Metal Storm logo
Mastodon

Original post

Posted by Throne of Rats, 29.04.2007 - 11:49
Probably my favorite band of all time, and I think they need a thread. I saw them live for the first time and they were amazing. They definatly have a style of their own that is hard to compare to. What does everyone else think about these guys, discuss your thoughts.
03.06.2009 - 14:47
ylside

So, I listened to Leviathan long ago and it couldn't catch my interest at all.. so I didn't bother checking other Mastodon albums, until recently with Crack The Skye. Now that one I really found it to be great !

Still can't get into anything else Mastodon beside that album.. hm...
03.06.2009 - 23:02
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Because Crack The Skye is so different from anything else. Even if I like Blood Mountain, still it's nothing compared to the awesomeness of Crack The Skye.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
04.06.2009 - 15:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Am I the only one alive who thinks Crack The Skye is Mastodon's weakest full-length by far?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.06.2009 - 15:36
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.06.2009 at 15:35

Am I the only one alive who thinks Crack The Skye is Mastodon's weakest full-length by far?

I hope you are . But on what criteria do you base your judgment?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

04.06.2009 - 15:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by K✞ulu on 04.06.2009 at 15:36

I find their latest too pedestrian, uninspired, not as orignal as their old stuff, no bite to it. To sum it all up this album is just background music whereas the others were thrilling innovative aggressive just enveloped me entirely.
But then again I still find Remission to be their greatest achievement, and Blood Mountain and Leviathan on a par way behind Remission and this one way behind albums nr 2 and 3.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.06.2009 - 15:49
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.06.2009 at 15:42

Written by K✞ulu on 04.06.2009 at 15:36

I find their latest too pedestrian, uninspired, not as orignal as their old stuff, no bite to it. To sum it all up this album is just background music whereas the others were thrilling innovative aggressive just enveloped me entirely.
But then again I still find Remission to be their greatest achievement, and Blood Mountain and Leviathan on a par way behind Remission and this one way behind albums nr 2 and 3.

I see. I think I like their mellow side a bit more (one of the best songs on Blood Mountains for me is "Pendulous Skin") although I must admit a lot of the aggressive songs have great riffage (Circle Of The Cysquatch). So I think we have a different "want" from this band since for me Blood Mountain is the first runner-up and Leviathan is the second; Remission is still to be heard.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

04.06.2009 - 22:20
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt

I agree - for me it's by far their weakest album. I love their previous albums, but it's almost painful for me to sit through the entirety of Crack the Skye. But, I have disliked every Mastodon album at first so I'm hoping this one will grow on me like the others.
05.06.2009 - 14:32
Deadsoulman

I still think Leviathan is their weakest. Crack The Skye ranks just after Remission and before the other two. It's much softer than the rest but I think it's done better in every aspect. It only lacks the raw fury of Remission to be really their best, but in terms of songwriting and execution it's pretty much flawless.
11.06.2009 - 23:21
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I've listening to Mastodon and wondering whether the Noisecore tag has really anything to do with their music.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

12.06.2009 - 13:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by K✞ulu on 11.06.2009 at 23:21

I've listening to Mastodon and wondering whether the Noisecore tag has really anything to do with their music.

Not on Crack The Skye I would say, but certainly it is applicable to Remission
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.06.2009 - 16:59
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Does that mean Crack the Skye is mainly stoner?
----
loves 小巫
12.06.2009 - 20:12
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
More 70's prog rock influenced than anything else.

wrote a nice review on it... here
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
18.06.2009 - 18:35
Disruptard
Account deleted
I don't know about Crack the Skye. It seems... incomplete.
I really enjoyed Blood Mountain and Remission though. They're really a unique band and I love their sound!
25.06.2009 - 15:50
ilicit
Fallitur Visio
Mastodon is a great band, and I'm gladly going to see them again next month Besides what I've read there, I really enjoy Leviathan.

