Metal Storm logo
Mastodon

Original post

Posted by Throne of Rats, 29.04.2007 - 11:49
Probably my favorite band of all time, and I think they need a thread. I saw them live for the first time and they were amazing. They definatly have a style of their own that is hard to compare to. What does everyone else think about these guys, discuss your thoughts.
17.09.2007 - 17:46
legend_destroyer
Account deleted
Man Mastodon Kicks ass and they just keep getting better IMO. I went to see them feburary 15th and they put on a kick ass live show I didn't even leave the fucking pit.
05.11.2007 - 08:51
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
A six-minute video clip containing an interview with drummer Brann Dailor can be viewed at this location.
11.12.2007 - 16:19
RockeRoy

Amaizing band! so original! i got their dvd and it's great even though moast songs are in crappy sound quality! hope they make anotherone soon!
Seen them live at Hove Festivalen in Norway this summer suporting slayer
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
11.12.2007 - 17:36
IllNiñoSweden

Mastodon is a very good band.
RockeRoy has right it is a amazing band.
14.12.2007 - 11:41
Woutjinho
Account deleted
I used to listen to Mastodon a lot

Remission is pretty good
such as Lifesblood
Leviathan and Blood Mountain are okay. good music when your grandma visits you
25.01.2008 - 07:07
deadset61
Account deleted
what i like about this band is how different they are but yet they are sorta in the mainstream scene. Nobody else compares to them.
01.02.2008 - 18:34
riffmeister
Account deleted
Mastodon is the newest band i really like.
01.02.2008 - 20:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 01.02.2008 at 18:34

Mastodon is the newest band i really like.

but if w etalk about newest bands try Bone to Rust from Pireus thay play stoner doom and MikeBass are red too
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.02.2008 - 11:52
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
i have been tripping on this band in the last year along wit gojira.
these guys push the boundaries wit their stuff, i loved Leviathan,Blood mountain and Remission.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
03.02.2008 - 15:21
doomina
Account deleted
awesome band, leviathan and remission are fuckin' great ... blood mountain is good, but it's getting boring after some listening, don't know why.
i've seen them live twice: in vienna 2006 supporting tool (tool totally sucked) and at nova rock 2007 ... vienna was wonderful, nice atmosphere.
their gig at nova rock was also cool, great show ... troy was amazing but they had problems with their sound, the first few songs the only thing you heard was brann kickin the shit out of his drumkit.
i really love 'em for being different ...
22.02.2008 - 23:17
NOИ

Mastodon are the new Metallica. seriously they did much progress with their sound. I love both 3 albums, and in the last one, Sleeping Giant was my favourite track!
24.02.2008 - 02:23
Richiedude

hey fellow Mastodon fans . . . seen these yet? Live videos of Mastodon:

http://www.uvtv.info/mastodon.php
30.03.2008 - 13:32
☭ Mr. S ☭
Owner of the DSA
I fucking love this band! Blood Mountain and Levithan are probably in my top 20 albums.
----
Seize the weed of production!
30.03.2008 - 15:27
owl

Mastodon are indeed one of the most solid discoveries I've made in the last couple of years. "Blood Mountain" is something close to genius, "Sleeping Giant" is one of those songs that make your skin crawl when you listen to it.
----
30.03.2008 - 20:01
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted
I like all of their releases and Remission and Leviathan are better but i like Blood Mountain as well. Not only the songs everybody speaks of, i like Hand Of Stone most, the instrumental play and the twisted vocals that are their "trademark"...i also think that their look is weird...some sort of a prehistoric man look...obviously...i seen live videos and i must say i am amaised at the intensity and power with which the perform, just think and Megalodon...And furthermore they have this unique sludge style, very bizzarr riffs and mad drumming...
They are my favorite metal band, but i must say that the have a huge hardcore influence...
12.05.2008 - 22:52
Gordon Freeman

...and they play Thin Lizzy covers...

