04. Lonkkaluut
05. Tequila
06. Ukon Wacka
07. Korvesta Liha
08. Koivu Ja Tähti
09. Vaarinpolkka
10. Surma
11. Iron Fist [Motörhead cover] [limited edition bonus]

Silver moonlight, massive forests, the riverside, and an old man with old-fashioned clothes, a curious laugh on his lips, and a kind, gentle look - it may not remind you of the usual style of metal music, but when you hear the roaring screams and riffs, the true nature of these Finns will be apparent. The famous Finnish group Korpiklaani is unrivaled in the use of Finnish folk instruments, and with twelve beautiful albums has long enjoyed an unassailable position in folk metal.

Ukon Wacka is the tenth album of the Finnish gypsies, challenging death by using a story from the heart of mythology in Finland. In Finnish mythology, Ukko is one of the most powerful gods, and Ukon Wacka is a ceremony for sacrificing to him. In fact, Ukko is another name for Thor, and as such he wields a hammer as Thor did. This ceremony was especially popular in Finland during the 19th century, and it was full of celebration, passion, and sentiments that the ceremony, every year in the month of May, in the spring season, with the planting of the crops, would make the weather suitable throughout the year.

Apart from the contents of this particular album, which represents the narrative of Jonne Järvelä, I have always been delighted with the beautiful, unique musical pleasures of folk. From the very moment the album's celebration starts, Juho Kauppinen's passionate accordion melodies drive every listener into enjoying the companionship of these feisty Finns. Jaakko "Hittavainen" Lemmetty combines the power of all the usual metal instruments, guitars and bass guitars, with sounds embedded in folk music, such as mandolin and mouth harp, and produces the sound that we always have from these Finnish gypsies. But the sound of Jonne Järvelä's voice, with his special accent, plays the first role in expressing the album's subject matter. "Louhen Yhdeksäs Poika" is a powerful and passionate introduction to Korpiklaani for Ukko. "Päät Pois Tai Hirteen" is a great cover of the old Finnish hard rock band Peer Günt and is very timely placed on the album.

But as the gala goes on in the continuation of the album's tracks, the story has a sad ending to me; "Surma," or "death," is ultimately the victim of Ukko, and the Ukon Wacka album is a gift from Korpiklaani to Ukko with a full-blown atmosphere from the old Finnish culture to the hearts of others. It's a continuation of the robust work of this adept folk metal band.

So if you are able to find a 45-minute stomp in yourself, do not hesitate to join this burning night fire?

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by R.Baldur | 06.07.2017

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 1   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 25 users
08.07.2017 - 18:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I like way how you describe nature in opening part, such reviews and things is nice to read, really nice, I can image forrest and nature there
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 1691 | This month: 6