Metal Storm logo
Wintersun - The Forest Seasons

7.8 | 512 votes |
Release date: 21 July 2017
Style: Extreme power metal

Owners:

288 have it
42 want it

01. Awaken From The Dark Slumber (Spring)
02. The Forest That Weeps (Summer)
03. Eternal Darkness (Autumn)
04. Loneliness (Winter)
05. Loneliness (Winter) [acoustic version] [Digibook bonus]

The Biggest Letdown Of 2017

Additional info
Produced, written and arranged by Jari Mäenpää.
Available as:
  • Standard CD
  • Digibook (including instrumental CD)
  • 2LP (vinyl in gatefold) in different colors
  • CD Boxset (including instrumental and "Live At Tuska 2013" CDs)
  • Download

• Staff review by
    ScreamingSteelUS
    Rating:
    I can't believe I nearly missed one of the biggest releases of 2017. I totally lost track of time. Here I am, three whole months late, and I'm only just getting to the new Wintersun. Oh, man. How embarrassing, right, guys?

Read more ››
    published 30.10.2017 | Comments (38)

Found in 32 lists
    Top lists

Comments page 2 / 5

Comments: 150   Visited by: 1409 users
    19.07.2017 - 13:25
    Risto
    Wandering Midget
    Written by Rulatore on 19.07.2017 at 07:30

Songs with more than 10 minutes with less riffs than a Rotten Sound 50 seconds song, lazy ass guitar work, barely have solos, overdone arrangements that can't build a bit of atmosphere to save its life and the songs structure overall just plain lazy

It's much easier to make a mess out of a song if there are a lot of separate riff ideas. The self-titled album isn't much different in this regard actually, there's a lot of simple ideas that are drawn out to epic lengths.
    19.07.2017 - 13:26
    Rating: 7
    Tomci

IMHO it's not bad, but it just doesn't live up to the hype around it. The album was announced like it's the second coming of jesus, although this amount hype was completely unjustified. I'm starting to think that this whole crowdfunding thing was just a serious wallet drain. After 4-5 listens I couldn't find on the album any memorable catchy parts to sing along to like on the previous albums, maybe only Spring delivers a little. Guitars are a bit dull, monotonous. Verdict: albeit mediocre, the album is fine. 100% not AOTY, weakest entry in the Wintersun discography.
    19.07.2017 - 13:35
    Rating: 6
    Oykan Övgü

A pretty average album from an overrated band.
    19.07.2017 - 18:57
    Rating: 6
    DonMoenning

I think the first two tracks live up to what I was hoping for. The latter half of the album is fairly dull. 6/10.
    19.07.2017 - 22:21
    Rating: 3
    Rulatore

Written by Risto on 19.07.2017 at 13:25

Written by Rulatore on 19.07.2017 at 07:30

Songs with more than 10 minutes with less riffs than a Rotten Sound 50 seconds song, lazy ass guitar work, barely have solos, overdone arrangements that can't build a bit of atmosphere to save its life and the songs structure overall just plain lazy

It's much easier to make a mess out of a song if there are a lot of separate riff ideas. The self-titled album isn't much different in this regard actually, there's a lot of simple ideas that are drawn out to epic lengths.

Of course, I get your point but that's not the only problem I pointed, and these are not your typical simple catch riffs... they are just boring and repeated far too much
    20.07.2017 - 07:42
    Rating: 8
    LeKiwi
    High Fist Prog
    What an utter disappointment...54 minutes of material of which at least 30 is mediocre drawn out "black metal". Track 2 and 4 are pretty good overall, but I wouldn't pay more than 1 or 2 Euros for this.

Edit: not much of a surprise, but #2017disappointments (oxymoron?)
    20.07.2017 - 13:23
    The Melting Snow

I love the 3rd and 4th songs. been listening to them on repeat. 2nd is ok too. didnt like the first one much.

Good job i must say. Pleasantly surprised. 4th one seems like Jari's projection of himself, and it fits well. most emotional one of the album.
    21.07.2017 - 00:05
    VIG
    Account deleted
    Written by LeKiwi on 20.07.2017 at 07:42

"black metal".

Wintersun have never played bm in the past, I can't see them playing that style now...
    21.07.2017 - 00:41
    moe5512

First impression: The mixing is utter shit, dull "riffs" but I've heard worse
    21.07.2017 - 00:41
    Rating: 5
    abysss

Written by In5anity on 07.06.2017 at 19:30

Written by corrupt on 26.05.2017 at 17:45

The cover authentically looks like that of an early 90's computer game.

I'm pretty sure it's a screenshot from 'Simon The Sorcerer'.

Reminds me of legend of Kyrandia 2 - Hand of fate

Like in this picture https://gamefaqs.akamaized.net/screens/e/0/b/gfs_97344_2_6.jpg
    21.07.2017 - 00:44
    Rating: 5
    abysss

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.07.2017 at 16:00

Written by Karlabos on 12.07.2017 at 15:59

The world has evolved a lot lately. Nowadays words can hurt...

That is devolution not evolution.

"the pen is mightier than the sword" goes a very old saying.
    21.07.2017 - 01:02
    Kvothe

Written by Rulatore on 19.07.2017 at 03:18

One can barely hear the guitars, rip. Hopefully people will stop giving money to this lunatic

Edit: What an absulote and complete joke this album, I even feel bad for people who donated money. 50 euromoney for this piece of crap is an absolute rip off, this guy should be prosecuted, holy crap

hahahah yeah, sure
    ----
    Here, waiting very quiet right in front Valaritas, the door that hides the tomb.
    21.07.2017 - 01:07
    Kvothe

Written by Oykan Övgü on 19.07.2017 at 13:35

A pretty average album from an overrated band.

