02. Hold On Tight
03. Forever Autumn
04. Pagan Wish
05. Otherwheres
06. The Homecoming
07. Come Night I Reign
08. Demon You / Lily Anne
09. To Blossom Blue

Lake Of Tears is one of the most original and passionate bands out there...if somebody doesn't agree with that well...you can stick to br00tal Death Metal and the likes.

One great thing is that every single album manages to remain a unique, enthralling experience, even though all of them share that thing that makes Lake of Tears what it is. They're bloody hypnotizing! Don't be surprised if you listen to a song just once and after days and weeks it still pops out annoyingly from your subconscious, as clear and loud as in the moment you heard it!

Forever Autumn is their fourth studio effort. I believe it's kind of an album for the blue hearted. Slowing down quite a lot, the Swedish mushroomheads leave plenty of space for you to day-dream and ponder. It's actually a bit difficult to describe...this album is simply a killer injection of melancholy and serenity.

While it does have some metal monsters like the opener "So Fell Autumn Rain" or "Pagan Wish", it's really the ballads that make your heart beat in a special way. "Forever Autumn", "The Homecoming", "To Blossom Blue"...'beauty' is a too filthy word to describe these songs. The production that sounds like a clear star-filled sky, Daniel's unique deep and warm voice, the way the whole band works together in the conception of the songs' moods...it is simply overwhelming. There's nothing to be found out of place. The bass and drums do just enough to make you shake a leg or gently nod your head while lying down and listening to the brilliant melodies Daniel and Magnus have come up with. If I recall well there was an official keyboard player included also...just listen to "Otherwheres" to see how good can these guys go along.

The lyrics are in tune with the general atmosphere. I wouldn't call it necessarily sad...more of an resignated optimism. They are trademark Lake Of Tears poems, that just go over and over and over until they put you to sleep (like on "Hold On Tight"), or bring you to the verge of shedding tears, like on "The Homecoming". And believe it or not, they are happy tears!

Lake Of Tears have never been an easy to tackle band, and some of you might simply find this album slow and boring. Nothing wrong with that but...I guess you guys should start seeing "in" and not "through" things.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 10

Written by NECURATU | 26.04.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 142 users
27.04.2007 - 13:17
Rating: 9
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
Very good album IMO, atmospheric and ethereal, and as you said, not boring at all! Maybe their best album.
Good review!
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
06.08.2007 - 20:12
W-Lash
Metal Master
Not bad but it isn't even close to Headstones...
10.11.2007 - 04:12
Moeror

Different from the previous albums, a bit too emotional, but still a great album to listen to.
----
On the plain lies an angel, dead
02.11.2008 - 12:22
Rating: 8
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Love this album it's so peaceful

Hits total: 9442 | This month: 11