05. Abanão
06. Evento
07. 1 De Novembro
08. Ruínas
09. Todos Os Santos
10. Lanterna Dos Afogados [Os Paralamas Do Sucesso cover]
11. Desastre [Spanish version] [bonus]

Additional info
Produced, mixed and mastered by Tue Madsen at Antfarm Studios, Germany.
Engineering assistant and additional recordings by Tiago Canadas at Poison Apple Studios, Portugal.
Pre-produced by Jon Phipps and Moonspell at Inferno Studios HQ, Portugal.
Artwork and layout by Joao Diogo.
Foto by Paulo Mendes.
Moonspell logo by Adriano Esteves Boa Livrança.

Orchestrations and arrangements by Jon Phipps.

Staff review by
nikarg
Rating:
Moonspell have returned with a concept album sung entirely in Portuguese language and focusing on the massive earthquake that took place in Lisbon in 1755, resulting in a devastating number of human casualties and a city turned to rubble. But you already know all that because the band has made quite an effort to promote these certain traits of their new album and this is called good marketing. The question is if 1755 lives up to the great expectations it created as soon as it was announced.

Read more ››
published 16.11.2017 | Comments (15)

Found in 32 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 36   Visited by: 815 users
22.06.2017 - 21:13
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Loved the last album a lot, looking forward to this one.
23.06.2017 - 00:16
Rating: 8
The Melting Snow

I want to learn portuguese. just to understand this album
15.10.2017 - 23:52
njordxxx

Written by The Melting Snow on 23.06.2017 at 00:16

I want to learn portuguese. just to understand this album

That's what I will try to do
29.10.2017 - 15:15
Polaria

----
Life is all the pain we endeavour.
29.10.2017 - 22:30
Pedro Pereira

Http://24.sapo.pt/vida/artigos/oica-aqui-em-exclusivo-1755-o-novo-album-dos-moonspell
30.10.2017 - 01:52
Nicko's Nose

Yeah full album is available, please allow us to rate.
31.10.2017 - 13:26
CECLOR

Its bad, very bad! Almost every song is the same and boring same bad riff all over. And this shit orchestal.. prevoius was perfect like irreligoius.. BAD BAD BAD BAD
31.10.2017 - 22:07
Rating: 10
SAY10

I've listened the album in full about a dozen times by now and I have to say that this is easily my favourite since Night Eternal. Obviously I can be biased by the fact that I'm portuguese and lyrics actually mean something to me, but I guess the music by itself is top notch, among the best in their discography. Love the orchestration, chorus and overall melody.

Fav songs: 1755, In Tremor Dei (nice touch with fado singer), Abanão and 1 De Novembro.
Less favorite: Todos os Santos (coincidentally the first single)
01.11.2017 - 11:28
Rating: 7
Sword_Chant

Haven't had a chance to check this out yet... Extinct was a grower but turned out to be an album I loved. I hope the same thing happens with this album.
03.11.2017 - 10:28
s_t_s

Written by Sword_Chant on 01.11.2017 at 11:28

Haven't had a chance to check this out yet... Extinct was a grower but turned out to be an album I loved. I hope the same thing happens with this album.

This is what I think too at least as far as Extinct is concerned but I really cannot get into 1755 From the first songs heard I thought I didn't like it, not meaning it's bad, just not my stuff. Really sad as I hoped to get an album I would love as much as I love Extinct
03.11.2017 - 11:34
The Melting Snow

It's growing on me. It has more guitar riffs than previous albums. Every song has multiple riffs which prevents the song from getting boring. The solos are subdued and few in number which is a bit disappointing. Extinct and Sin still have the best solos done by Ricardo, and he can do much better. (Riffs and solos in ruinas are the best here. must listen)

I miss the clean vocals. One of the best parts of the album is the clean vocals in In Tremor Dei. Songs like Ruinas and Evento could've easily had clean vocals. The growls are varied, which saves the day. Best example of that is in 1 De Novembro.

Best songs: Ruinas, 1 De Novembre, 1755
Almost filler material: Desastre, Abanao

now waiting for lyrics translations to decide whether this gets an 8 or a 9
03.11.2017 - 15:07
H_E_L

Written by SAY10 on 31.10.2017 at 22:07

I've listened the album in full about a dozen times by now and I have to say that this is easily my favourite since Night Eternal. Obviously I can be biased by the fact that I'm portuguese and lyrics actually mean something to me, but I guess the music by itself is top notch, among the best in their discography. Love the orchestration, chorus and overall melody.

Fav songs: 1755, In Tremor Dei (nice touch with fado singer), Abanão and 1 De Novembro.
Less favorite: Todos os Santos (coincidentally the first single)

I am a huge Moonspell fan, but I was a bit reluctant at first, when I heard the singles. However, ever since they released it for streaming it's been on repeat at home, at work and on the road. It's easily one of their best albums yet! I'm not even a fan of epic metal sounds, but this is exactly what was needed for describing the catastrophe, Also, I can understand most of the lyrics since Portuguese is a bit similar to my native language (Romanian). I cannot wait to see this masterpiece played live! \m/
----
H_E_L
03.11.2017 - 15:13
H_E_L

Forgot to mention - favourite tracks: 1755, Abanão, 1 de Novembro, Ruínas, Lanterna dos Afogados (this is an exceptional cover).
----
H_E_L
04.11.2017 - 11:23
The Melting Snow

Written by CECLOR on 31.10.2017 at 13:26

Its bad, very bad! Almost every song is the same and boring same bad riff all over. And this shit orchestal.. prevoius was perfect like irreligoius.. BAD BAD BAD BAD

...and the rating abuse begins.
04.11.2017 - 12:32
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by H_E_L on 03.11.2017 at 15:13

Forgot to mention - favourite tracks: 1755, Abanão, 1 de Novembro, Ruínas, Lanterna dos Afogados (this is an exceptional cover).