...so that's all 'reet...
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
07.06.2008 - 10:37
Sonic MrSumo

Blood Mountain has featured in my top 10 albums. Album of 2006 IMO!
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
07.06.2008 - 16:44
JESTER576
Account deleted
Can't wait for the new album to come out at the end of the year.
17.06.2008 - 03:04
Cocacolacowboy
Account deleted
mastodon is cool.but i think Rwake shits all over them.
17.06.2008 - 21:56
UnholyMenace
Psycho
I read that they played three new songs at the Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival - too bad the videos were removed from blabbermouth.net before I got the chance to listen them.

@Cocacolacowboy - I think it is pretty difficult to compare Rwake with Mastodon. But it is true, Rwake is a killer band, slow and massive.
28.06.2008 - 01:03
Candlemass
Defaeco
The drummer stands out especially.
I love his free-jazz drum work, his all over the place.
There debut is the best.
With time quality have dropped.
07.10.2008 - 10:39
Sonic MrSumo

In the band information of this site for Mastodon, they've listed their style as "Noisecore"...sorry, but what the fark is that?
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
07.10.2008 - 19:23
Branzig

I love Mastodon. I first saw them live while they were opening for Slayer. It was right after Leviathan came out, excellent live show. I saw them again a couple years later when Blood Mountain came out. Both times they put on an awesome show, great performances.

Brent Hinds is an awesome guitar player, the way he incorporates banjo and chicken-picken techniques into his guitar playing is just killer. Totally floored me when I first heard him do it. And Dailor is a crazy good drummer too. I really like his Rhandy Rhodes poka-dot designed drum kit. I know a lot of people gave them flak for when they signed to Warner Bros. I had a couple friends who thought just because they were going to be on a major label, Blood Mountain would blow.

Boy did Mastodon prove them wrong Blood Mountain was a killer release. They have been working on their up coming release for a while now. i;m excited to see what they have in store.
----
In Grind We Crust
29.10.2008 - 21:16
Frankenchrist

They're great. but idk what to make of the vocals...they kind of get to me.
----
Blat Blat
30.10.2008 - 23:19
benvolent

I really love that band! First time saw them at Roskilde in 2004, and that was just by chance. But they blew us away like a huge thunderstorm - especially brann dailor, whose hands you can't make out for long crushing minutes, because he moves so fast... amazing!
Looking forward to their new album and hope - maybe like many of you - that they reach the heights of leviathan again. I liked blood mountain, but IMO there was too much work in fragments and the clear line of composing, presented in leviathan and remission, was missing. At least they won't invite such stoned guys like josh homme - remember the hidden message on blood mountain?
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles
31.10.2008 - 04:00
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by benvolent on 30.10.2008 at 23:19
At least they won't invite such stoned guys like josh homme - remember the hidden message on blood mountain?
I love his performance on Colony of Birchmen. Plus...

"I was dizzy for eight months," he says, hanging out at a studio in the band's hometown, along with guitarist Bill Kelliher, bassist-vocalist Troy Sanders and drummer Brann Dailor. "During those months, I just sat with my acoustic and a little marijuana, and wrote all the music. I wanted a more melodic, easy-listening situation, and that definitely came from having head trauma." - Brent Hinds (Rolling Stone article)
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
31.10.2008 - 13:00
benvolent

Written by Richiedude on 24.02.2008 at 02:23

hey fellow Mastodon fans . . . seen these yet? Live videos of Mastodon:

http://www.uvtv.info/mastodon.php

thank you for this! great quality!!
----
31.10.2008 - 13:15
benvolent

Written by Syk on 31.10.2008 at 04:00
I love his performance on Colony of Birchmen. Plus...

if you want to call that performance... I mean he was probably sitting in some corner of the studio and from time to time shouting something into the microphone. QOTSA is one of my favorite bands, but Homme just doesn't fit to a mastodon-record. Nobody would have realised his participation, if it wasn't written on the booklet - a usual advertisement-trick..
----
01.11.2008 - 05:51
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I like Mastodon they have a great, and unique sound. They seem to be overlooked because their mainstream and its a shame. I'm exited to hear their next album.
----
Coldgrits
04.11.2008 - 23:16
benvolent

By the way: some news about their new album, coming early 2009, on their homepage! And check out that interview! I guess they didn't like the interviewer so much...;D
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=107875
----