Metal Storm logo
Kreator + Celtic Frost: European Tour, Paris, 20.03.07

Written by: Jeff
Published: 28.04.2007

Tuesday 20th of 2007, Kreator was in Paris for it's last date in a French club for the Enemy Of God 2007 tour. This tour was a big event because three other bands Watain, Legion Of The Damned and the great Celtic Frost were there too and a lot of French metalheads were at the Elysée Montmartre to see this really nice concert.

The problem with the Elysée Montmartre is that the venue always closes it's doors at 22h30 and tonight the show had to start early in the afternoon. Unfortunately when I came to the venue, I only heard some "Ave Satanas" which were actually the last words of the show of Watain. I had some talks with some people who were already there and heard that it was a good show but nothing great either, so I suppose that I didn't miss anything so exceptional.

The second band of the night was Legion Of The Damned. This combo from The Netherlands played a short but pleasant concert. Their mix of Death and Thrash Metal was ok, even if I cannot say that the band was extremely charismatic on stage. Full of anger and energy, the set of Legion Of The Damned found some good reactions from the audience but unfortunately for them too, two big monsters were there to play after them so I'm not sure that a lot of people will remember them. But I must say one more time that it was cool to listen to their music even if it was a bit repetitive in the end.

After the two opening acts came the time to see two bands of a bit more importance. First, Celtic Frost, a band who were known in the past for their Thrash Metal and who are known now for their Doom Metal. A lot of people in the venue were there for them when on the other hand the fans of Kreator were all saying that it was impossible to listen to something so slow and that it was extremely boring... But all in all, Celtic Frost with their really typical "dirty" sound played an amazing show. They found a way to freeze the atmosphere of the venue and Martin Eric Ain did two really disturbing preaches about death and God. It was "special" and really disturbing on a side but the atmosphere of this show was extremely impressive and even though I cannot say that Celtic Frost is the most active band on stage, their frozen and static attitude was cool. Maybe that they didn't move and speak a lot to the audience but they played their best songs to finish with the naughty (and long) "Synagoga Satanae". It was special, no doubt, and I understood why some people didn't like the performance of the band from Switzerland but all the ones who like Doom and cold and slow music greatly enjoyed the set of Celtic Frost.

To finish the night, Kreator was finally on stage. Well, nothing new here except the stage which was a lot better (with a screen, with a ton of lights, some flags etc) than the last time than the band came to Paris. If you had already seen Kreator in the past, you have to know that it was the same kind of show this night. Mille Petrozza was still the same guy, full of energy but who still used his same favourite sentences and attitudes. The band played a lot of songs from the last album and it was great for me (I like this album a lot), like the other French metalheads apparently. It was crazy with a furious pit, the people moshed a lot and one cannot say that it was not pleasant. The show didn't lack rhythm, the lights were crazy and exceptional and even the sound was more than correct. Actually, I saw the band four times on this tour and it was probably their best show (at least for me). It was a bit shorter too, but still extremely good. No doubt, Kreator live, was something this night.

Overall it was a great night! The two headliners of the event were different that's right but both really good and they shadowed the two opening acts a bit. Seriously, with four bands like these, in the same venue, we were lucky really. However, maybe it's time for Kreator to stop this tour. It was great and everything, no doubt, but on the other hand we saw a lot of the German combo with this album so maybe it's time for them to go back home and to take a break to write a new album. I passed a great moment and the night wasn't finished for me, GWAR was at the Locomotive one hour later...

Many thx to Roger and Base for the press accreditation

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 7 users
28.04.2007 - 17:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Jeff and Collin you wisit more shows how other members here
Good rewiew man
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.04.2007 - 17:43
Baz Anderson

I really liked Watain when they played here and because of the whole curfew thing I didnt get to see Legion Of The Damned which rather upset me, but oh well..

haha, your pictures have the same colours as mine - they must have the same light set for the whole tour - with the red on Kreator and blue and green on Celtic Frost

I am not a doom or slow metal fan at all - but I think Celtic Frost put on the best show when I saw them - I just loved the droning guitars and when they played the old classics it was just magnificent
28.04.2007 - 22:52
MetalISTasty
Account deleted
thats cool...I wish i was there!
29.04.2007 - 00:22
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Great review, not a big Celtic Frost fan, but seeing Kreator and Watain would be amazing. You Europeans are too spoiled.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
01.05.2007 - 15:45
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Did Kreator open their set with Enemy Of God (the song)? When I saw them in Australia they did and the thunderous drumming and general greatness of the song really set us in the mood.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
01.05.2007 - 17:03
Deadsoulman

Written by Bad English on 28.04.2007 at 17:05

Good rewiew man

That's because Jeff lives in Paris, where you can see one show almost every night if you want, and I live in Lyon, which is a big city with an active metal scene and loads of shows too. Besides, I often go to Paris. And concerts is THE thing for which I don't mind spending a lot of money

I didn't see the Kreator / Celtic Frost show though
01.05.2007 - 17:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Deadsoulman on 01.05.2007 at 17:03

Written by Bad English on 28.04.2007 at 17:05

Good rewiew man

That's because Jeff lives in Paris, where you can see one show almost every night if you want, and I live in Lyon, which is a big city with an active metal scene and loads of shows too. Besides, I often go to Paris. And concerts is THE thing for which I don't mind spending a lot of money

I didn't see the Kreator / Celtic Frost show though

Yes when I see your dates/news here in MS all big bands and small go to France, Germany, Netherland and not in one town but 5-10 towns
Only this year here comes big bands to much in one year Ozzy/BLS, Type o Negative, Saxon, Kopriklaani/Skyforger/Andena... maybe I will write rewiew too about some gigs
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.05.2007 - 18:43
Warman
Erotic Stains
Great review, but if Watain was as good as when I saw them I must say that you missed something awesome! They're full of evil energy, good contact with the audience and the vocalist is crazy really! Don't forget the smelly goatheads too! :
----
01.05.2007 - 19:09
Baz Anderson

Watain played here as the only support for Celtic Frost and yeh, they were great live!
but also I might have liked them a lot more then I usually would have because they were the first band I saw perform live for about five months or so..
23.06.2007 - 17:17
carthagevisors
Account deleted
Enjoyed the review. I think many people forget that the two bands toured in 87 (I think wth Coroner) and it was billed as a pretty special thing and my mouth was watering at the time though couldn't change continents to get over ha ha!!! So this was a special thing as CF have recently reformed. I thought the shows were good but Frost seem to be picking stuff from Pandemonium more to 'make a point'... 'Mesmerised' for eg doesn't seem to work and the same goes for Ain's speech which I really hate: makes him look old and hey, some may disagree with him!

Hits total: 5315 | This month: 7