Metal Storm logo
A Hundred Albums? Part 5

Written by: Darkside Momo
Published: 17.10.2017

Hello everyone, and welcome to the fifth article in this blog series!

First off, sorry for the slight delay - real life stuff to do first, you know

Now, with this article we'll be halfway through it, so I went with an all-rounder this time - no specific theme, as there's thrash, goth, melodeath... And actually half of them - remember, they're always arranged by chornological order of discovery - I listened to in 2004-2005, which mark my transition from 'metal listener' to 'full-fledged metalhead', as a poll of old MS would put it (those albums are Destroy Erase Improve up to From Mars To Sirius). Good times, that saw me sign here on MS and join friends on their radio show...

Now, on with the music!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Miscellaneous 2
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moonspell - Sin / Pecado (1998)

I remember going to my record store each day from its official release date onwards until they finally received it (took four days) and I could put my greedy hands on this one - and its promo VHS cassette featuring the "2econd Skin" videoclip (which I still have). It took me aback at first, after all it's so mellow... But it grew on a lot (it's easy with songs like "Abysmo", "Eurotica" or "The Hanged Man"), and it's still one of my favourite Moonspell albums - no mere feat in a discography full of dark gems. And they were on the bill of the first metal show I went to, supporting this album in co-headlining with Therion for Vovin. Ahh, old times...

Link: Let's start with a YouTube link.

Anathema - Alternative 4 (1998)

This is one of the metal albums that had such a big impact on so many metalheads' lives, but not for me (see Damage Done for that in a previous article). Obviously that doesn't prevent me from loving it from back to back, because it's filled with so many great songs overflowing with emotion. Seriously, how can anyone stand unmoved by "Lost Control"? This album is despair and depression personified, yet its gloom ends up being so uplifting it's almost magic. Fantastically beautiful.

Link: another usual YouTube upload.

Lofofora - Peuh! (1996)

Lofofora are a French hardcore band, loved by punks, core-heads and metalheads as well (I let you imagine the great violent mess it always becomes in the pit when they play!). And Peuh!, their second album, is either their best or second best (in that case, no other than Le Fond Et La Forme wins the cake), but it's easily my fave. It's violent, varied, filled with great songs and revendicative lyrics. Dealing with some uneasy topics - terrorism with "Arraché", or rape in "Macho Blues" - and many political issues, it's totally a product of its time (the fantastic "Intox Populi" is a song for then president Jacques Chirac, elected the previous year), yet always relevant ("Amnes' history" among others). Great, great stuff!

Link: it's here as a YouTube playlist.

In Flames - Reroute To Remain (2002)

I loved Clayman before, and this Reroute is just its continuation with a more modern sound. It's catchy and infectious as fuck, and filled with great songs - the like of which we haven't heard for ten years now, sadly. Oh well... On a personal note, this was one of the albums that did help me a bit getting back to shape after that summer 2002. And "Cloud Connected" is one of the best In Flames songs ever.

Link: another YouTube playlist

Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve (1996)

Huh, wait, WHAT? What am I listening to? While djent is nowadays a dead trend, back then in early 2004 when I first listened to this Destroy Erase Improve I was like that, totally puzzled - so I guess the metal world in 1996 must have been pretty surprised too. Second listen got me hooked, and then I discovered Textures... Yeah, this is such a landmark album for a pioneering band, one of the kind that will never get old. Ahh, "Soul Burn" and "Transfiction"...

Link: another YouTube setlist!

Immolation - Harnessing Ruin (2003)

While this was not one of the first death metal albums I listened to in full - for 'pure' death metal, that probably would be Cannibal Corpse's The Wretched Spawn - Harnessing Ruin was the first to stick with me that much... in the end, even moreso than Scarve's discography that I discovered a few months before. Sure, it's not as good as, say, Majesty And Decay, but it has the trademark Immolation sound, solos, intelligible grunts and great songwriting. And "Challenge The Storm"!

Link: YouYube is here for you...

Dylath-Leen - Insecure (2002)

First self-released in 2002, this was label re-released in 2005 - something that exposed them a tiny bit more to the metal world at large. I discovered them thanks to another local radio show (cheers Alex and Metal Nemesis!) and that OMG instrumental "Criminal Art Extravagances". And yes, all other songs are easily that good, catchy and well-written). Yet it's the versatility of female singer Kathy that pushes this Insecure in god-tier grounds: complemented with Igor's grunts, she sings, grunts, and shrieks with equal ease, shifting from one to the other in the blind of an eye (like in "Enslaved"). That is for sure an underrated gem!

