01. Spirit Of The North
02. Winter Night
03. Travel In Woods
04. From Life To Spirit
05. Valkyrjur Ancient One
06. The Border Of Eldamar
07. Galaðwen The Eldar
08. New Beginning

The Force Of The Ancient Land, an album by Mathias Hemmingby's one-man project Eldamar, is a work that simultaneously demonstrates some of the best and worst elements that the atmospheric black metal genre has to offer. It is an ambitious debut that falls short of achieving its aim of being a masterpiece, but does so in a way that is still admirable and enjoyable.

The first thing that will surely impress listeners about The Force Of The Ancient Land is the quality of the production; apart from the synth-created female vocals that occasionally become tedious, the album sounds incredible. Even in an age when home-produced high-quality music has become a common thing, Eldamar's debut ranks high amongst the very best albums when it comes to production.

The Force Of The Ancient Land is less impressive when it comes to songwriting, however. While the production is great and the overall feeling of the music is rather epic and wonderfully otherworldly, the musical ideas themselves - while good - are stretched out to infinity and beyond and listening to the entire album from beginning to end becomes something of a chore at about 45 minutes in. There simply isn't enough going on musically to justify the more than 70-minute length of The Force Of The Ancient Land. If the album were just 50 minutes long, it would work much better. As it is, a potentially great listening experience has been forcefully made so long that it almost becomes something you'd play in the background while busy with other activities rather than a work of art that you really get drawn into.

Fans of Caladan Brood and similar bands will no doubt find Eldamar's debut album to be one of the best releases of 2016, and with its epic soundscape, great production, and many lovely melodies, that is not surprising. Aiming for greatness is always admirable and Hemmingby certainly has the potential to hit the target with his future releases as Eldamar, even if this first album is just plain good and nothing more.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 5
Production: 10

Written by Metren | 06.05.2017

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 50 users
06.05.2017 - 01:26
nikarg

Very good review, I couldn't agree more. In the beginning of the album I was really impressed, but after 40 minutes in I felt I wanted it to end. I have tried to listen to it a few times, without ever being able to stay focused throughout the whole thing. Pity, because there are some very beautiful melodies in it.
06.05.2017 - 18:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
A bit Immortal, not St. ann but Norway in lyrics, to understand what I mean and why I say you all should spend winter in a northöand where I live even further north
10km north from Kiruna still has -17¤C at night in mid may .... true meaning of BM msg .....
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.06.2017 - 18:08
Rating: 7
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Bad English on 06.05.2017 at 18:56

A bit Immortal, not St. ann but Norway in lyrics, to understand what I mean and why I say you all should spend winter in a northöand where I live even further north
10km north from Kiruna still has -17¤C at night in mid may .... true meaning of BM msg .....

Umm... what???
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
16.06.2017 - 18:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Metren on 16.06.2017 at 18:08

Written by Bad English on 06.05.2017 at 18:56

Umm... what???

Lyrical and emotiopns !!! means a lot in a music
----

apos;'
[image]
16.06.2017 - 21:14
Rating: 7
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Bad English on 16.06.2017 at 18:21

You meant that the location of recording / writing makes a difference in some genres of music, like black metal? I agree there, a cold, rainy, desolate place can indeed be inspiring and such
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
16.06.2017 - 21:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Metren on 16.06.2017 at 21:14

Written by Bad English on 16.06.2017 at 18:21

You meant that the location of recording / writing makes a difference in some genres of music, like black metal? I agree there, a cold, rainy, desolate place can indeed be inspiring and such

Why Satyricon decide go back to analoge sound?
Many smartasses and critics will say no, but no and yes, because nature where you lige inspires people, artist, I don't see Norvegian BM coming out like that in a Florida or California.
Sentenced lyrics ij DM ere was about nature, north a bit poetical, not as Florida DM about cuntworm and sifilysdickerectionprobelms
----

apos;'
[image]

Hits total: 6813 | This month: 7