03. She Rides
04. Soul On Fire
05. Am I Demon
06. Mother
07. Possession
08. End Of Time
09. The Hunter [Albert King cover]
10. Evil Thing

And so it begins, the solo career of the sinister reincarnation of Jim Morrison, and boy what début it is.

First of all, lets discuss the album cover, the simple demonic skull, white on black. The album art really gives off the feeling of the music, simple, yet dark and sinister, with an incredible energy coming from the four piece band. To fully appreciate the energy in the music one should watch Chuck Biscuits performing in the music videos for the songs 'She Rides' and 'Am I Demon', he puts such an explosive energy into such simple drum lines.

The album opens with 'Twist Of Cain' a wacky, almost funky song that sounds like a ferocious animal kept in a small cage, the high energy kept in a slower paced rhythm making an altogether powerful song. The album then moves through the fun upbeat song 'Not Of This World' to the slow paced 'She Rides' where the Jim Morrison becomes most apparent, a song that has "cool" written all over it. But who's to forget the eternal rock 'n' roll anthem 'Mother'? A song that is virtually unforgettable from the moment it's played.

The first six tracks on the album completely blow the final four out of the water, which are by all means great tracks, but standing next to songs like 'Mother' and 'Twist Of Cain' they seem somewhat weak. 'Possesion' has a more punkish feel to it than the rest of the album, but with not so memorable riffs or vocals, and last but not least 'The Hunter', with a very cool catchy driving main riff, great intense vocals, but once again does not stand up to the first six tracks.

An almost flawless album, enjoyable to all walks of life, from metalheads, all the way to punkers, or anyone who loves rock 'n' roll for that matter. The only depressing thought this album leaves is that there is little in the rest of the Danzig discography that even came close to living up to this.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by Doc G. | 26.04.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 119 users
27.04.2007 - 00:54
Rating: 9
Lucas
Mr. Noise
I love this album, definitely Danzig's best effort. Some great songs on here, and I think 'Evil Thing' is a very overlooked song. I love this.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
06.10.2007 - 03:29
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
The album that turned me onto Glenn Danzig! I remember being 14 years old and first owning this , Great to sing along to, it fvcking rocks I just learned about a month ago that "The Hunter" isn't an origional Danzig track.
05.07.2008 - 12:34
Rating: 9
Timelord

This is a great album! A friend of mine picked this up when it first came out and having been a huge Misfits fan growing up, along with the dislike of the horrible productions of Samhain(which is basically what Danzig is) I was skeptical to say the least. When I put it in the tape deck (yes back in the heyday of cassettes,which I still have btw) I was blown away at the rawness yet soulful feel of the album. Every track on this release is worthy enough to be on here. John Christ was a perfect fit for this sound. A huge plus to "Danzig" and what brought peoples attention to him at that time was Metallica's Cliff Burton, who wore t-shirts and even had a crimson ghost tattoo. The cover of "Green Hell on "Garage Days" It opened up a whole new audience to the wonderful music that Danzig had made past and future. A must have album for fans of all kinds!!
06.07.2008 - 10:51
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I have this album. A friend of mine recorded it for me. Very enjoyable rock and roll
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram

Hits total: 5907 | This month: 4