Metal Storm logo
Sigur Rós

Original post

Posted by , 27.04.2007 - 04:47
Sigur Rós is one of the most amazing bands I have ever heard. With every listen, I notice I am short of breath. It's hard to describe the emotions when listening to these guys. There music is simply so beautiful they must have a thread. My favorite album is () with my favorite songs being Starálfur, Untitled #3 (Samskeyti), Untitled #8 (Popplagið) and Sæglópur!!! Let me know what you think!!
05.07.2008 - 21:17
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 01.05.2008 at 18:38

Written by Guest on 29.04.2008 at 08:50

Written by Guest on 16.03.2008 at 03:15

Sigur Rós are wonderful and Takk is an amazing album. I dont know how many concerts Ive been on.

Sigur Rós has been an amazing influence to Iceland and has helped us a lot on "going a little more international". I think every Icelander likes Sigur Rós in some way. Takk, Sigur Rós.

I have always been a fan of iceland, and plan to go there someday. I absolutely love the language and its culture (for such a small country they should proud of what they have accomplished). Of course I must say I am also a fan of its football team as well!

I love my country and I cant imagine living anywhere else but I am getting a little annoyed by several things like the police and how we are treating our nature.. but we are a proud country. 1900 we were nothing and in just a few years we became one of the most wealthiest countries of the world.

Our football team sucks though haha!

I personally think your team should be better than what they show. They were ranked 39th in the world at one point. I think you guys will keep getting better and better. Look how small your country is, and it has done some amazing things. What did you think of the new Sigur album?
29.07.2008 - 17:04
Darky
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 05.07.2008 at 21:17

Written by Guest on 01.05.2008 at 18:38

Written by Guest on 29.04.2008 at 08:50

Written by Guest on 16.03.2008 at 03:15

Sigur Rós are wonderful and Takk is an amazing album. I dont know how many concerts Ive been on.

Sigur Rós has been an amazing influence to Iceland and has helped us a lot on "going a little more international". I think every Icelander likes Sigur Rós in some way. Takk, Sigur Rós.

I have always been a fan of iceland, and plan to go there someday. I absolutely love the language and its culture (for such a small country they should proud of what they have accomplished). Of course I must say I am also a fan of its football team as well!

I love my country and I cant imagine living anywhere else but I am getting a little annoyed by several things like the police and how we are treating our nature.. but we are a proud country. 1900 we were nothing and in just a few years we became one of the most wealthiest countries of the world.

Our football team sucks though haha!

I personally think your team should be better than what they show. They were ranked 39th in the world at one point. I think you guys will keep getting better and better. Look how small your country is, and it has done some amazing things. What did you think of the new Sigur album?

Well, I hope so!

I think it's kind of different from the other albums but I guess it's a good change. They held this environmental concert with Björk the other day where they played some of their new songs, which were absolutely amazing live.
04.11.2008 - 18:18
Elio
Red Nightmare
Just discovered this band, as Bjork and other post-rock/alternative shit. I think it's quite good, I need more time to express more on these guys anyway.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
04.11.2008 - 22:43
Smurfkiller
Account deleted
Vaginahole aka ( ) is my favorite album of theirs. Completely amazes me how good they compose their music.
04.11.2008 - 23:39
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Seeing them in two weeks!
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
19.11.2008 - 16:17
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Read my post in the Last Concert You've Been To thread. Fucking amazing gig.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
30.11.2008 - 17:48
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Lucas on 19.11.2008 at 16:17

Did they play my favourite song, Fljòtavik??
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
30.11.2008 - 17:48
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Elio on 30.11.2008 at 17:48

No idea. I have no clue what songs they played, actually haha. It was pretty hard to keep track of such unimportant things when you are in heaven.
----

30.11.2008 - 17:53
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Lucas on 30.11.2008 at 17:48

Written by Elio on 30.11.2008 at 17:48

No idea. I have no clue what songs they played, actually haha. It was pretty hard to keep track of such unimportant things when you are in heaven.

Ahah but, do you at least know this song?
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
30.11.2008 - 17:55
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Elio on 30.11.2008 at 17:53

I probably do because I have three of their albums, Takk, () and Ágætis Byrjun, but I don't really care about the songtitles and can't remember them anyway.
----

30.11.2008 - 18:00
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Lucas on 30.11.2008 at 17:55

Written by Elio on 30.11.2008 at 17:53

I probably do because I have three of their albums, Takk, () and Ágætis Byrjun, but I don't really care about the songtitles and can't remember them anyway.

Ah. Btw the song is not on in any of the albums you know, but try it, it has such magical atmospheres
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
27.12.2008 - 01:54
Kanto

One of my favorites bands ever. Funny, I discovered them on MTV xD (with Hoppipolla), I started to look for more of Takk..., and I was really impressed, at that time it was the first time in my life I heared stuff like that. Then ( ), Von, etc...extremely good (Popplagid and Samskyeti, perfect).
They have an amazing perfomance Live, Jon sings/screams incredibily, the Heima DVD is just a MasterPiece. I don't know very much about the new Album, but I've read that is "happier" than Takk..., ( ) or Von
----
...Dude.
21.03.2009 - 15:19
Elio
Red Nightmare
I just came to the conclusion that Hvarf/Heim has to be their best and one of the best album ever.
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
26.04.2009 - 12:12
DreamWeaver

Sigur Rós is the only band that has the depth and emotion to make me cry. Their lyrics are incredible, deep and meaningful. Their musicianship is amazing and the atmosphere they are able to create is just breathtaking. Some bands I can listen while in the car or at the university. The only way for me to listen to Sigur Rós is to shut myself in my room, turn off the lights and listen. I would pay so much money just to see them live, hopefully they'll start touring soon.

