07. Hordes Of Chaos
08. Phobia
09. Enemy Of God
10. Civilization Collapse
11. The Patriarch
12. Violent Revolution
13. United In Hate
14. Flag Of Hate / Tormentor

If, during the last five years, you have been anticipating a return-to-brutal-thrash-roots Kreator album, stop reading now and don't even bother listening to Gods Of Violence. If, on the other hand, you have welcomed and enjoyed the new direction and approach that the band has taken since 2001, proceed with reading this review, my fellow metalhead. Don't be fooled by the high rating though, because this is not an encomium.

Kreator are back after five years and they just do what they do best; that is, producing neck-breaking, heavy-power, melothrash music with a touch of epicness. If you have followed them since Violent Revolution, when they finally ditched the crap experimentation of the '90s and reconquered the thrash throne, you must have noticed a gradual progression to a more melodic, stadium-filling sonic orientation. The influence of Sami is more than obvious in this aspect, as he has played a major part in shaping - along with Mille of course - the sound of the band today. Moreover, the fact that they have maintained the same line-up for the last 16 years is what makes them sound as solid as ever. It is probably the main factor that renders them devoid of any new ideas as well.

This album is a natural follow-up of the last three that preceded it. The lyrical themes are once again the people's revolution, the overthrowing of tyrants, scenes of apocalyptic terror, the awakening of the masses and the united metal brotherhood. This repetitiveness is evident in the lyrics as well as in the song titles. The music is in turn far from original, but it is perfectly structured and it seems that creating flawless, sing-along thrash metal is a piece of cake for them. You get the impression that they can write an epic chorus, a memorable riff and a brilliant solo in a matter of minutes, almost effortlessly, while they are in the loo. It is easy listening, I get it, and this might keep some old fans away from it, but I'm sure it will also attract new admirers and this by no means implies that they are selling out. Highlights include, but are not restricted to, "Totalitarian Terror", "Gods Of Violence", "Lion With Eagle Wings" and the Iron Maiden rip-off (oh yes indeed) "Death Becomes My Light", that closes the album.

So, is the new record more of the same? Essentially yes, but you would already know this if you had heard the first single "Gods Of Violence", which is blatantly stealing parts from "United In Hate" and "When The Sun Burns Red". Is this sameness a bad thing? Not necessarily. I value originality a lot, but I also appreciate the pleasure brought by beautifully crafted compositions that sound familiar and homey and are served with a fantastic production, even if they are sometimes rehashed and/or bombastic. I mean, for fuck's sake, 50-year-old Mille still makes me want to start headbanging the way he did when I was adolescent and this is definitely worth a lot, at least for me. In total, two words define this album: guilty pleasure. Don't be scared; please don't be afraid to have fun with it, my fellow metalhead.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 9

Written by nikarg | 06.05.2017

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Over the last decade or so, Kreator has embraced a much fuller, more melodic style that, paired with remarkably consistent material, has kept the band at the forefront of the thrash scene with such veteran grace and wisdom that it's almost impossible not to appreciate Kreator from a professional standpoint as well as a musical one.

Read more ››
published 14.03.2017 | Comments (11)

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 77 users
06.05.2017 - 04:14
UPDIRNS

Love this album. Excellent work. Talent on display here and packaged in a nice polished easy to like way.
07.05.2017 - 21:58
Rating: 9
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Great review, totally spot on imo.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
05.09.2017 - 23:29
Euronymous00

After pleasure to kill, this is the best, my opinion

Hits total: 2462 | This month: 6