Metal Storm logo
Leprous - Debut New Song From Upcoming Album

Norwegian prog masters Leprous have released the first single from their upcoming fifth studio album, Malina, scheduled for release on August 25th via Inside Out Music. The band has also added two shows, in Oslo and Aarhus, to their European tour this fall. The new song is entitled "From The Flame". Check out the video below and share your thoughts on the tune!

The band checked in with the following comment: "'From the Flame' is definitely one of our favourite tracks from the album, with a strong hook and memorable melodies. Despite it sounding big and catchy, it also sounds pretty organic and it has a depth to it. We're super proud of the son and feel it represents Leprous 2017 very well!"

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Leprous
Posted: 16.06.2017 by robpal

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 22   Visited by: 203 users
16.06.2017 - 17:28
Dave FC
I've never thought i'd say this listening to a Leprous song but the day has arrived: this sucks, it's so shitty I can't believe it. And the video... Wtf? I'm super disappointed
16.06.2017 - 18:32
Eternity'sChild
Wow... where's the experimentations and the complexity within the song structures? (Unfortunately this really started to fade with every new album since Bilateral, but here it feels like the dropped all of this completely.) It's quite catchy and not bad, but it's not, what I think they're capable of. I hope it's just this one song. :/
16.06.2017 - 20:57
Lanthros
I loved it. His voice was spot on. Id love to him do a duet with Anekke.
16.06.2017 - 21:02
Doge of Venice
They did say they were trying for a more organise sound, and that they felt more like a rock band on this record. This feels like both. Though it's obviously has the feeling of the softer single on a rock band - I'd say this is probably pop.

Certainly not bad, but it's taken a few listens to adjust. Vocal hooks grew on me, as first listen was negative and I focused way too much on how it reminded me of lots of other pop hooks.

Not amazing, but it's definitely not awful. I expect there to be more twists and turns though - like Coal compared to The Cloak and Bilateral compared to Mb. Differentia.
16.06.2017 - 21:58
qlacs
"The Quaker"
I am listening right now to the song the first time, and I'm loving it. Einar is shining again with his voice finally, I was waiting for this since Bilateral (sort of, there were moments on the last album). It's not over complicated but the timing and the vocal sync is challenging enough, and I'm sure they just went with the flow. Yes it's bit poppy (ha!) but usually the songs they make videos for are not the most complex ones. And I'm also sure the rest of the album will satisfy the more proggy expectations.

In other news, is Oystein out of the band? He missed out some of their tour with Devin, I was expecting him to do some solos on the next visit... also I'm glad Simen is finally in the band, he's super cool.

Btw the intro reminds me of Supertramp's The Logical Song, lol
----
16.06.2017 - 22:12
Doge of Venice
Written by qlacs on 16.06.2017 at 21:58

In other news, is Oystein out of the band? He missed out some of their tour with Devin, I was expecting him to do some solos on the next visit... also I'm glad Simen is finally in the band, he's super cool.

Yeah, Oystein left. I believe it was on good terms though. They made a post on facebook. Essentially he had other commitments and couldn't commit 100% to the band.
16.06.2017 - 22:20
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Written by Doge of Venice on 16.06.2017 at 22:12

Yeah, Oystein left. I believe it was on good terms though. They made a post on facebook. Essentially he had other commitments and couldn't commit 100% to the band.

Yeah I've heard he's with his family now, but on the Devin tour they were saying it like it's temporary absence.
----
16.06.2017 - 22:27
Doge of Venice
Written by qlacs on 16.06.2017 at 22:20

Written by Doge of Venice on 16.06.2017 at 22:12

Yeah I've heard he's with his family now, but on the Devin tour they were saying it like it's temporary absence.

Maybe it was intended to be temporary, but looks like it isn't anymore.
16.06.2017 - 22:35
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Written by Doge of Venice on 16.06.2017 at 22:27

Maybe it was intended to be temporary, but looks like it isn't anymore.

As long as they bring back the guitar solos I'm fine with it lol
----
16.06.2017 - 23:15
Kais
It's a grower, no doubts about it. Has more of a structured and a rockish feel to it, yet still has that unique, intensifying Leprous? sound. Love it! Can't wait to hear the rest of Malina!
17.06.2017 - 03:00
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Straight up disappointing.
17.06.2017 - 03:19
Mc_Twist
Pretty simple but I like it.
17.06.2017 - 07:43
visiblenoise
Can't see how this would be disappointing unless you're still somehow hoping they'll go back to the Bilateral sound...I only liked it a bit but I expect it will grow on me.
17.06.2017 - 11:34
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
I think this happens every time doesn't it? When Leprous releases the first single off a new album, it's always a bit different and people are a bit taken off guard.

I agree with Kais that it still has that "intensifying Leprous? sound"
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
17.06.2017 - 12:57
Flyingbroom
Written by Dave FC on 16.06.2017 at 17:28

I've never thought i'd say this listening to a Leprous song but the day has arrived: this sucks, it's so shitty I can't believe it. And the video... Wtf? I'm super disappointed

I know. I wouldn't say I'm disappointed though, because given their last album, one could tell they were pursuing a direction very different from their initial one.
17.06.2017 - 22:34
Joe Zombie
I'm underwhelmed by this track. Hopefully the rest of the album is better. Just because they're calling themselves rock now doesn't mean they can't have the same complexity and dynamics their other work has.
18.06.2017 - 02:22
Doge of Venice
Written by Joe Zombie on 17.06.2017 at 22:34

I'm underwhelmed by this track. Hopefully the rest of the album is better. Just because they're calling themselves rock now doesn't mean they can't have the same complexity and dynamics their other work has.

I dunno, this didn't sound much less complex than many of the songs on the last 3 albums. There was just more vocals and less space between verse and chorus, and less dynamics, as you mentioned.
20.06.2017 - 21:08
Czerny Reiter
It's a single and I shall treat it as such.

Even so, despite not getting back the structures from Bilateral's finest, it's still an enjoyable romp.

Holding up hope for the song that features Ihsahn, though, these always flat-out slay.
23.06.2017 - 11:07
Cylon Spy
Written by BloodTears on 17.06.2017 at 11:34

I think this happens every time doesn't it? When Leprous releases the first single off a new album, it's always a bit different and people are a bit taken off guard.

I agree with Kais that it still has that "intensifying Leprous� sound"

My thoughts exactly.

I remember hearing The Cloak and thinking "what the hell is this shit?"
Then the full album came out and completely blew me away.
I definitely like this better than The Cloak as far as singles go.
26.06.2017 - 20:48
Arcesse Eum
I'm fine with this
----
As above, so below.
30.06.2017 - 12:57
8bitsAgo
Of coarse its not as frantic as their early work. But that's fine with me. I love these guys. However simple it is, it's still a solid catchy tune, and what's wrong with an easy listening alternative metal tune that is completely faultless?
30.06.2017 - 21:31
Sometimes best things are the simple ones. For me, this song is pretty good musically. But, after all, i would listen if this guys just fart.

Hits total: 4733 | This month: 8