7.3 | 24 votes |
Release date: 16 October 2017
Style: Drone doom metal

Owners:

11 have it
2 want it

01. Aguas Primordiales
02. La De Múltiples Rostros
03. Alza Tu Vuelo Sobre La Vasta Oscuridad...
04. ...Y Enrosca Tu Viente Alrededor Del Cosmos
05. El Huevo Cósmico
06. El Dios-Año
07. Diosa De La Vegetación
08. Sagrada Espyral

Additional info
Produced by Pylar.

Artwork by Gonzalo Santana.

"So man, what's new for music today?"
"Eh, not much. Pylar, that Spanish band, they just dropped a new album that takes the drone genre to incredible heights once again, incorporating chanting, string instruments, horns, native percussion, and intricate, jazz-like drumming into a massive, doomy core. All with artwork and lyrics that allude to ancient shamanism and druidism as well."
"Meh, drone is so boring. When's that new Morbid Angel coming out?"

Immerse thyself.

Apothecary's picks | More picks ››
Thumbs up: BloodTears
Bandcamp music player

Found in 6 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 115 users
16.10.2017 - 19:38
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Continuing to impress, I maintain that these guys are one of the best drone bands at the moment. It's amazing just how many ingredients are in the final recipe here: chants, strings, horns, native percussion, crazy off-beat drumming... it's almost like "jazz drone" or something haha. Wicked shit
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
17.10.2017 - 06:44
Rating: 9
Lord Slothrop

Wow, great recommendation. I bought it earlier tonight and just gave it my first spin (so to speak). Not sure I've ever heard anything like it. Jazz drone is good a moniker as I can think of. I guess the closest band I'd compare them to would be Godspeed You! Black Emperor, but only in parts. I love finding weird shit like this. Thanks.
17.10.2017 - 12:53
mz

I think their previous record was more balanced. Still this one is amazing and for sure one of the best drone records this year.
Also, if you guys are not familiar, pylar shares a member with another Spanish band, named Orthodox. They also play some sort of doom-jazz, although it is more jazzy and not droney? It is a crazy band, and also apparently shares thematic concepts with pylar. They had an album and an Ep this year.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
17.10.2017 - 22:46
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Lord Slothrop on 17.10.2017 at 06:44

Wow, great recommendation. I bought it earlier tonight and just gave it my first spin (so to speak). Not sure I've ever heard anything like it.

I'm reminded most of Sunn O)))'s Monoliths & Dimensions with this band, in the sense that it's drone with the addition of a ton of nonmetal influences like opera, folk, classical, jazz, and so on. Similar idea, basically, and even a bit of a similar sound at points, but I'd say Pylar take that principle far higher than Sunn O))) did with that album
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
18.10.2017 - 07:18
Rating: 9
Lord Slothrop

Sunn O))) is one of those bands I've heard very little of. The only album I own by them is Black One and it's a tough sell. For me anyway. And to be honest, I don't think I ever made it through the entire album. I should give them another chance though. Well, maybe.
18.10.2017 - 15:39
Rating: 7
Kuroboshi

I've never been a huge fan of drone, but I'll try it!
19.10.2017 - 18:15
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Lord Slothrop on 18.10.2017 at 07:18

Sunn O))) is one of those bands I've heard very little of. The only album I own by them is Black One and it's a tough sell. For me anyway. And to be honest, I don't think I ever made it through the entire album. I should give them another chance though. Well, maybe.

Sunn O))) gradually began incorporating more non drone elements into their sound as their career progressed, I would say. The early releases are pretty uncompromising "pure drone," so to speak, but Black One incorporates a considerable black metal and dark ambient edge and M&D gets really crazy with all the guest musicians and additional instruments (bassoon, clarinet, fucking conch shell )
It's still a very tough, demanding listen, but overall I'd say Sunn O)))'s later-day material is more accessible than their early work
----

~ II. VII
20.10.2017 - 04:35
VIG
Account deleted
Yo Che, you trying to rip off Rod's old COA staff pick?
20.10.2017 - 18:32
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 20.10.2017 at 04:35

Yo Che, you trying to rip off Rod's old COA staff pick?

----

~ II. VII
20.10.2017 - 18:35
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 20.10.2017 at 18:32

You better run.
20.10.2017 - 18:38
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 20.10.2017 at 18:35

You better run.

I kinda noticed it after I did that, honestly, that similarity. I'm sure the big Chilean-Swedish teddy bear won't mind me paying homage though
----

~ II. VII
20.10.2017 - 18:41
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 20.10.2017 at 18:38

I'm sure the big Chilean-Swedish teddy bear won't mind me paying homage though

We'll see...

No, I don't think he will care.

Hits total: 5364 | This month: 11