09. The Warning
10. God Given
11. Meet Your Master
12. The Greater Good
13. The Great Destroyer
14. Another Version Of The Truth
15. In This Twilight
16. Zero-Sum

It seems to me like the whole world of music criticism has one big collective hard-on for Nine Inch Nails' latest magnum opus Year Zero - whether in print or online, reviewers do their best to construct the most pretentious and convoluted diatribes about how Trent's midlife crisis influences his music, the social significance of the album's guerrilla marketing tactics and how cool the color-changing thermo-chrome disc is. In the midst of all this what often seems to be lost is an honest look at how good the music on this album actually is. And the truth is, my friends, that Year Zero is an excellent album that really deserves to be heard, whether you want to consider its context or not.

Released a mere two years after the pop-oriented With Teeth and seven years after the overindulgence that was The Fragile, Year Zero really to me seems to have the most in common with The Downward Spiral (unquestionably NIN's finest effort). Once again we have noisy and cluttered songs that do their best to be grating to listen to but end up being shamelessly catchy. Also, once again we have an album that is really very close in sonic texture to what most pundits understand to be industrial music - the distorted synths, glitchy rhythms and fractured structures would definitely not be out of place on a Coil or Controlled Bleeding album. Naturally, there are still quite a few rock, metal and pop moments here. After all, this is Nine Inch Nails - the band that brought industrial music to the mainstream.

The first highlight of the album is "Survivalism" - an angry and anthemic song that represents as close as this album gets to rock music. The beautiful ambient piece "Another Version Of The Truth" is the logical opposite of this and indeed another highlight of the album. This is not to say that any of the other songs are particular mistakes - "God Given" offers an infectious electro-funk groove reminding me of Prince's glory days in the 80s, while "The Warning" could be the catchiest thing since the Pixies. "The Great Destroyer" starts as a rock song, delves into Queen-like territories and ends with a complete deconstruction freak-out a'la Download. Considering how noisy and harsh this album sounds upon initial hearing, it is a very pleasant experience to uncover these gems as we get more acquainted with the music.

Just as few bands had any chance at all against The Downward Spiral in 1995, so will it be very hard for anyone to release anything better than Year Zero this year (especially in the industrial rock/metal genre). Malcontents love to bash NIN for their pop leanings; however, seriously - there is no denying the genius of this music and it should definitely be a part of your collection this year.

Written on 26.04.2007 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 94 users
26.04.2007 - 06:19
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Yes everyone seems to have a big hard on for this band, but i think NIN sucks. Why does everyone think that each release has amazing music. Being a metal head i see this band as industrial rock, they don't even really belong here. Rammstein deserves more credit than NIN.
26.04.2007 - 22:05
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Survivalism is great. The rest is a bit average. Well, that's pretty much it
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
26.04.2007 - 22:53
LethargyMan

Damn straight. I actually like NIN for their pop leanings, actually... it sort of becomes a weird mish-mash of the "mainstream" and the obscure.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
27.04.2007 - 17:35
Dr Ikari
Account deleted
This album still hasn't grown on me, and I'm a huge NIN fan. I guess I'll have to wait another little bit.
28.04.2007 - 11:13
Rating: 6
Slyfang

Written by Guest on 26.04.2007 at 06:19

Yes everyone seems to have a big hard on for this band, but i think NIN sucks. Why does everyone think that each release has amazing music. Being a metal head i see this band as industrial rock, they don't even really belong here. Rammstein deserves more credit than NIN.

if you hate NIN then abstain yourself from judging

and never compare them to Rammstein.. again

the album was great nontheless
28.04.2007 - 19:53
Bleeding_Rainbow

They may not be too metal, but it was a great album, I've been down since day one with these guys, they've only gotten better.
29.04.2007 - 14:40
Merchant of Doom

Kudos for going back to a fairly uncompromising industrial sound, but this is not something we haven't heard before. It's quite tiresome, actually. A few good tracks, but I preferred the mellower 'With Teeth'... Maybe I'm getting old...
07.09.2007 - 10:01
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Written by Guest on 26.04.2007 at 06:19

Yes everyone seems to have a big hard on for this band, but i think NIN sucks.

Not really a band, more Trent Reznor, singular.
Why does everyone think that each release has amazing music.

You consistently refer to this ambiguous "everyone", and i assure you fans dont love every album.
Being a metal head i see this band as industrial rock,
they don't even really belong here. Rammstein deserves more credit than NIN.

Ooo they don't belong here. NIN isn't here. The profile is INACTIVE.
Ministry is active. KMFDM is active. The freaking Deftones are active. Static-X... I could list for days about bands that people feel "don't belong here." Dualist, closed-minded metal nazis who feel it is their duty to lump everything into two categories: Tr00 Metal and non-metal.
Go listen to the Lost Highway soundtrack.
I guarantee 88.8% of NIN fans became Rammstein fans.
As far as musical diversity goes, Rammstein pale in comparison to NIN.
But why does one always have to be better, right? (Duuuuuaaaaalllisssmm)

Now back on topic, Year Zero is vastly disappointing.
"The Fragile", with its so-called overindulgence, was definitely the climax of Trent Reznor's career. "And All That Could Have Been" gave me the closure I needed, with "Still" being the focal point.
30.06.2009 - 02:40
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Introspekrieg on 07.09.2007 at 10:01

Now back on topic, Year Zero is vastly disappointing.
"The Fragile", with its so-called overindulgence, was definitely the climax of Trent Reznor's career. "And All That Could Have Been" gave me the closure I needed, with "Still" being the focal point.

That's exactly my thought.

Year Zero kinda lost the feeling in most of their songs. Even With Teeth had more atmospheric industrial climate than this one, and that's the aspect of NIN I most appreciate.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
05.01.2010 - 12:51
Rating: 9
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I feel this is NIN best release since Downward Spiral. The production is off the charts, the diversity of the songs keeps me from getting bored and when I want to take a break from pure unadulturated "metal" I can play this disc anytime and be satisfied.
----
rekt

Hits total: 4483 | This month: 7