Album: RLC
Release date: April 2017

01. Negative-Parallel Dimensional
02. Astral Dominion
03. RLC
04. Titan
05. Time Lapse Of Existence
06. Saturn 12.c

When you sit back and think about it, there really are quite a lot of ways that you can die in space. You could, for example, have your ship's radar malfunction and fly straight into an asteroid field. A solar flare from a nearby star could wipe out your electronics, leaving you stranded and slowly starving to death. And there are always those pesky Xenomorphs to worry about as well. Truly, it's a realm where you have a high likelihood of meeting your doom. Doom like Saturndust.

If your ears were open and tuned in on the inner workings of the metal underground, you may have caught the debut of this hypnotic Brazilian trio back in 2015. For Saturndust, this year's follow up, RLC, is no less than a successful capitalization upon their previous effort. Here listeners are treated to a very crunchy, hard-hitting brand of doom metal, complete with catchy, memorable riffs, very impressive drumming, and soaring, yelling type vocals that really serve to guide the music without seeming to overpower it. As one might assume from a band name like Saturndust (and one would be correct), this is further embellished by a delicious undertone of whoosing, atmospheric effects oozing of psychedelic and sci fi influences, that would make the likes of Isaac Asimov and Frank Herbert smile with joy.

The real selling point with RLC is the degree to which Saturndust make their music variate throughout the course of the album. The doom and the spacey, ambient effects are blended together extremely well, to the point that they sort of take turns boosting each other up. For example, you might get a heavy track like "Negative Parallel Dimensional," that's mostly doom with the ambient elements accentuating the mood, or you might get a more formless, atmospheric cut like the title track, where the opposite is the case. All the instrumentation falls into place with this wonderful sense of fusion and alternation. Sometimes the vocals soar while at other points they employ more of a quiet, whisper like approach. Sometimes the guitar gets in on the crunchy doom jammage while at other points it takes on a softer, more chord-based delivery. And likewise, the drumming ranges from throbbing and suspenseful one moment to hushed and restrained the next. It's a highly satisfying blend of techniques that proves Saturndust are anything but one dimensional with their composition.

With RLC, the only thing that could possibly be raised as an issue of complaint is the lack of forward development, a rehash of old ideas, perhaps. Considering what has come before it, RLC is essentially more of the same. But this is pretty insignificant and really nothing to complain about, considering how good Saturndust's recipe already is. The "if it aint broke, don't fix it" maxim most definitely applies to these young Brazilians, and their formula is anything but broke. Here's hoping they keep the ball a'rolling, and even if their sound doesn't change up much over future releases, I know I'll stay a devoted fan, because goddamn, does it just suck you right on in.

"In space no one can hear you scream"? Bullshit. The scream is right here, and it's called Saturndust.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 02.06.2017 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 308 users
02.06.2017 - 21:38
Rating: 9
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Goddam back in the review game woo
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
02.06.2017 - 21:39
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
S/t > RLC tho
----
02.06.2017 - 21:39
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by RaduP on 02.06.2017 at 21:39

S/t > RLC tho

You're not the only one I've seen say that, I think they're about equal though honestly. Both pretty A game releases for space metal
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
02.06.2017 - 22:35
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Auntie Sahar on 02.06.2017 at 21:39

Written by RaduP on 02.06.2017 at 21:39

S/t > RLC tho

You're not the only one I've seen say that, I think they're about equal though honestly. Both pretty A game releases for space metal

Damn, I gotta agree,Saturndust is some of the best doom metal I've heard in a while
----
03.06.2017 - 04:50
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Ah, I was waiting for this one lol! Glad you like the album, although I'm with RaduP in believing that the S/T is better
03.06.2017 - 21:46
sbgmetal

Xenomorphs... lol
09.06.2017 - 16:52
Maratha

Fantastic work from these Brazilians. This could be commissioned to be the OST for The Void.
09.06.2017 - 17:14
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Maratha on 09.06.2017 at 16:52

This could be commissioned to be the OST for The Void.

Please! Great film and great album!
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
18.06.2017 - 07:18
Rating: 5
Dreiroth

Are you sure the reviewed album it's the same as the one in the photo?
18.06.2017 - 14:18
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Dreiroth on 18.06.2017 at 07:18

Are you sure the reviewed album it's the same as the one in the photo?

What makes you think it isn't?
----

~ II. VII
20.06.2017 - 06:59
Dreiroth

Quote:

Here listeners are treated to a very crunchy, hard-hitting brand of doom metal, complete with catchy, memorable riffs, very impressive drumming, and soaring, yelling type vocals that really serve to guide the music without seeming to overpower it.

Didn't hear any of this
20.06.2017 - 15:25
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Dreiroth on 20.06.2017 at 06:59

Didn't hear any of this

Maybe because I used a lot of subjective language with that quote that leaves that impression on me but not on you because holy shit, people hear and interpret music differently, imagine that!
----

~ II. VII
28.06.2017 - 09:29
HemisphereofWar

"As one might assume from a band name like Saturndust (and one would be correct), this is further embellished by a delicious undertone of whoosing, atmospheric effects oozing of psychedelic and sci fi influences, that would make the likes of Isaac Asimov and Frank Herbert smile with joy."

I read Frank Herbert, Saturndust, and Isaac Asimov in the same sentence. Now I am going to listen to this album.
----
See how it sings like a sad heart
And joyously screams out its pain
Sounds that build high like a mountain
Or notes that fall gently, like rain.
28.06.2017 - 22:25
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by HemisphereofWar on 28.06.2017 at 09:29

I read Frank Herbert, Saturndust, and Isaac Asimov in the same sentence. Now I am going to listen to this album.

Can't beat the classics
Philip K. Dick will forever be my favorite though
----

~ II. VII
06.07.2017 - 05:52
Dreiroth

Written by Auntie Sahar on 20.06.2017 at 15:25

Written by Dreiroth on 20.06.2017 at 06:59

Didn't hear any of this

Maybe because I used a lot of subjective language with that quote that leaves that impression on me but not on you because holy shit, people hear and interpret music differently, imagine that!

"Catchy memorable riffs and impressive drumming" doesn't look "subjective" language to me unless hitting alternately a snare and a cymbal at 60bpm (as in once every 3 seconds) can be considered as skill...
But yeah, no worries, you are right, I know that when I need to look for new cool music to listen I should not base myself on the hyper-inflated votes of the reviews.
07.07.2017 - 16:38
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Dreiroth on 06.07.2017 at 05:52

I know that when I need to look for new cool music to listen I should not base myself on the hyper-inflated votes of the reviews.

I dunno, being less of an ass could always help as well
----

~ II. VII

Hits total: 7384 | This month: 11