Metal Storm logo
The Duds

03.09.2017 - 03:00
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
What songs do you think are the 1 song that doesn't belong on an otherwise fantastic album? The album that you gave a 9 or 10 to, but has that 1 song that simply doesn't live up to the rest. Or maybe it's the song that stops you from giving it a 9 or 10? It doesn't have to be a bad song in itself, just when compared to the rest.
My picks include Take On All the World from Judas Priest's Killing Machine, At The Sound Of The Demon Bell from Mercyful Fate's Melissa, Return To The Fourth World from Sinergy's To Hell And Back and, probably a controversial pick, The Ripper from Judas Priest's Sad Wings Of Destiny.
What are your duds?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
03.09.2017 - 17:03
3rdWorld
China was a neat
I remember some similar topic already existing? Have you searched though?

Off hand, I can say Machine Head's Unto The Locust which has a really pussy sounding closer track with irritating child choruses or something If I remember correctly which really made me hate that record.
08.09.2017 - 17:04
Barey

Written by M C Vice on 03.09.2017 at 03:00

What songs do you think are the 1 song that doesn't belong on an otherwise fantastic album? The album that you gave a 9 or 10 to, but has that 1 song that simply doesn't live up to the rest. Or maybe it's the song that stops you from giving it a 9 or 10? It doesn't have to be a bad song in itself, just when compared to the rest.
My picks include Take On All the World from my pocket girl apk[/url] Judas Priest's Killing Machine, At The Sound Of The Demon Bell from Mercyful Fate's Melissa, Return To The Fourth World from Sinergy's To Hell And Back and, probably a controversial pick, The Ripper from Judas Priest's Sad Wings Of Destiny.
What are your duds?

In my opinion, the song is L.A. Love by Fergie. That's an uninspiring song!
17.10.2017 - 10:54
yasir7729

In my opinion, the song is L.A. Love by Fergie. That's an uninspiring song!

____
vital
17.10.2017 - 15:59
VIG
Account deleted
The Ripper is a good song. As far as I remember so is At The Sound Of The Demon Bell.
17.10.2017 - 16:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 17.10.2017 at 15:59

The Ripper is a good song. As far as I remember so is At The Sound Of The Demon Bell.

Those are both great songs and aren't duds at all.

A true I would call Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting on No Place For Disgrace by Flotsam & Jetsam. MY God wat a terrible cover. Another one would be Anarchy In The Uk on So Far, So Good, So What... by Megadeth. it is mostly covers which are the true duds.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.10.2017 - 16:13
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.10.2017 at 16:11

Written by Guest on 17.10.2017 at 15:59

Those are both great songs and aren't duds at all.

A true I would call Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting on No Place For Disgrace by Flotsam & Jetsam. MY God wat a terrible cover. Another one would be Anarchy In The Uk on So Far, So Good, So What... by Megadeth. it is mostly covers which are the true duds.

Yeah, The Ripper is awesome, and Mercyful Fate has never made anything bad for me, and that F&S cover song is horrible!
19.10.2017 - 14:05
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
I never said they had to be BAD songs, I just don't think The Ripper and Demon Bell are up to the standards of the rest of the albums. I'm tempted to skip those when listening to the albums, so I can get to the better ones.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
20.10.2017 - 18:28
VIG
Account deleted
Written by M C Vice on 19.10.2017 at 14:05

I never said they had to be BAD songs, I just don't think The Ripper and Demon Bell are up to the standards of the rest of the albums. I'm tempted to skip those when listening to the albums, so I can get to the better ones.

But The Ripper and Demon Bell ARE up to the standards of the rest of their albums.
20.10.2017 - 21:47
Metren
Dreadrealm
Pretty much every Dream Theater ballad apart from Space-Dye Vest and Wait For Sleep is a goddamn dud imo. Songs like The Spirit Carries On are especially boring and ruin otherwise good albums.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
20.10.2017 - 22:44
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Metren on 20.10.2017 at 21:47

Pretty much every Dream Theater ballad apart from Space-Dye Vest and Wait For Sleep is a goddamn dud imo. Songs like The Spirit Carries On are especially boring and ruin otherwise good albums.

Agree on the concept, totally disagrree with the ones you named Space-Dye Vest is the true dud out of Awake - for me the album truly ends at the end of Scarred. And while I kinda agree on Wait For Sleep (which is decent, but nothing more, and sure it does break the album's flow), I do feel The Spirit Carries On has its rightful place On Metropolis II
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
21.10.2017 - 02:19
blackwreath13

I think an obvious one is Escape, the only chink in Ride the Lightning's armour.

Also I've never been able to get into Funeral Fog off De Mysteriis...
21.10.2017 - 18:23
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Thats an easy onr for me - "The Dragontower" on Keep Of Kalessins Reptilian. Keep Of Kalessin have made squeeky-clean BM for some time, but it's been solid for what it is. Reptilian was a lot of fun (ok, maybe not 9 or 10 good), but The Dragontower was a really sad, desperate attempt at trying to go extremely mainstream (also came out around the same time they competed on Eurovision).
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
22.10.2017 - 00:16
VIG
Account deleted
Walk off of Pantera's Vulgar Display Of Power is an easy one for me.
26.10.2017 - 00:39
VPeter

Devin Townsend's Ocean Machine is a stellar record but the last 2 songs are so odd, they feel like leftovers from a previous album.
The songs themselves are not that bad but they don't fit in with the overall sound of the album.
29.10.2017 - 12:59
TeachNThrash

Hot Love off of Twisted Sister's fifth album Love is for Suckers. Also, The Price off of Stay Hungry.

Invaders off Number of the Beast was wack.
29.10.2017 - 14:03
Cy Nide

Changes and FX from Black Sabbath Vol 4. I skip those every time.