Link: found a YouTube playlist for you!

Kreator - Live Kreation (2003)

No need to introduce Kreator by now, one of the greatest thrash bands ever. And this Live Kreation is perfect testament to why: not only do they write killer tunes (let's face it, they did so in every era of their career), but they're also such a brutal force to be reckoned with while onstage! This live, captured over several dates, is so good it really introduced me to Kreator, with these heavier and punchier versions of already great songs, that I included it here - even if I on the whole don't like live albums (live shows are another matter entirely!)...

Link: The two discs in one YouYube upload!

Gojira - From Mars To Sirius (2005)

They broke in the world at large with this masterpiece. I remember being stunned by its awesomeness when I first listened to it (and I guess you already know that between its stellar songwriting and exceptionnal playing skills, this album is considered a masterpiece for good reasons). The show they played in Toulouse supporting the album was awesome - and the guys are really nice. Icing on the cake: the lyrics are positive in a great and absolutely not cheesy way. Marvelous.

Link: YouTube once again!

KMFDM - Xtort (1996)

That KMFDM choice was tough to make, honestly. My first contact with the band didn't go well - it was Angst, and I still don't like it apart of the insanely fun "Sucks" (few and far between are the bands with such a self-deprecative humor). But between my second contact Xtort and the excellent WTF?!, the war raged on, as both boast great songs. But the fact that my young tr00 metalhead cousin almost got out of our car in disgust when we played Xtort makes for a fun memory. And there are songs like "Apathy", "Craze" or "Dogma". Anyway, while I'm not one to step on a dancefloor anytime soon, I love me some KMFDM, as you've gotta admit that they are infectiously, butt-shakingly, heavy and catchy!

Link: And another YouTube upload to conclude.

Previously...
Part 4
or start at the beginning here

And next!

Written on 17.10.2017 by Once your regular Hellfest reporter, now retired. I (strangely enough) listen to a lot of metal. And enjoy good beers, comics, novels and role-playing games.

Comments

Comments: 21   Visited by: 169 users
23.10.2017 - 19:44
Branowar
Account deleted
Reroute to Remain was one of "those albums" for me when it came out.
24.10.2017 - 01:04
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
I'm surprised that you didn't like Angst... It was sort of the album where they perfected their formula and you can tell that all albums after that were further developments of what they did there. There are also a bunch of great songs there - "Light", "Glory", "Drug Against War", "The Problem" and of course "Sucks" are some of their best songs.

This is also supremely awesome:

XTORT is also one of their best albums, but IMO not the very best. NIHIL is awesome, WWIII is also probably better, NAIVE is a classic, "Symbols" is extremely underrated and generally ever since Lucia joined the quality is pretty consistently high.
24.10.2017 - 12:21
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Guest on 23.10.2017 at 19:44

Reroute to Remain was one of "those albums" for me when it came out.

It sure has all the qualities needed
Thanks for reading!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
24.10.2017 - 12:37
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by jupitreas on 24.10.2017 at 01:04

I'm surprised that you didn't like Angst... It was sort of the album where they perfected their formula and you can tell that all albums after that were further developments of what they did there. There are also a bunch of great songs there - "Light", "Glory", "Drug Against War", "The Problem" and of course "Sucks" are some of their best songs.

This is also supremely awesome:

XTORT is also one of their best albums, but IMO not the very best. NIHIL is awesome, WWIII is also probably better, NAIVE is a classic, "Symbols" is extremely underrated and generally ever since Lucia joined the quality is pretty consistently high.

Well... I did give another change to Angst, but for some reasons the songs failed to click with me even after I really enjoyed the band. Dunno why, even if I agree with on its special place in the band's discog, but I think they got even catchier afterward (also, they worked more on their sound's dynamics, I guess). Anyway, it's hard to compete with the "Apathy"/"Craze"/"Rules"/"Dogma" quartet if you ask me
I'm not so fond of Naive, but I agree on Nihil and WWIII (oh my "Bullets, Bombs And Bigotry"). And I do love Symbols, it's one of my fave to be honest ("Megalomaniac" is the best 'we're KMFDM' song imo, and then there are songs like "Anarchy" or "Stray Bullet". Funny that Sasha himself doesn't seem to like it very much). As far as recent albums go, I think the last two are a bit of a letdown compared to the more recent WTF!?
----

I am awake"
24.10.2017 - 22:52
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by Darkside Momo on 24.10.2017 at 12:37

As far as recent albums go, I think the last two are a bit of a letdown compared to the more recent WTF!?

