02. The Devil's Son
03. Swinefever - Regent Of Pigs
04. Apophis - Black Dragon
05. Totenkult - Exegesis Of Deterioration
06. Totenbeschwörer [instrumental version]
07. Spell Of Reflection
08. Embracing A Star
09. Totenritual

Alright, alright, alright! Who is excited for a new Belphegor album?!...

...Hey guys?...Guys?

So, I'm alone on that one. I can't blame you - Belphegor have always been goofy. Look at the cover of Lucifer Incestus, watch the video for "Der Geistertreiber", or just process the fact they actually named an album Bondage Goat Zombie. They've always walked a fine line between dark humor and outright stupidity.

Until now.

Totenritual is Belphegor demanding respect...Or, to phrase more accurately, Belphegor politely asking for respect. Totenritual is the least tongue-in-cheek album they've ever recorded, which, inversely, makes it completely lacking in character. It's heavy. It's aggressive. It's generic. Forgettable top-speed black metal riffs leading into a chorus that's merely chanting the song title in a low grunt. Jam in the arbitrary pinch harmonic-laden solos and you've got the full picture.

That production though! In fact, the top-notch board-work seems to be trying to make up for the mediocre song-writing. When Belphegor approached their music in a more stripped-down fashion (see Pestapokalypse VI), we saw a band showcasing phenomenal guitar work, clear, aggressive vocals, and creative song structure. Totenritual is indecipherable riffs buried in a massive, throbbing wall of sound, while heavy-handed vocal layering seems like an attempt to hide uncharacteristically sloppy vocals. There's nothing outright awful about the album, it's just slick, thick and unimaginative.

Two songs save this album from being a wall-to-wall bore; "Spell Of Reflection" and "Embracing A Star". This pair stands out not just on this album, but across their entire discography; a seamless flow of both plodding, stomping and top-speed aggression, chunky riffs and sinister melodies in a cold, dark atmosphere. In other words, Belphegor at their peak.

Totenritual is a safe, competent black-death metal album. Unfortunately there are innumerable "competent" extreme metal albums out there with a lot more personality than this.

Written on 20.10.2017 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 135 users
20.10.2017 - 14:35
theFIST
While i do with the rest, i can"t agree with your positive view of the production
That overly bassy, too clean to be rough yet layered to seem less clean sound is something i"d consider one of the worst trends
it"s a crap sounding aspect in the best cases, and destroys the feeling of an album in the others
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
24.10.2017 - 05:43
Rating: 9
Malignar
The best clean production I've ever heard on an extreme metal album....simply crushing. If you want bad production with "atmosphere" this is the not it. Then again why the hell would you be listening to Belphegor for nuance and atmosphere.

Their previous couple of releases started to sound like all the other songs they had ever written. These songs sound new, possibly they have some new songwriting input, because this is a fresh sound. I like the minimalist songwriting seen here, something a bit different for them. They also threw in a few odd time signatures. The simplicity may not work for everyday listening. But when you need an album out of the mainstream, to destroy your crappy factory car speakers/scare the neighbors...this is it.
24.11.2017 - 17:31
Rating: 9
TeachNThrash
I actually think this is among their best releases. It seems this album is pretty divisive.

Hits total: 5132 | This month: 8