Metal Storm logo
Rolling Stone's Top 100 Metal Albums of All Time

Original post

Posted by , 22.06.2017 - 01:11
So Rolling Stone released a top 100 metal albums of all time list, so I thought I'd put it into topsters and share it here. Thoughts?

I personally don't like it. The ranking is all over the place, and it left out a ton of stuff. I understand more extreme and undergroung releases logically wouldn't make it into a list by Rolling Stone, but I guess I just expected something a little better. It seems like they put no time or thought into the order.
02.10.2021 - 12:02
Rufus Valentine
Account deleted
Rolling Stone is basically a vehicle for the promotion of US music so it's unsurprising to see so many undeserving records on this list. However, it's actually nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be.

It's clear to anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of metal that the likes of Avenged Sevenfold, Rage Against The Machine, Evanescence, and Naked City (good band - but not even close to being metal) should be nowhere near a list of the best 100 metal albums.

You could also argue that artists such as Slipknot, White Zombie and Korn shouldn't be listed but it's to be expected as this is Rolling Stone, after all.

The inclusion of 'No Remorse' in the top 10 is fucking mind boggling - what about 'Ace Of Spades' or 'Overkill'?

However, I was pleasantly surprised to see the inclusion of Napalm Death, Kvelertak and Voivod!
02.10.2021 - 17:12
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by Guest on 02.10.2021 at 12:02

It's clear to anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of metal that the likes of Avenged Sevenfold, Rage Against The Machine, Evanescence, and Naked City (good band - but not even close to being metal) should be nowhere near a list of the best 100 metal albums.

I'd put Naked City's Torture Garden in my top 100 metal album of all times, corner stone of avantgarde, and there are enough grindcore elements in there to consider it metal
03.10.2021 - 11:19
Rufus Valentine
Account deleted
Written by Roman Doez on 02.10.2021 at 17:12

I'd put Naked City's Torture Garden in my top 100 metal album of all times, corner stone of avantgarde, and there are enough grindcore elements in there to consider it metal

The question as to whether an infeasibly obscure ensemble that combined multiple avant-garde styles was a metal band is entirely subjective. I don't think they were metal; you do - and that's ok.