This might help you undestand why I love them so much.
----
19.12.2010 - 14:43
Detric
King Of Twilight
Am I a lunatic for wandering in the mountains while blasting Takk in my headphones? I just did, and I felt like being alive.. more than ever before. Mindblowing experience.
19.12.2010 - 17:23
IronAngel

Sigur Rós were the first post-rock band I digged (along with Magyar Posse), so I guess I owe them. But nowadays I can rarely stand the cheesiness. Takk and () are just so... ugh! Loud, predictable, happy, pretty much first class stadium rock. The debut Agaetis Byrjun is still very good, though. I don't get why the next two albums are lauded so often but this way superior piece is all but ignored.

How do you people like Jónsi's solo album Go, by the way? It's more upbeat indie pop, it's actually pretty nice. It's cheesy, but not in the melodramatic way Sigur Rós are cheesy.
19.12.2010 - 22:15
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by IronAngel on 19.12.2010 at 17:23

How do you people like Jónsi's solo album Go, by the way? It's more upbeat indie pop, it's actually pretty nice. It's cheesy, but not in the melodramatic way Sigur Rós are cheesy.

I have not heard the studio album but I've seen him solo twice. Especially the second time (regular gig, first time was at a festival) was great. They have a fan-tas-tic light show. I promise you it's like nothing you've ever seen before. Check one his live shows if you ever get the opportunity.
----

19.12.2010 - 23:44
IronAngel

I missed him last summer (along with Owen Pallett and Beach House among others). It's a shame, even if I'm not completely sold on the album.
30.12.2010 - 23:10
Detric
King Of Twilight
Am I the only one that thinks that Sigur Ros ruined it all by releasing their last album..? I cant even remember what its called. Its just not...Sigur Ros..? I mean some of the songs are alright, but where is the feeling you get when listening to their other albums.. Its just not there anymore for me. Really a shame, since I love all their other albums. I guess they wanted to experiment, but in my opinion they failed
31.12.2010 - 19:11
IronAngel

I disagree in part: I dislike it because it is too much Sigur Rós. They should've done something else for a change. I do like the down-to-earth approach of some songs, though. The melodrama was getting on my nerves. I really like Gobbledigook, and the second song (Inní mer...) and the sixth song (buzz in ears, with Icelandic letters) are quite good too. But you're right that it's not as consistent an album as the previous efforts, there's a lot of filler. But the best moments are really good on SR standards.
16.04.2012 - 05:21
Moose

New album out soon!
17.04.2012 - 17:34
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Recently I listen to this band a lot, seems they fit into my mood so much like God is an Astronaut
18.05.2012 - 01:01
YureiYumi
Account deleted
I got hooked on sigur ros when i first heard and watched the video Sæglópur. That was a long time ago and i still remember the way it made me feel.
29.05.2012 - 15:46
IronAngel

Valtari is streaming on NPR. So far so... bland? Nihil novi and so on. A bit of a more ambient approach. It's not bad by any stretch, but it doesn't really do anything they haven't done better already, or anything hungrier young bands are doing better currently. Worth a listen, probably not too many.

http://www.npr.org/series/98679384/first-listen
29.05.2012 - 16:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by IronAngel on 19.12.2010 at 17:23
Takk and () are just so... ugh! Loud, predictable, happy, pretty much first class stadium rock.

Well, I fully disagree. I highly enjoy those albums. I don't really get the "stadium rock" comment so I won' mention it. I like Takk for it's rocking attitude and ( ) For its more subtle and ambient-infuced music, a progression throughout the whole album reaching the climax on the last rack. I never considered that album happy though, I can agree with Takk but to me ( ) has always been their "dark" abum (dark for sigur ros that is).

In fact, even in albums like Takk... I always feel a slight sad tone in their music, which is probably one of the things that caught my attention in the beginning.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
29.05.2012 - 16:17
IronAngel

By stadium rock, I meant anthemic. They're the Coldplay of post-rock (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just gets old). I don't know if ( ) is outright happy, but it isn't as low-key and moody as the debut.

But yeah, it's true that there is a melancholy to their music. But it's a saccharine melancholy, like reminiscing about your first summer with your wife-to-be, sitting in your rocking chair on the porch.
29.05.2012 - 16:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by IronAngel on 29.05.2012 at 16:17

By stadium rock, I meant anthemic. They're the Coldplay of post-rock (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just gets old). I don't know if ( ) is outright happy, but it isn't as low-key and moody as the debut.

But yeah, it's true that there is a melancholy to their music. But it's a saccharine melancholy, like reminiscing about your first summer with your wife-to-be, sitting in your rocking chair on the porch.

Well, to some people that might be bad... not for me as I never had any of those images when I listen to Sigur Rós. Probably because I listened to a lot of Sigur Rós while being in Norway's mountains climbing and stuff. So to me, their music has a full natural meaning, just like the nature-inspired images I get from, let's say... Black metal.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.05.2012 - 12:11
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by X-Ray Rod on 29.05.2012 at 16:23

Well, to some people that might be bad... not for me as I never had any of those images when I listen to Sigur Rós. Probably because I listened to a lot of Sigur Rós while being in Norway's mountains climbing and stuff. So to me, their music has a full natural meaning, just like the nature-inspired images I get from, let's say... Black metal.

Haha, man, that must have been awesome. I would love to listen to Sigur Ros in the mountains. Sounds perfect
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
23.02.2013 - 20:01
R Lewis

I've just discovered them thanks to a classmate (I am a huge fan of God Is An Astronaut and sleepmakeswaves), and I can only say they're amazing. They're one of the few bands that protect my inner peace.
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
25.02.2013 - 20:17
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
I really liked them back in the day, but I kind of lost touch with them after Takk and Hvarf/Heim.