02

So long since the last time i entered this forum that almost forgot how much i disagree with metalstorm's official dogma

No, I only really use his site for the catalogue of bands and their discographies.... never really found it to be a particularly friendly place either, tbh...
----
First gig was Manowar (loincloths 'n' all), Bristol Colston Hall in March 1983, on the 'Hail to England' tour. Tickets were £3.75, 300 in the audience, Mercyful Fate never showed, but my hearing still got seriously trashed..
18.03.2017 - 13:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Cavernous on 18.03.2017 at 02:02

Holy shit dude, you are alive. Nice to see you and all!
I can say i disagree with a couple of picks here but eh... It's just votes. Although I'm glad that most of us enjoyed Zeal & Ardor as well as Oathbreaker.
I can't say I really understand what dogma you are talking about since we have at least 50% new people since the last time i saw you anyways!

Written by fandango68 on 18.03.2017 at 12:49
No, I only really use his site for the catalogue of bands and their discographies.... never really found it to be a particularly friendly place either, tbh...

Really? That's a shame. Any particular events you could have alerted the mods of? :\
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.03.2017 - 15:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Quote:
threats were made... longtime friendships were on the verge of falling apart

Cool, I wish it was real lol
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.03.2017 - 17:54
Aker

Nice picks!!!. .. just i like Zeal and Ardor but... Meta from Thy Catafalque is a Materpiece!!

Hits total: 7180 | This month: 10