Metal Storm logo
Six Feet Under

Original post

Posted by Dangerboner, 20.04.2007 - 03:07
Since Six Feet Under just released their new album, Commandment, I decided to create a thread for them. As you all know, Six Feet Under is fronted by ex-Cannibal Corpse growler Chris Barnes, but their lineup has other well-known musicians, such as Terry Butler (ex-Death, ex-Massacre) and Steve Swanson (ex-Massacre). They even had Allen West (ex-Obituary) in their lineup for a short period of time.

I own Bringer of Blood, Haunted, and Maximum Violence. I think it is universally agreed that Bringer of Blood is a massive pile of shit, but their older albums were a lot better. Haunted is probably my favorite album by them, most notably because of Allen West's catchy guitar riffs.

I heard Commandment in full last night and I'm relieved that they are back making somewhat respectable music. I think Commandment needs a few more hooks in the songs because it gets very repetitive at times, but overall I'm fairly satisfied with it. Even though Chris doesn't sound as good as he used to, he still sounds like a fucking monster that could kill Corpsegrinder any day.

So, what do you guys think?
23.07.2010 - 01:13
Mosquiller

Pretentious band on par with Devourment, Waking the Cadaver and Job for a Cowboy.
----
Written by Konrad on 10.12.2009 at 22:41

Hey, if you put your mind to something, you can accomplish it...just don't give up.
23.07.2010 - 01:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Mosquiller on 23.07.2010 at 01:13

Pretentious band on par with Devourment, Waking the Cadaver and Job for a Cowboy.

What the fuck makes SFU pretentious?
It is straight up old school death meta;. Nothing pretentious about that.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.07.2010 - 01:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.07.2010 at 01:14

I think "pretentious" is a definite potential winner for the "most abused word in metal" thread. Mainly because everyone has their own personal definitions of what it means.
23.07.2010 - 01:31
Mosquiller

Commerciality, Pristine production and accessibility are a few of the things right in old school death metal then?
who said that groove/death metal = old school death ?
listen to Dead Congregation then you'll see what modern old school sounding death metal is supposed to be.
----

Hey, if you put your mind to something, you can accomplish it...just don't give up.
23.07.2010 - 01:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Mosquiller on 23.07.2010 at 01:31

Commerciality, Pristine production and accessibility are a few of the things right in old school death metal then?
listen to Dead Congregation then you'll see what modern old school sounding death metal is supposed to be.

old school death metal is full of grooves. They make you move. I am not syaing SFU are good bu they play old school dm along the lines of the Florida bands of the time and New York bands as well. And old school dm bands are accessible.
Pristine production and accesibility have nothing to do whatsoever with being pretentious.
I guess you should look up the meaning of pretentious in a dictionary. Cause pretentious means the following:
pretentious adjective
/prɪˈtent .ʃəs/ adj
trying to appear or sound more important or clever than you are, especially in matters of art and literature
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.07.2010 - 08:10
DoommooD

SFU are not pretentious imo. they have a strong sound and great riffs. very original and consistant. chris is better here than with cannibal!
23.07.2010 - 13:47
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by DoommooD on 23.07.2010 at 08:10

SFU are not pretentious imo. they have a strong sound and great riffs. very original and consistant. chris is better here than with cannibal!

I beg to differ. Chris's vocals in SFU sound kind of weak, especially in later releases. In CC, he was more guttural and overall better, IMO.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
23.07.2010 - 16:25
DoommooD

Written by vezzy on 23.07.2010 at 13:47
I beg to differ. Chris's vocals in SFU sound kind of weak, especially in later releases. In CC, he was more guttural and overall better, IMO.
chris's vocals on eaten back to life are his best cc vocal sound. in butchered, tomb and bleeding, the vocals sound like a toilet flushing imo. with SFU, the vocals are more defined and clearer to me.
23.07.2010 - 16:50
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by DoommooD on 23.07.2010 at 16:25

chris's vocals on eaten back to life are his best cc vocal sound. in butchered, tomb and bleeding, the vocals sound like a toilet flushing imo. with SFU, the vocals are more defined and clearer to me.

I don't think CC lyrics would fit with a clearer growl... wait, actually, that'd be nice... but really, Chris's growls in SFU are just kind of weak.
----
23.07.2010 - 17:19
DoommooD

Written by vezzy on 23.07.2010 at 16:50
Written by DoommooD on 23.07.2010 at 16:25
I don't think CC lyrics would fit with a clearer growl... wait, actually, that'd be nice... but really, Chris's growls in SFU are just kind of weak.
dont get me wrong, the chris cc voice is goolish and different, but george fisher is amazing with cc. chris sfu just fits the groove death riffs much better.
23.07.2010 - 19:02
Angelic Storm
Melodious

Im sorry, Waking The Cadaver are ''accessible''? :\ They are absolute crap, but they are not ''accessible'' at least not to my death metal hardened ears anyways.
23.07.2010 - 19:08
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 23.07.2010 at 19:02

Im sorry, Waking The Cadaver are ''accessible''? :\ They are absolute crap, but they are not ''accessible'' at least not to my death metal hardened ears anyways.

