Metal Storm logo
Mastodon

Original post

Posted by Throne of Rats, 29.04.2007 - 11:49
Probably my favorite band of all time, and I think they need a thread. I saw them live for the first time and they were amazing. They definatly have a style of their own that is hard to compare to. What does everyone else think about these guys, discuss your thoughts.
26.01.2013 - 14:23
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.01.2013 at 14:05

Written by Monolithic on 26.01.2013 at 14:03

Morbid Angel's original drummer,Mike Browning was also the vocalist before he left the band.

and he still sang in the band he started afterwards, Nocturnus.
But indee he is another singing drummer

So I conclude that "rare" wouldn't be the appropriate word, either.
26.01.2013 - 18:22
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.01.2013 at 14:05

Written by Monolithic on 26.01.2013 at 14:03

Morbid Angel's original drummer,Mike Browning was also the vocalist before he left the band.

and he still sang in the band he started afterwards, Nocturnus.
But indee he is another singing drummer

You can add Absu to the list of singing drummers as well.

With bands, like Mastodon, that have more than one person sharing vocal duties, it can add a lot to the music. I especially like it with faster black metal bands when they have two or three people doing screaming vocals, not at the same time, but in sort of a back and forth rhythm.
27.01.2013 - 11:36
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.01.2013 at 14:16

Not as unique as it seems. Kiss in their heydays had all four bandmembers doing vocals.

That's true and a good point. And if you go back even further, you'll know that The Beatles had songs on their albums in which all four members did lead vocals. Sure, most of the vocals were done by Paul and John, but George and Ringo got a go occasionally. It seems Kiss did this as well, and from reading Gene's book, it's clear he was very heavily influenced by the success of The Beatles, as were so many bands of the 70s and onwards.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
05.12.2013 - 22:29
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Mastodon is recording a new album!

From their facebook page:

"When Mastodon break from recording their new studio album (currently being recorded) for the Holidays, be sure to check out Brent and Brann performing at 2 special shows in Atlanta 12/27 @ 529 & 12/31 Star Bar"
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
06.12.2013 - 09:40
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by K✞ulu on 05.12.2013 at 22:29

Mastodon is recording a new album!

From their facebook page:

"When Mastodon break from recording their new studio album (currently being recorded) for the Holidays, be sure to check out Brent and Brann performing at 2 special shows in Atlanta 12/27 @ 529 & 12/31 Star Bar"

Old news, but looking forward to it. They're working with Nick Raskulinecz, so it should be interesting, as long as it doesn't turn out like the new alice in chains
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
09.02.2014 - 08:44
Dr.Overkill26

I am crazy Pumped for the new Mastodon! I love them, Have been a Fan since Blood Mountain. I saw them Live With High on Fire, Converge (whom I slept on at the Time but wound up becoming one of my Favs) and Dethklok. It was amazing, they Played Crack the Skye in its entirety, Then a whole other set of Leviathan and Blood Mountain songs, Plus The Bit By Melvins and one From Remission. Mother Puncher. They are aso the Band That turned me onto Melvins, High on Fire, Isis and Neurosis. Yeah I really Love mastodon. My rankings: 1. Leviathan 2. Remission. 3. Crack The Skye. 4. Blood Mountain. 5. The Hunter.
----
Do you need what I need? Boundaries overthrown Look inside to each his own
Do you trust what I trust? me myself and I Penetrate the smoke screen I see Through the selfish lie
03.05.2014 - 23:28
Dr.Overkill26

Written by deadone on 11.02.2014 at 02:51

In an ideal world, they'd go back to Leviathan/Remission style.

But we live in a non-ideal world where there's still lots of poverty, environmental degradation and conflict. Hence Mastodon release stuff that does not make my loins quiver in joy.

I want more exploding horses and big frickin whales.

I agree completely, Although I do enjoy the hunter, Crack the Skye (a total masterpiece) and def Blood Mountain. It's just that I would like to see them get all Chaotic/Abrasive again.
----
Do you need what I need? Boundaries overthrown Look inside to each his own
Do you trust what I trust? me myself and I Penetrate the smoke screen I see Through the selfish lie
20.06.2014 - 16:28
Ganondox

I only really like their stuff after Blood Mountain, I got into them from The Hunter, but I really really like their newer material. I'm really looking forward to their new album, love the riff and solo in this song.
05.06.2016 - 22:29
WayTooManyCDs

Mastodon is one of the bands I feel like grew up as I grew up...when I was into heavy death metal they were storming the scene with March of the Fire Ants, when I was in college trying to figure out life they came out with the far more dynamic Leviathan, then when I stopped being a grumpy young man and got into some mind enhancing activities they began releasing music that was perfect for that too...I didn't like Blood Mountain though, the vocal distortions on the second half were too obnoxious, but one bad album doesn't change how great the rest of their discography is
06.06.2016 - 12:19
Ganondox

Written by WayTooManyCDs on 05.06.2016 at 22:29

Mastodon is one of the bands I feel like grew up as I grew up...when I was into heavy death metal they were storming the scene with March of the Fire Ants, when I was in college trying to figure out life they came out with the far more dynamic Leviathan, then when I stopped being a grumpy young man and got into some mind enhancing activities they began releasing music that was perfect for that too...I didn't like Blood Mountain though, the vocal distortions on the second half were too obnoxious, but one bad album doesn't change how great the rest of their discography is

That's one thing many people don't get, moving away from a heavier sound doesn't mean a band is selling out, it's just that generally when people get older they like going in different directions rather than just being heavy.
06.06.2016 - 20:00
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Ganondox on 06.06.2016 at 12:19

Written by WayTooManyCDs on 05.06.2016 at 22:29

That's one thing many people don't get, moving away from a heavier sound doesn't mean a band is selling out, it's just that generally when people get older they like going in different directions rather than just being heavy.

Exactly.

People really take in a different way and when they try to form their doofus opinion like "selling out" "getting into mainstream" "losing shine" - it really pisses me off.

It's not about "heavy" all the time. When megacentric, self-centered egostical weak minded idiots going to understand about this?!
08.06.2016 - 06:27
Guib
Thrash Talker
Some people just won't understand that a person change and the music they make changes with them... If it wouldn't then it would make for gutless, emotionless music that lacks purpose and creativity.
I guess, we can't expect everyone to understand that.

Back on topic though... Yeah Mastodon's a band that evolved a lot over the years, I respect them for that.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
23.06.2016 - 04:11
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Ganondox on 06.06.2016 at 12:19

I definitely don't think Mastodon ever "sold out", or is ever going to, but I'm gonna be the typical metalhead and say I like their earlier stuff better. That's not to say I don't like the newer stuff, it's just that the older stuff was just so much more powerful. I wish their newer style was more akin to their Crack the Skye album, because that is definitely my favorite album from the post-Blood Mountain stuff, and is one of my favorite albums in general. I mean bands change, and change can be good (obviously, since Crack the Skye, while being way different than Remission or Leviathan, is still awesome), I just wish they changed in a slightly more interesting direction than they've been going. The last two albums were better than Blood Mountain, at least, so that's something.
----