07. Mirklands
08. With Doom I Come
09. As Echoes From The World Of Old [special edition bonus]
10. And Wonder Walks The Forest Eaves [special edition bonus]

Featured in "Getting Into: Summoning"

Staff review by
RaduP
Rating:
Summoning claim to come with doom, but it's still synthy atmospheric black metal, not doom metal. While that would be an interesting turn of events, you cannot blame Summoning for sticking to the formula. You could, however, blame them for the godawful production on this album.

Read more ››
published 13.01.2018 | Comments (25)

Found in 19 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 40   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 774 users
01.10.2017 - 15:01
3rdWorld
China was a neat
One of the most consistent bands in all of metal, heavily awaiting this masterpiece. Artwork is disappointingly bad though.
01.10.2017 - 17:59
Rating: 6
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I wonder whether they will actually come with doom on this one
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
01.10.2017 - 23:33
garmling
Account deleted
"To Isengard with doom we come!
With doom we come, with doom we come!"

The Ents' Marching Song

Highly anticipated!
02.10.2017 - 23:52
Rating: 9
Opethian

Stellar!
11.10.2017 - 00:50
erat

Summoning never disappoints. Hyped as always.
----
Sick liaisons raised this monumental mark,
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park!
23.10.2017 - 22:59
Himedal

They are releasing a new album relatively fast, considering their normal rate of production. So far, everything they have released has been excellent. let's hope this one is a masterpiece too.
----
What goes by is life to be taken
The doom calls upon the forsaken
18.11.2017 - 21:52
FYA
Destroyer
Written by Himedal on 23.10.2017 at 22:59

They are releasing a new album relatively fast, considering their normal rate of production. So far, everything they have released has been excellent. let's hope this one is a masterpiece too.

5 years is fast?
19.11.2017 - 23:00
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Didn't like it very much
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
20.11.2017 - 06:46
Rating: 4
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Can't imagine how lame this is going to be.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.11.2017 - 12:02
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
The production is so flat that there is no powerful epic punch to it. It sounds like an album Summoning should have released in their early years. The songs are nice enough, following the typical Summoning formula, yet still being unique to other albums somewhat. The problem is there are no standout amazing tracks at all! The whole album just blends into itself. After one listen, i think my favourite song is the one they released early - With Doom I Come, but it's by no means a mindblowing song.
20.11.2017 - 18:13
Rating: 8
MMizfall

This one is more similar to their last album but less varied, they went a little overboard with the flute and choirs , but the last 3 songs rule so hard. Unlike wintersun this band knows how to keep the symphonic sound reasonable and balanced without barfing a hotmess. Overall it's a great album.
23.11.2017 - 18:24
MMizfall

Well it does get better
12.12.2017 - 22:38
KvenDawk

After 3 listens, I would say that the only song standing out is their last, With Doom I Come.
02.01.2018 - 00:26
FYA
Destroyer
Could it be their weakest album...?
05.01.2018 - 00:11
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Written by KvenDawk on 12.12.2017 at 22:38

After 3 listens, I would say that the only song standing out is their last, With Doom I Come.

Yeah it's how i felt too. It took a further 4 listens for me to appreciate Silvertine as well, but agreed With Doom i Come is the best song - still nowhere near my favourites.

Didn't get into Mirklands or Carcharoth at all.
05.01.2018 - 11:15
Anghellic67

I don't know how people heard this album before the release date but those early comments lowered nicely my expectations and in the end I wasn't disappointed at all.
05.01.2018 - 23:01
Rating: 7
Nick Carter

A lil bit dissapointing but it is good stuff. Good way to start the year.
----
#MetalIsForEveryone
06.01.2018 - 03:05
barnesy

I'm disappointed. Unless it grows on me a little, it'll be at the bottom of Summoning's glorious works. I think I was too excited for this release and hyped it up in my head. I HATE what they've done with the more melodic vocals. I mean, I don't want to say it's horrible, I rated it a 6. But I hold Summoning in such high regard this is a bit of a let down. And good God almighty what's with the album art?
06.01.2018 - 13:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
You must be super eber summoning brainwashed bastard child to understand this, There has not enough BM elements to like itm I don't wanna say I hate it but I cant get this and play it more as one, its nothing what this band was in a past.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.01.2018 - 08:15
jdosback

I love all summoning albums. im glad to have another album to mix in. after 3 listens, i dont think its quite as good as most of their other stuff. hoping it grows on me a little more. certainly a good release. wish it had more black metal elements.
08.01.2018 - 13:11
Aw Yiss

With Doom I Come is the only redeeming song of this album. Silvertine is fine too, and maybe Mirklands, but the rest of the album is very weak.
08.01.2018 - 18:31
Kuroboshi

I don't understand all the criticism. It's very catchy!
08.01.2018 - 19:03
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Reasons to not like the album:

1. The Casio keyboards are too loud and too in your face, which makes the guitar tone to be buried in the background. This may be due to fuck up in the mixing process as well.
2. The mastering is quite awful. I know the band has a thing for dungeon synth, but the result is just ugly and hard to listen to.
3. Unlike all the previous album, from their debut onwards, this one has no highlight. Silvertine comes close, but kinda peters out in the middle.
4. It is kinda obvious that the band has been reducing the metal influences in favor of more keyboard, synth-laden instrumentation, which, at least for my taste, is a no-go.
5. For music that likes to be bombastic, epic, granting it a sewer production is an awful decision. Their old albums may not have a much better production, but they are mixed better admittedly.

Hands down the weakest Summoning album since the debut.
08.01.2018 - 19:41
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro
Well, this is not the masterpiece some claim to be, but it's not a disaster either. Silvertine and With Doom I Come are really strong tracks. The rest of the album has some very good moments in between a more average and uninspired sound. 7.6 for me.
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
09.01.2018 - 06:02
MMizfall

A band with 20 long year streak of consistent output can afford to have a slight miss step. This one is still great with good enjoyable moments, It's just not on the level of Minas Morgul, Stronghold and Old Mornings Dawn. I don't think diminishing black metal sound is a negative thing long as the band can produce good music. This is still more thoughtful and less pretentious than recent efforts of Wintersun for example.
09.01.2018 - 23:15
Tr1pt1chLux

This album is a grower. Give it a couple of listens before giving it low rating.
14.01.2018 - 13:19
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Apart from the very first album, this is easilly their weakest one. I never had to "give it a couple of listens", when we talk about Summoning
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

15.01.2018 - 06:17
RuBH

This is ok, but much weaker than albums except the debut one. Not a single moment that really shines much... 6.5
19.01.2018 - 23:35
Rating: 10
Litvin

Not bad at all
20.01.2018 - 17:28
AtrumHiberna

Not their best, but a very decent album.
Silvertine and the self-titled track are easily two of their best songs ever though
----
This is my worship, this is my path...

Hits total: 12822 | This month: 27