07. Sterility
08. Sugar Hole
09. The Weight
10. Disfigured
11. Inevitable
12. Absolutes

Additional info
Label: Relapse Records

Produced and recorded by Dave Otero at Flatline Audio.

Staff review by
Doc G.
Rating:
Primitive Man - Caustic. The name alone flies in the face of all that is pretentious, and yes, their music does too. Despite that, it's the type of album that leaves you unsure as to whether you're too dumb to understand it, or just dumb enough to try and find a deeper album below the surface.

Read more ››
published 24.10.2017 | Comments (13)

Found in 9 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 29   Visited by: 175 users
07.08.2017 - 16:28
3rdWorld
China was a neat
The amount of symphonic parts and brass instrumentation in this teaser boggles my mind.

07.08.2017 - 21:32
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by 3rdWorld on 07.08.2017 at 16:28
The amount of symphonic parts and brass instrumentation in this teaser boggles my mind.

Indeed, they are really going for a progressive touch on this one.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.08.2017 - 06:41
Desert Father

Very excited for this one
----
"Truly, my child, if I were allowed to see my sins, three or four men would not be enough to weep
for them." - Abba Dioscorus
08.08.2017 - 21:54
3rdWorld
China was a neat
"Denver's nihilistic trio PRIMITIVE MAN return with Caustic, their second full-length offering of soul-crushing blackened doom and noise-ridden claustrophobia. Recorded and produced at Flatline Audio by Dave Otero (Cobalt, Cephalic Carnage, Cattle Decapitation), Caustic is 12 songs and 75+ minutes of bloodcurdling howls, abysmal tones and dense, unsettling feedback spewing forth a cesspool of utter misery. With lyrical themes ranging from political corruption, personal struggle and the crumbling social climate facing the world today, Caustic serves as a cataclysmic soundtrack for a world gone awry."

12.08.2017 - 22:53
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Fuck I'm pumped for this shit
06.09.2017 - 15:15
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Fucking FINALLY
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
15.09.2017 - 13:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Just finished the first spin of the album. Wow, just, wow. Indeed progressive music but also a lot of European flowery power metal in it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.09.2017 - 20:43
Rating: 9
mz

I'm happy that at least they did not include female vocals and keyboards.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
15.09.2017 - 22:56
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Well shit, their debut was as heavy an album as I have ever heard. Is this one different?
----
rekt
15.09.2017 - 23:43
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.09.2017 at 13:08

Just finished the first spin of the album. Wow, just, wow. Indeed progressive music but also a lot of European flowery power metal in it.

Like a more extreme version of Sonata Arctica?
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
16.09.2017 - 03:44
VIG
Account deleted
I really can't wait to hear it.
06.10.2017 - 22:13
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Not perfect, but probably their best so far.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
08.10.2017 - 22:29
VIG
Account deleted
Written by flightoficarus on 06.10.2017 at 22:13

Not perfect, but probably their best so far.

Who said it was perfect? That's a big word, my friend. It's a great album imo, not sure if it's better than Scorn yet, I need to give it a couple more spins.
24.10.2017 - 16:54
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
It's not better than Scorn, but really the gap in quality has a lot less to do with the music itself and more with the amount of space it takes up here. 40 minutes of Primitive Man is about as much of this abysmal, soul raping sludgey filth that one can really take before it starts to all sort of blur together, become overly monotonous, and go from "fuck yeah this rips" to "ok, this is pretty boring and needs more variation." Not a bad release, but sort of suffers from being "too much of a good thing," for lack of better words.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
24.10.2017 - 18:16
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Auntie Sahar on 24.10.2017 at 16:54

It's not better than Scorn, but really the gap in quality has a lot less to do with the music itself and more with the amount of space it takes up here. 40 minutes of Primitive Man is about as much of this abysmal, soul raping sludgey filth that one can really take before it starts to all sort of blur together, become overly monotonous, and go from "fuck yeah this rips" to "ok, this is pretty boring and needs more variation." Not a bad release, but sort of suffers from being "too much of a good thing," for lack of better words.