"Overrated" is overrated. Actually, all good music is overrated, everything is fucking overrated.
    ----
    Here, waiting very quiet right in front Valaritas, the door that hides the tomb.
    21.07.2017 - 01:19
    moe5512

You sound like one of them fanboys
    21.07.2017 - 01:37
    erat

Brace yourselves. A swarm of salty stormers are coming. It doesn't matter if the album is a masterpiece or utter trash, they will come and spew some bullshit.
    ----
    Sick liaisons raised this monumental mark,
    The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park!
    21.07.2017 - 02:13
    Vombatus
    Potorro
    Written by erat on 21.07.2017 at 01:37

Brace yourselves. A swarm of salty stormers are coming. It doesn't matter if the album is a masterpiece or utter trash, they will come and spew some bullshit.

Are you trying to say in a concealed way that anyone who criticizes the album is salty and obviously wrong before it even happens?

Man, the butthurt is even worse than expected
    21.07.2017 - 02:37
    Vermoorden

The first two tracks are killer, and exactly what I was expecting. Track 3 is not good, and track 4 is only alright. At least its 27-ish minutes of good material.
    21.07.2017 - 03:36
    LeKiwi
    High Fist Prog
    Written by Guest on 21.07.2017 at 00:05

Wintersun have never played bm in the past, I can't see them playing that style now...

Listen to it.
    21.07.2017 - 03:42
    VIG
    Account deleted
    Written by LeKiwi on 21.07.2017 at 03:36

Listen to it.

Well where can I stream it?
    21.07.2017 - 03:50
    erat

Written by Vombatus on 21.07.2017 at 02:13

Written by erat on 21.07.2017 at 01:37

Are you trying to say in a concealed way that anyone who criticizes the album is salty and obviously wrong before it even happens?

Man, the butthurt is even worse than expected

lol no, i didn't mean that. Why would criticizing the album be wrong? Weird you got offended and started to put words into my mouth there. Just proved my point about how salty people are about this album and Wintersun in general.
    ----
    Sick liaisons raised this monumental mark,
    The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park!
    21.07.2017 - 05:19
    Rating: 9
    StratoArctica

I'll give it another day for more people to listen to the album so that there is a larger pool of reviews for it, since there's no way this album deserves a 7.4 at the time of writing. I'm going to give this a few extra spins before I rate it, that aside I'll be putting Loneliness on repeat for quite a long time. Loneliness is an amazing track and for me it's up there for personal favorite Wintersun song.
    21.07.2017 - 08:56
    Slade_19

I found it pretty boring unfortunately. Maybe I'll give it another spin later
    21.07.2017 - 12:01
    Vombatus
    Potorro
    Written by erat on 21.07.2017 at 03:50

lol no, i didn't mean that. Why would criticizing the album be wrong? Weird you got offended and started to put words into my mouth there. Just proved my point about how salty people are about this album and Wintersun in general.

As you might have noticed, my post was in the form of a question, thus I didnt not pretend to put "words into the mouth" of anyone but rather wanted to know the opinion behind such a peculiar post.

And tbh, I can hardly be offended (as you seem to imply) when it comes to Wintersun as I never bothered with their music and hold no grudge against the band. If I visit these sort of posts, its mostly for the comical value of hyperbolical fanboys. Some posts are hilariously cringeworthy
    21.07.2017 - 12:04
    Enissa

The first song got me so bored.. Kinda saw this coming though.
    21.07.2017 - 12:34
    miekka18

For me personally this album is absolutely fantastic. Best song is Spring, worst is Autumn because I'm not a big fan of non-melodic black metal stuff. Jari has done a great job. I enjoy the album very much and have been listening to bits and pieces youtube has offered for the last month. I'm gonna listen instrumental version next Haters gonna hate, lovers gonna love.

Ps. I wonder why people always listen so much others. Make your own decisions and listen whatever you like and don't listen something you don't like
    21.07.2017 - 13:26
    marshalldml

I think it's pretty good.
    Not a masterpiece but good.
    Just,maybe not good enough for the long wait?
    21.07.2017 - 14:31
    lemme

Written by miekka18 on 21.07.2017 at 12:34

For me personally this album is absolutely fantastic. Best song is Spring,

Yep, Spring is very good, sadly other songs are very mediocore.
    21.07.2017 - 15:15
    Litvin

Ahhh Jari could of done better...I believe he spend more time on marketing that on actually writing the album
    21.07.2017 - 17:10
    fenchik

Really enjoy the album ! Can't see the point of "Instumental version"....boring!Loneliness remind me of Devin Townsend and this is a good thing!
    21.07.2017 - 20:33
    IBlackened

I lowered drums, vocals and orchestrations 4 dB and now I can hear the damn guitars. It made the album much more interesting to me.

Edit: with this setting, the drums lose some brightness, and since in a lot of sections there are basically only the orchestration (especially in the intros), you won't hear them very well. Even though the guitars got louder in the mix, they're still not that clear to begin with.
    ----
    Their old stuff is better.

Hits total: 30347 | This month: 130