Romanian really is similar to Portuguese. I guess Romanians will get this album better for that reason
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
06.11.2017 - 11:27
Sword_Chant

It's not bad, but after listening to the album a few times, I don't find it to be anywhere near as captivating as Extinct was. The clean vocals are pretty much completely absent on this album, not that it's a bad thing, I think it would probably ruin these songs, but on Extinct they were added to the album in a way that really worked and added an extra dimension to the sound. I also feel that Extinct seemed more experimental as a whole musically which this one suffers from. The sound on a few of the songs feel very similar and after a 3rd listen I got a sense that some of the songs are a bit too monotonous/repetitive.
10.11.2017 - 03:37
Rating: 6
Nick Carter

Is it just me or every song sounds exactly the same?
----
#MetalIsForEveryone
10.11.2017 - 19:04
njordxxx

It's solid and different from their other stuff, but I welcome their new try Quite interesting theme and exotic sound probably derived from the language & some oriental elements developed since their recent stuff...
Two things I must add are that, as a fan of Moonspell, I need more clean vocals and gothic solemn atmosphere...
13.11.2017 - 05:10
reload3591

To those who may be confused by the direction taken with this album, I think this is an intentional throwback to their earlier Works like Anno Satane and Under the Moonspell with a bit of newer style like Alpha Noir mixed in. I prefer the newer stuff to the really old, but to each his own.
13.11.2017 - 11:04
Rating: 4
Tiago Rocha
Dark Lighthouse
Written by reload3591 on 13.11.2017 at 05:10

To those who may be confused by the direction taken with this album, I think this is an intentional throwback to their earlier Works like Anno Satane and Under the Moonspell

If people were confused, now they are even more confused. There are ZERO elements of pre 1995 Moonspell music in this. The direction taken here is pretty much the one taken in Extinct with the exception that song structures are simpler, poppier and cheesier especially after the two first tracks. Lyrics are quite accessible (probably due to the album concept) and are sung in portuguese. Nothing more, nothing less.
14.11.2017 - 13:03
X-FrEaK

Written by Tiago Rocha on 13.11.2017 at 11:04

To those who may be confused by the direction taken with this album, I think this is an intentional throwback to their earlier Works like Anno Satane and Under the Moonspell

If people were confused, now they are even more confused. There are ZERO elements of pre 1995 Moonspell music in this. The direction taken here is pretty much the one taken in Extinct with the exception that song structures are simpler, poppier and cheesier especially after the two first tracks. Lyrics are quite accessible (probably due to the album concept) and are sung in portuguese. Nothing more, nothing less.

I kind of understand that comment, although I wouldn't say Under The Moonspell or Anno Satanae, but more Under Satanae. There are some throwbacks to that record, mainly in the track 1 de Novembro, where the vocals reminded me of a more raw and brutal Fernando like on Under Satanae.

As for the album, not their best, the songs are kind of simple in structure, but nevertheless it's still a decent Moonspell album, something like 7.5/8.
----
14.11.2017 - 14:24
Rating: 4
Tiago Rocha
Dark Lighthouse
Written by X-FrEaK on 14.11.2017 at 13:03

I kind of understand that comment, although I wouldn't say Under The Moonspell or Anno Satanae, but more Under Satanae. There are some throwbacks to that record, mainly in the track 1 de Novembro, where the vocals reminded me of a more raw and brutal Fernando like on Under Satanae.

That baffles me because Under Satanae is just the re-recording of those two with better production, it may sound more actual but songs are the same, style is the same. And 1º de Novembro is one of the worst songs in here, it's always the same thing and the vocals are absolutely terrible, it sounds dreadful.

All of this of course is just my opinion, as for the album itself, it actually starts well with the first two tracks and Lanterna dos Afogados is a good ending, but all that's in between it's just not working. This being said, I liked the choice of singing in portuguese.
14.11.2017 - 17:19
Rating: 9
Vonpire

This (isto!)
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
16.11.2017 - 12:42
The Melting Snow

Still listening to this and enjoying a lot. Another thing that came to focus was the drumming. some really good work on songs like 1755 and 1 de novembro.

by the way, according to the rating this is Moonspell's second worst album bonkers!
16.11.2017 - 18:30
cobrapel
Concept One
Written by The Melting Snow on 16.11.2017 at 12:42

by the way, according to the rating this is Moonspell's second worst album bonkers!

And that's it. It's still a good album but, except The Butterfly Effect, hard to find a worst album. They got used to it too well
28.11.2017 - 17:25
Eduard0

I wouldn't trust the ratings very much... there are 11 "1" votes by newly created accounts
28.11.2017 - 18:34
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by cobrapel on 16.11.2017 at 18:30

And that's it. It's still a good album but, except The Butterfly Effect, hard to find a worst album. They got used to it too well

Darkness and Hope (and also Extinct, but that's just me) are far worse tha Butterfly Effect.

Anyway, on topic: 1755 is really good. I wasn't moved by the singles when I first heard them, but they feel much better in the album's whole. Gret stuff!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
28.11.2017 - 20:38
nikarg

There is plenty of vote abuse, that's why
28.11.2017 - 22:14
The Melting Snow

Written by nikarg on 28.11.2017 at 20:38

There is plenty of vote abuse, that's why

Yeah, that is quite usual on metalstorm.

anyway, 2-3 songs of the album have made it to my favorites list and i listen to them quite regularly. after reading the translations i like the album even more
29.11.2017 - 11:25
cobrapel
Concept One
After more listening i just can confirm my first idea, musically.
But i must say i like very much the concept and the deep meaning.

Hits total: 13836 | This month: 24