Metal Storm logo
VNV Nation

24.05.2006 - 05:29
Horlequism
Account deleted
VNV Nation is a band that I really used to like, and still do, back when I was really into techno. A lot of people think that every one of their songs sound the same and that it's just too simple and tedious to make the music that they make. So, why not? I mean, if it has a great beat, catchy melodies, and provoking lyrics then I say why the hell not...Empires is my favorite album from these guys...I suppose I like how they're dark and not all poppy and shit...I still like techno music but a lot of it is just to happy and upbeat...
29.05.2006 - 23:33
EddieGunner
Valkoinen kuolem
well i heard for this band from friend hes to into them but i member one song i think it's named Buttefly in fact thats the only one i know of them
----
On pirun vaikea selvitä hengissä hautaan saakka
It is damn difficult to stay alive till the grave
Erno Paasilinna
:devil:
22.06.2006 - 16:42
danzig111
Account deleted
I don't think they're the best ov their genre but they are great, i have a few ov their songs on my ipod. A friend ov mine met them in the hotel he was staying at when he was on vacation in New York.
10.07.2006 - 15:48
Lioncourt

I listen to it mostly because of their lyrics. "Beloved" is something really relaxing. Industrial music is something really good, dispite the fact that it's origin is in nazism.
----

Think twice before you buy furr! http://www.strasbourgcurieux.com/fourrure/
11.07.2006 - 17:37
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by Lioncourt on 10.07.2006 at 15:48

Industrial music is something really good, dispite the fact that it's origin is in nazism.

Where the hell did you get this from? Besides NON and Grey Wolves, most industrial bands have ideologies that are the opposite of nazism...
23.07.2006 - 23:43
danzig111
Account deleted
Nazi-Industrial?!?!

Oh man i really hope you guys are kidding! I've never heard such foolishness in my life
24.07.2006 - 15:24
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
Written by Guest on 23.07.2006 at 23:43

Nazi-Industrial?!?!

Oh man i really hope you guys are kidding! I've never heard such foolishness in my life

For a Dragonforce fan, you have to be lying

I have an album from VNV Nations, I just have never gotten around to hearing it, I guess I got interested after reading this thread.
I just find it funny, that for a genre that are against facist-like regimes lyrics wise, and made as an anti-music, and someone can pull out some nazi crap.
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
24.07.2006 - 20:17
danzig111
Account deleted
@Black Wizard: wow.......i don't know what to say to that.
25.07.2006 - 05:01
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
what the hell is the nazi-industrial shit that you're all going on about...I really agree with danzig111....what bullshit...

I'll say it again and again until I'm blue in the face...lyrical content does not define a sub-genre...
29.07.2006 - 01:50
Nyctophobia
Account deleted
Lioncourt...that was cute.

I have been studying industrial music as a sort of hobby for about two years now. During this time, I have been able to trace the origin of the music to as far back as 1913, a year before World War I, and therefore by extension, before Nazism. If memory serves, this is ten or eleven years before the writing of Mein Kampf.

Anyway, back to 1913. During this year, Luigi Russolo, a futurist music theorist, published The Art of Noise. In this book he talked about the development of sound, and how musical art is approaching a state of "noise."

Allow me to quote a passage:

"First of all, musical art looked for the soft and limpid purity of sound. Then it amalgamated different sounds, intent upon caressing the ear with suave harmonies. Nowadays musical art aims at the shrilliest, strangest and most dissonant amalgams of sound. Thus we are approaching noise sound. This revolution of music is paralleled by the increasing proliferation of machinery sharing in human labor. In the pounding atmosphere of great cities as well as in the formerly quiet countryside, machines today create such a large number of varied noises that pure sound, with its littleness and its monotony, now fails to arouse any emotion."

As you can see, this passage describes pure industrial music, the kind made by the likes of SPK and Throbbing Gristle in the seventies and early eighties. This sound of course turned into Rammstein, Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, etc, over the course of the last decade.

For those interested, here is a link to an english translation to Russolo's work:
http://www.ubu.com/historical/gb/russolo_noise.pdf
08.08.2006 - 21:18
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
@Nyctophobia
You are merely mentioning an early influence here (and not only on industrial, but on all forms of modern and postßmodern art) , actual industrial music was born in the 70s... People have been doing interesting and experimental sound manipulation long before Throbbing Gristle reared its ugly head (lol, I like the sound of that) but that does not make them industrial, that is an anachronistic reverse categorization.

Either way, this is a VNV Nation thread, I think we should move any discussions about industrial's alleged link to nazism to the Industrial Music thread, which is for god only knows what reason in the alternative metal forum...
16.08.2006 - 21:46
Lioncourt

Nah seriously. My friend went to an industrial music festival and it was nazibased. He is not a nazi though. But they gave him a gun and all. It was all with the nazi idealism and all.
----

18.08.2006 - 19:32
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Your friend went to an industrial music festival and they handed him a gun? Wow...that's fucked up...that would never happen here...
19.08.2006 - 10:38
Lioncourt

Well that was not in a main event, it was more of an after party or so.
I do not know in which country this happened.
----

23.08.2006 - 21:08
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
My guess is it was an actual Nazi rally and not an industrial festival
Once again - industrial (except for bands like NON) has nothing to do with nazi ideology. Many of them use Nazi symbolism but only as a means of pointing out the fashistic tendencies of modern politics.
23.08.2006 - 23:12
Lioncourt

I do not think that my friend would ever go in a Nazi rally.
----

24.08.2006 - 03:59
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@jupitreas: Hahahaha...you know what? I was picturing people in my head going to industrial fesitvals in Europe and having to wear certain nazi attire while attending or having to purchase it at the door if they weren't wearing any or they wouldn't be allowed into the venue...heh