I like them because they are retro - IMO they managed to recapture some of the house/disco feel of the early albums (before Angst even). Then again, I'm not surprised they are not your cup of tea since you don't seem to like that side of their sound
25.10.2017 - 00:10
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by jupitreas on 24.10.2017 at 22:52

Written by Darkside Momo on 24.10.2017 at 12:37

As far as recent albums go, I think the last two are a bit of a letdown compared to the more recent WTF!?

I like them because they are retro - IMO they managed to recapture some of the house/disco feel of the early albums (before Angst even). Then again, I'm not surprised they are not your cup of tea since you don't seem to like that side of their sound

Well, I didn't see them in that light... just less inspired. Come to think of it, I do see your point, as I prefer their heavy-hitting side
----

I am awake"
26.10.2017 - 13:28
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Funny to see Moonspell's Sin / Pecado there. It's probably my least favourite album of theirs. Well, I do like some songs in there but overall feels like a miss. Much like Butterfly Effect.

Anathema - Alternative 4, no words needed, one of my favourite of theirs, but I have a lot from them lol It has some of the best Anathema songs for sure and I wish they would play this in its entirety *wink wink*. I've been lucky enough to catch a few songs when they played more Alternative 4 tunes and some gems from that album before. So, can't complain really.

I also love that Destroy Erase Improve Meshuggah album. I think I listened to it first or after I discovered ObZen. Can't remember now, it was so long ago. But it is an amazing, delicious mindfuck ahah

Gojira - From Mars To Sirius, another classic. This Part 5 has a lot of classics! Except for Reroute To Remain. I know it's a classic to a lot of people but I think I only like three or four songs from that album. I mostly listened to it because of Cloud Connected lol but it's more or less ignored by me.

Never heard that Dylath-Leen album though. Now I'm curious!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
27.10.2017 - 11:15
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by BloodTears on 26.10.2017 at 13:28

Funny to see Moonspell's Sin / Pecado there. It's probably my least favourite album of theirs. Well, I do like some songs in there but overall feels like a miss. Much like Butterfly Effect.

Anathema - Alternative 4, no words needed, one of my favourite of theirs, but I have a lot from them lol It has some of the best Anathema songs for sure and I wish they would play this in its entirety *wink wink*. I've been lucky enough to catch a few songs when they played more Alternative 4 tunes and some gems from that album before. So, can't complain really.

I also love that Destroy Erase Improve Meshuggah album. I think I listened to it first or after I discovered ObZen. Can't remember now, it was so long ago. But it is an amazing, delicious mindfuck ahah

Gojira - From Mars To Sirius, another classic. This Part 5 has a lot of classics! Except for Reroute To Remain. I know it's a classic to a lot of people but I think I only like three or four songs from that album. I mostly listened to it because of Cloud Connected lol but it's more or less ignored by me.

Never heard that Dylath-Leen album though. Now I'm curious!

Yeah, lots of classics (Alternative 4 ) - but it's only natural, as they are classics for a reason after all

As far as Moospell albums go, I rank Sin/Pecado really high (I'm not into goth rock, but this album does it so well ) - and I like The Butterfly effect a lot too (but indeed this one was hit and miss)

I'm not sure Reroute To Remain is considered a classic, as In Flame's sound had already evolved into more mainstream territories (you know, the 'not melo-DM anymore' stuff), but it sure is loved by quite a few In Flames fans (and hated by others ); sure it has a few meh songs on it, but it's my fav of the band.

And just go and check Dylath-Leen. Insecure is their first album, and the best they did by large margin (and imo it's so good it made me really difficult to like other female-fronted meloDM bands)
----

I am awake"
27.10.2017 - 12:03
nikarg

Quite a few famous bands in this list, however I would not choose any of these albums Sin/Pecado is one of my least favourites by Moonspell, I don't think I have listened to it more than 3 times. I don't like any In Flames of the new millennium (not that I'm a big fan anyway, but the Jester Race was cool) and I have never listened to Kreator's live album, because I am not keen on live albums in general. I'll definitely try your Immolation choice, since I am not familiar with it as far as I can remember. And man, I could never get into Gojira, Meshuggah or Anathema (even though I dig gothic rock a lot - I hope Ana won't read this). There, I said it. Looking forward to the next one!
27.10.2017 - 14:01
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by nikarg on 27.10.2017 at 12:03

Quite a few famous bands in this list, however I would not choose any of these albums Sin/Pecado is one of my least favourites by Moonspell, I don't think I have listened to it more than 3 times. I don't like any In Flames of the new millennium (not that I'm a big fan anyway, but the Jester Race was cool) and I have never listened to Kreator's live album, because I am not keen on live albums in general. I'll definitely try your Immolation choice, since I am not familiar with it as far as I can remember. And man, I could never get into Gojira, Meshuggah or Anathema (even though I dig gothic rock a lot - I hope Ana won't read this). There, I said it. Looking forward to the next one!