Cannibal Corpse and Entombed don't actually harden your ears much, but whatever.

WTC are absolute shit.
----
23.07.2010 - 19:34
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 23.07.2010 at 19:08
Cannibal Corpse and Entombed don't actually harden your ears much, but whatever.

WTC are absolute shit.

Yep, I only listen to 2 death metal bands.......

They are, but that doesnt mean they're accessible.
24.07.2010 - 01:52
Mosquiller

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.07.2010 at 01:44

old school death metal is full of grooves. They make you move. I am not syaing SFU are good bu they play old school dm along the lines of the Florida bands of the time and New York bands as well. And old school dm bands are accessible.
Pristine production and accesibility have nothing to do whatsoever with being pretentious.
I guess you should look up the meaning of pretentious in a dictionary. Cause pretentious means the following:
pretentious adjective
/prɪˈtent .ʃəs/ adj
trying to appear or sound more important or clever than you are, especially in matters of art and literature

:
Groove refers to 'Groove Metal', not Groove, literally.
thats a genre made by Pantera and the likes...
old school death metal and accessiblilty? you got to be kidding me! eh man?
depends on a specific band, but not totally as accessible as todays wigger shits.

i'm sure i've seen SFU's high-budget video clips broadcasted on mainstream satellite channels like MTV or VIVA...
their music is also bland, with too much emphasis on the recording proccess and crystal clear production to avoid sounding harsh to the untrained ear. no soul of real old school DM can be felt from SUF's wankery.
their cover albums are also some of the absolute craps i've heard so far.

fuck yeah, that'll make them pretencious, gaining the attention of so much fans thus making them think they're so great (another example is Suffocation).
that also reminds me of Judas Iscariot and Nargaroth, talking shit on stage about anyother BM band, while there are bands far above these poser bastards, or Armagedda leaved the scene disturbed by it's shittiness, while they were of the ruiners themselves. or even Dark Funeral or 1349, who think are 'true bm' and also saviors of the black metal genre, for instance.

Written by Angelic Storm on 23.07.2010 at 19:02

That was a comparison of shittiness.
----

24.07.2010 - 12:49
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Mosquiller on 24.07.2010 at 01:52
That was a comparison of shittiness.

What? No way! 6 Feet Under are the best death metal band of all time, (which they are not!) compared to Waking The Cadaver. At least 6 Feet stuff is catchy and they've done some memorable songs. WTC just make a lot of noise. lol
24.07.2010 - 13:16
vezzy
Stallmanite

pretentious adjective
/prɪˈtent .ʃəs/ adj

:

Actually, Exhorder created it, but Pantera popularized it. And you are wrong, it can refer to both the genre and the rhythmic feel known as a groove.
----
28.07.2010 - 23:14
Mosquiller

Written by vezzy on 24.07.2010 at 13:16

pretentious adjective
/prɪˈtent .ʃəs/ adj

:

Actually, Exhorder created it, but Pantera popularized it. And you are wrong, it can refer to both the genre and the rhythmic feel known as a groove.

Here I was referring to the genre not the rhythmic move or feel or whatever it is.
I read about it on Wiki.

Groove metal is a subgenre of heavy metal.[1] It was often used to describe Pantera[3] and Exhorder.

Pantera's Cowboys from Hell album from 1990 was described as "groundbreaking" and "blueprint-defining" for the groove metal genre.[5] Tommy Victor of Prong claims that the attitude of groove metal came from Bad Brains.[6]

Geoffrey Himes of The Washington Post described the music in 1998, as a "marriage of hard rock with dance music and hip-hop"; and stated about groove metal: "This gives the loud, crunchy guitars a black-flavored dance pulse and gives the wailing vocals the punchy rhythms of rap and funk. The masters of this new sub-genre is Korn."[1] Other groove metal bands have incorporated thrash metal[7], hardcore punk[8], and industrial music[9]. Ian Christe credits Sepultura's Chaos A.D. and Pantera for creating the death metal-derived music of groove metal and influencing later groups in the genre during the 1990s
----

18.05.2012 - 20:27
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
For fans

Six Feet Under Streaming New Album "Undead" Online fucking here.
19.05.2012 - 05:36
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 18.05.2012 at 20:27
For fans

All six of them.

(This includes the band members.)
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.05.2012 - 09:03
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.05.2012 at 05:36

All six of them.

(This includes the band members.)

I'm assuming the sixth used to be Seth Putnam, but now that he's dead, Chris Barnes' father?
----
19.05.2012 - 17:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by vezzy on 19.05.2012 at 09:03
...Chris Barnes' father?

No. I think he was the basis for the "Son, I am disappoint" meme.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.05.2012 - 08:22
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Huhloo everyone!

I gotta some news for ya' Baaaaam!

ROB ARNOLD RETIRES FROM TOURING, SIX FEET UNDER ANNOUNCES REPLACEMENT

However, Six Feet Under Recruits New Guitarist Ola Englund