Idk, I thought it did a fairly good job of justifying the length, and honestly I'd consider it their best. Seemed fairly varied (or at least as much as they could have managed without sacrificing the aesthetic)
24.10.2017 - 18:19
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Alex F on 24.10.2017 at 18:16

Idk, I thought it did a fairly good job of justifying the length, and honestly I'd consider it their best. Seemed fairly varied (or at least as much as they could have managed without sacrificing the aesthetic)

It could be a slow grower, need to listen to it in full a few more times for sure
----

~ II. VII
24.10.2017 - 19:06
Rating: 9
mz

Written by Auntie Sahar on 24.10.2017 at 16:54

I just finished listening to it. It is their best yet, and I actually find is varied enough to justify the length. It has this sections of , eh, "post metal" in the middle of songs that are typically less bludgeony and yet fitting enough. My only complain is that, unlike Indian, they did not incorporate the noise ingredient into the songs, and put them in separate, short tracks.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
24.10.2017 - 19:43
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by mz on 24.10.2017 at 19:06

My only complain is that, unlike Indian, they did not incorporate the noise ingredient into the songs, and put them in separate, short tracks.

That would definitely be more interesting if they indeed fused that noise into the larger tracks, I kinda felt the same way about the debut. However, that's just a fleeting idea, I'd really have to hear what it sounds like to decide whether or not the two work better standing alone or not

Or maybe Ethan has some noise side project worth looking into?
----

~ II. VII
24.10.2017 - 20:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Auntie Sahar on 24.10.2017 at 19:43

Or maybe Ethan has some noise side project worth looking into?

Wouldn't that be Primtive Man's noise release?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.10.2017 - 21:32
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.10.2017 at 20:09

The demo? That's not ALL noise, is it? I've honestly never listened to it in full but I do remember they played something off of it at Roadburn and it sounded as sludgey as anything else off Scorn or this album
----

~ II. VII
24.10.2017 - 21:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Auntie Sahar on 24.10.2017 at 21:32

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.10.2017 at 20:09

The demo? That's not ALL noise, is it? I've honestly never listened to it in full but I do remember they played something off of it at Roadburn and it sounded as sludgey as anything else off Scorn or this album

I remember it as all noise done by only Ethan btw. Haven't played for years now, though.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.10.2017 - 21:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Oh yeah the three covers aren't noise.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.10.2017 - 22:38
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.10.2017 at 21:40

I remember it as all noise done by only Ethan btw. Haven't played for years now, though.

Pretty sure they played this, which isn't noise either, but I hear ya
----

~ II. VII
25.10.2017 - 00:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Argh my pre-order with a tshirt has not arrived yet!!! I want to hear the real deal nooooooowwww!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.10.2017 - 04:08
Diverge

I'm quite impressed with this and had no difficulty with the length. Might have to bump up to a 9.
10.12.2018 - 18:03
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
I am very late to this party - my newest obsession, what a band. But they should learn to use their noisier parts within their sludge.
11.01.2019 - 17:12
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 10.12.2018 at 18:03

I am very late to this party - my newest obsession, what a band. But they should learn to use their noisier parts within their sludge.

I gotta agree with this, quite a fan of both Primitive Man's sludge and noise incarnations and Steel Casket from last year especially was fucking sick, but it'd be really cool to see the two sounds merged. Wonder if they ever will be
----

~ II. VII
12.02.2021 - 01:47
Rafael Cevidanes
Account deleted
I'm not a newbie to listening to the countless variation of doom metal, but I never heard of these guys until very recently in a Facebook doom/sludge group. I took their entire discography to listen in 3 days and I must confess that due to the exaggeration of noise ambience used in most of their material, especially the very annoying amplifier distortions in every single start of a song, I got some migraine and this came to be the only thing that really appealed to me. They've got visceral talent and potential and this album stands out as a pretty much diverse effort inside the whole genre. I'd love to hear more of them like this.
01.03.2021 - 10:00
Rating: 7
Mehrad

They are pretty cool , it gets a little samey though
----
Ride a horse that's cleaving through the air and space of dreams.

Hits total: 3545 | This month: 31