Bandcamp music player
Reviewer:

90 users:
Band: Mgła
Album: Mdłości
Release date: September 2006

01. Mdłości I
02. Mdłości II

First riffs, first beats, first screams... and you already know that the musical trip through Mgła's "fields of scars and wounds" (quote taken from the first song) will be black and cold. Are you ready?

Mdłości is the second mini-LP from Mgła. The first mini-LP, Presence, clearly refers to the classical, raw, cold black metal known very well from such classics like Darkthrone's Transilvanian Hunger. This mini-LP is no exception. I would say it is a kind of continuation of Presence, but believe it or not this is not a copycat or cheap imitation of their debut or any other black metal album. Far from it. Mgła have many of their own ideas about how to develop their sound, create music straight from the heart, and stay true to the black metal roots.

I would say that black metal as a music genre set its standards a long time ago. Personally I do not think that any band can add something new to this genre. It is closed. It's done. It has its own specific shape. You cannot change some details without changing the overall view. Some of the bands smartly mix black metal with opera, classical, doom, death... and many more. They called it evolution or progress but I think this is just jumping from one quality to another. Taking some of this, some of that and blending it into "new, exciting stuff". Well, sometimes it works perfectly... sometimes.

If somebody decided to play "classical" raw black metal, then he would have to be good, because it is harder to stay within the borders and respect the old rules. Experiments are good and refreshing but usually they won't help you to stay within a certain genre. This is why it is so hard to play "classical" music without making crossovers. Making it good and worth listenening to is even harder. Only a few bands make it in this style - like Mgła and their Mdłości mini-LP.

On this album Mgła plays traditional black metal. Nothing more, nothing less. Sounds disappointing? It shouldn't! This is great music. It engages from the first notes. It has that specific hypnotising, black, mighty vibe that will make you smile and nod your head while listening to it. Escalating riffs with accompanying screams, blast beats and disturbing lyrics... this is Mgła's recipe for an outstanding black metal album. It works and it tastes so good!

The LP's production is actually very good. I mean, it has a typical, intentionally made harsh, low-profile sound... but not as low-profile as you would expect. Every instrument is clearly audible. The bass has a strong presence here. It does not sound thin. Everything sounds very well balanced and creates a perfect black musical landscape.

Highly recommended album!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by BetulaObscura | 15.10.2017

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 57 users
17.10.2017 - 13:43
nikarg

Hell yes!
17.10.2017 - 13:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Great release by Mgla (like their entire discography)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.10.2017 - 14:15
BetulaObscura

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.10.2017 at 13:59

Amen to that!
----
"Inspired by the future of the past"
17.10.2017 - 14:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by BetulaObscura on 17.10.2017 at 14:15

Amen to that!

First time I heard Mgla was back in 2005 when I bought the Crushing the Holy Trinity split. Been following them ever since. And they haven't released a weak or mediocre e.p./full-length yet
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.10.2017 - 14:24
BetulaObscura

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.10.2017 at 14:18

Written by BetulaObscura on 17.10.2017 at 14:15

Amen to that!

First time I heard Mgla was back in 2005 when I bought the Crushing the Holy Trinity split. Been following them ever since. And they haven't released a weak or mediocre e.p./full-length yet

I hope they will not! And I hope they will not turn into death metal as well!
----
"Inspired by the future of the past"
20.10.2017 - 13:22
Rating: 10
K|ng

Masterpiece just like any other release of these mad polish guys.

Hits total: 2744 | This month: 10