Metal Storm logo
Which was the greatest internet april fools overall?

15.03.2017 - 01:47
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
So since this date is approaching and unfortunately MS doesn't seem to be keen of that stuff anymore I was wondering which you guys think was the greatest april fools prank ever? I wanna exclude those dumb pranks which consists of a guy throwing some pie on other dudes' face, so I put "internet" on the title. I want to know some pranks done by big web corporations which actually managed to deceive millions of people who bought it.

So which is your favorite one?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm gonna start with my pick: I think the whole 4th episode of the anime Katanagatari was the best april fools ever conceived. For those who don't know the anime proposition was to release a single episode every month for an year, totalizing twelve episodes. And the release date was the 1st day of each month. The anime was based on the novels written by a japanese guy named Nisio Isin but apart from the orignial story, the animations would often display some original content. As typical of anime, there were fights and there was this character named Sabi Hakukei which apparently was one of the strongest characters waiting to be have a match with the main character. And in the end of the 3rd episode (released March 1st) there was a preview of the next episode featuring a fierce fight among the main character against Sabi Hakuhei, which was to be expected accordiing to the story development.

I'm not gonna start on how anticipated that fight was, the anime was good overall and since the episodes came monthly instead of weekly the amount of agonizing time waiting for the next would be four times harder.

The thing most people didn't know is: In the original novels the fight wasn't detailed. And for the very few people who did know this fact they weren't very concerned because the anime would often animate some unexpected things after all. Plus, scenes of the fight were on the preview, so... Yeah. Everyone was sure the fight was going to be animated.

Then when the 4th episode was released, of a 50 minute episode, it basically consisted of a quick intro, followed by the main character's sister side story up until about the 42nd minute or so. After that, there was a scene of the main character and the supporting one just talking about the fight they supposedly had against Sabi Hakuhei (which didn't appear at all) while eating some dango. They would quickly give a VERBAL overall impression of the fight and then the episode ended. The deadly antagonist was defeated and not a single scene, not even the ones on the previews managed to be featured in the whole episode. The preview was totally fake.

And the funniest of all it's that it was a joke which was built within a month of antecedency, and it was so convincing that no one stopped to realize the date it was gonna be published. Every episode just happened to be released on the 1st, so it was just a typical date like any other... How neat is that?

So... Which others of these kinds of prank you guys think deceived lots of people?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
17.03.2017 - 15:44
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Deathday 666 releasing on the April 1, 2011 and people actually thinking it is a joke review.