Ahah, peculiar choices indeed - for some of them at least
For Moonspell, well, another fave of mine is The Antidote, which usually is not that well liked. I like Jester Race too - it was my first IF album - but I feel they're better a bit later in their career (Whoracle up to Soundtrack). For Immolation I know Harnessing Ruin isn't their best, but well, I'm really fond of it (to discover the band I'd rather counsel Majesty and Decay, f.e.).
Kreator 's live is great, but if you've seen them live you'll feel the audio experience is tame compared to the warzone the moshpit always becomes during their sets... As I discovered the band with this live, and only saw them live after that, it worked
Thanks for reading!
----

I am awake"
30.10.2017 - 13:16
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by nikarg on 27.10.2017 at 12:03

And man, I could never get into Gojira, Meshuggah or Anathema (even though I dig gothic rock a lot - I hope Ana won't read this). There, I said it. Looking forward to the next one!

Of course I'll read this! Disgraceful... ahah Anathema is probably my favourite band in the world though. And they are not goth lol Why don't you like them though?

I like all of those bands, Gojira and Meshuggah as well.
----

My Instagram
30.10.2017 - 14:56
VIG
Account deleted
It's funny that this series are the only articles featured on here right now (on the homepage)
30.10.2017 - 15:19
nikarg

Written by BloodTears on 30.10.2017 at 13:16

Of course I'll read this! Disgraceful... ahah Anathema is probably my favourite band in the world though. And they are not goth lol Why don't you like them though?

Damn, I thought I was going to get away with this
I liked the early stuff.. then they became too mainstream for me.. idk.. my taste tends to be weird sometimes
30.10.2017 - 21:11
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by nikarg on 30.10.2017 at 15:19

Written by BloodTears on 30.10.2017 at 13:16

Damn, I thought I was going to get away with this
I liked the early stuff.. then they became too mainstream for me.. idk.. my taste tends to be weird sometimes

If you liked their early stuff, then I forgive you. Sometimes I miss their doom period, it was lovely. I can totally understand why people get bored with their newer stuff though. Their last album even bored me, sadly....
----

My Instagram
30.10.2017 - 21:31
Darkside Momo
Retired
I, for one, don't care for what they've done before The Silent Enigma. Of the Peaceville Three, they easily were the weakest at their beginning imo
----

I am awake"
31.10.2017 - 11:56
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Darkside Momo on 30.10.2017 at 21:31

I, for one, don't care what they've done before The Silent Enigma. Of the Peaceville Three, they easily were the weakest at their beginning imo

Really? Interesting. I like Serenades, it crushes me and I just connect to it deeply. I also like The Crestfallen and Pentecost III but less.

Glad to know The Antidote is also one of your faves! It was really different, a curve ball, that worked really well.
----

My Instagram
31.10.2017 - 13:34
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by BloodTears on 31.10.2017 at 11:56

Glad to know The Antidote is also one of your faves! It was really different, a curve ball, that worked really well.

It's probably my fave of theirs, actually
----

I am awake"
01.11.2017 - 13:38
nikarg

Of the Peaceville Three, they easily were the weakest at their beginning imo

I agree, but PL and MDB were not easy to top back then I think.
01.11.2017 - 13:44
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by nikarg on 01.11.2017 at 13:38

Of the Peaceville Three, they easily were the weakest at their beginning imo

I agree, but PL and MDB were not easy to top back then I think.

Yeah, I guess so. Gothic is considered a masterpiece for good reasons after all
----

I am awake"
03.11.2017 - 11:04
nikarg

Written by Darkside Momo on 31.10.2017 at 13:34

Now you're talking! Love me some Antidote
03.11.2017 - 14:05
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by nikarg on 03.11.2017 at 11:04

Written by Darkside Momo on 31.10.2017 at 13:34

Now you're talking! Love me some Antidote

glad to see more love for The Antidote!
----

I am awake"

Hits total: 6507 | This month: 21