Blood and Thunder ! Such a great song.. m/
----
<JustinSane> shall we play the /quit game?
<skoo> /quit
* JustinSane has quit IRC (Signed off)
<skoo> owned
* JustinSane has joined the #
<JustinSane> i cannot believe i just did that
26.06.2009 - 07:00
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I really like their new album...Oblivion kicks ass!
04.07.2009 - 20:53
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
CTS is their best yet - based on pure studio production alone - and "The Last Baron" might be the best neopsychic/prog/metalcore/ultimate trip/12 minute marathon ever!

My album of the year so far
----
rekt
10.09.2009 - 03:48
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Yes, Crack the Skye is not as heavy as teh previous, but it's still a great album...
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
12.09.2009 - 05:02
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Has anyone seen them live here recently? The last time I saw them they were terrible and I don't want to do that to myself again.
24.09.2009 - 15:14
SerratedSyringe

Hmm I've been into Mastodon for a while now. I have to say from what I've heard of them so far BM is my overall favorite album, but Blood and Thunder has to be my favorite single track. I still have yet to listen to Crack The Skye, but I'll try to keep an open mind. Also I hope to see these guys along with Dethklok in November.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
29.09.2009 - 06:59
RegalBeard

Great band. Still muscling through the exclusively clean vocals of crack the skye. A little shrill sounding. but i like.
30.09.2009 - 08:00
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by bloodwrage on 12.09.2009 at 05:02

Has anyone seen them live here recently? The last time I saw them they were terrible and I don't want to do that to myself again.

I saw them in February and it was probably one of the best shows I have ever attended. They really sounded great.

As for their music, I really like all their albums. I think each one offers something a little bit different, but still something that is Mastodon.
24.10.2009 - 22:58
Entropic Silence

They're coming to NZ!!! Big day out 2010 I'm so there!!! Didn't think Crack the Skye was up to much compared to Blood Mountain, which i really love. Leviathan is mean, prob their only album to grab me on the first listen. CTS still good. BM is my fav. I just love the guitars on Sleeping Giant.

And thanks to Marcel I'm going to have to listen to Remissions.
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
29.10.2009 - 02:57
bangladesh

Fantastic band, i love all the albuns, but crack the skye disapoints me a while... not much, only a bit
08.11.2009 - 01:29
benvolent

I've watched the live-videos of their concerts on download-festival '07 recently (they are quite good and enjoyable btw - if you excuse the hilarious shreeking of obviously sick Brent... ), and wondered, why Bill (rhythm-guitar) does not shout more often. He does it on iron tusk there for sure, and it sounds better than, what Brent and Troy use to do... I mean, I love Mastodon, but the vocals mostly suck live.

Any observations from recent concert-attenders?
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles
09.11.2009 - 07:54
dEAthB3D

hahahaha agree with you sir.... crack the skye is mastodon's weakest album
i really hate listening them singing in this album.
Leviathan is still the best one
----
the ultimate use of treason is the treacherous use of reason
13.11.2009 - 09:42
Walter Iego
Author
I tried to give them a chance, but I cannot get past the notion that I don't like their productions, and that just throws me of course; they probably have good stuff.
20.11.2009 - 04:14
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
It's funny how all magazines are ctegorizing Mastodon as "Progressive", they're very skilled yes, but sayong they're prog is like saying Tool is prog, IMO.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
24.11.2009 - 16:49
By Demons Driven

Written by bloodwrage on 12.09.2009 at 05:02

saw them opening for metallica.. they sucked.. worst i have seen so far... even the small danish underground bands, i have seen, have done better
24.11.2009 - 18:30
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
I saw them with Slayer/Lamb of God/Children of Boredom/Thine Eyes Bleed and enjoyed them very much... second best band on the bill.

to each their own.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
24.11.2009 - 18:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 20.11.2009 at 04:14

It's funny how all magazines are ctegorizing Mastodon as "Progressive", they're very skilled yes, but sayong they're prog is like saying Tool is prog, IMO.

Tool IS progressive, no doubt about that.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996