01. Impulse
02. Deathvaluation
03. Kill The Cult
04. One-Eyed Nation
05. Anger Line
06. Earth Scar
07. Never
08. Amen

The awful tragedy that hit Decapitated ten years ago brought important changes to the band, with new members joining and with the guitarist and main songwriter, Vogg, deciding to switch to a new style. Most of the early tech-death era fans hate this change, but it is a reality and they either have to accept it and appreciate Decapitated's new music for what it is or just listen to something else. Anticult is bound to get the Polish extreme metallers some new admirers, but it will almost surely send away forever many of the old ones that were still following the band.

Imagine that the long-awaited new album is an ice cream; the main flavour is groove thrash, served with some death metal syrup on top, plus some technical and melodic sprinkles. The music definitely has less things in common with Nile or Dying Fetus for example than it has with Pantera or Soulfly. This is mainly due to Rafał Piotrowski's vocals that sound like Phil Anselmo's and Max Cavalera's vocal cords were put in a blender on one hand and Vogg's guitar work, paying the ultimate homage to Dimebag, on the other.

So, Decapitated have changed so much that their music now belongs to a different genre. If someone listened to Winds Of Creation and Nihility or even Organic Hallucinosis and then Anticult, it would be very difficult to suspect it is the same band. The only thing connecting these two periods is the pure genius and amazing skill of Vogg. The super-talented guitarist manages to craft a plethora of heavy and catchy riffs in this album that will give you more headbanging and mosh-pit opportunities than you can handle and the guitar tone is so immense that it is capable of demolishing small buildings. At the same time, his oriental-sounding leads and solos are there to offer some melodic respite from the sheer aggression and relentlessness of the riffing.

As far as the other members' performance is concerned, there are not a lot of things to say, since Vogg is the absolute star in this album. Many people find it difficult to digest Rafał Piotrowski's vocals and I would prefer Covan too, but it's not possible. I would have loved to hear Vitek as well in this album, since Michał Łysejko's drumming, although consistent, does not reach the technicality and powerfulness of Vitek. Having said that, the rhythm section is tight and solid and the excellent production really lifts Anticult one level up.

Listening to an album, which clocks in at around 38 minutes and lacks any unnecessary fat, is an enjoyable and easy task. "Kill The Cult" and "Earth Scar" are probably my favourite tracks, both being as groovy and catchy as they come. And this is coming from someone who generally doesn't appreciate groove metal.

Granted, the style that the band now plays is not very original and it may sound dated to a few people. Nevertheless, they play it well and Anticult is an album that you will spin a lot and sing along with its childish lyrics, if you decide to give it a chance. If, on the other hand, what you want and expect to hear is "you know, old Decapitated, dude", then don't bother at all with this record.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 9

Written on 02.08.2017 by Only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud!

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 232 users
03.08.2017 - 05:08
Rating: 5
Neoxx07

Thank you, but i will stick with the first 4 albums. We as fans have an option to accept their new sound or not, i will not do it. the early stuff works fine for me, no need to go further.
03.08.2017 - 12:03
nikarg

Written by Neoxx07 on 03.08.2017 at 05:08

Thank you, but i will stick with the first 4 albums. We as fans have an option to accept their new sound or not, i will not do it. the early stuff works fine for me, no need to go further.

Yes I get your point, this is what my first paragraph is about. I have said the same thing as you for Metallica and a few other of my favourite bands. I was never a huge Decapitated fan, so I didn't mind the change in style so much.
03.08.2017 - 15:14
Malignar

Pleasantly surprised after hearing 3 songs. I really disliked everything about their first releases other than Winds of Creation. tech death or whatever they were playing after WoC was not my thing. Two of the three songs Ive heard from this one sound like death thrash rather than groove metal, I may pick this up.
08.08.2017 - 05:10
Opethian

Written by Neoxx07 on 03.08.2017 at 05:08

First 3 for me personally. I can't get passed the vocals come their 4th album and onward ...
12.08.2017 - 06:16
Rating: 8
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Enjoyed both the review and album.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
07.09.2017 - 11:02
Raven Of Death

The early albums are the best for me

Hits total: 6940 | This month: 3