02. Unbound By Sin
03. Insentience
04. First To Leave The Funeral
05. Familiar Ghosts
06. A Final Glance Back Before Departing
07. One Chapter Closing For Another To Begin
08. Inner Sanctum
09. A Particularly Cold September

Ten long years after Antichrist, the mighty Akercocke are back. This time they have taken off their suits and the band's renaissance has occurred without sacrificing any goats. Female breasts are also absent and there is no sign of Lucifer worship. But fear not, for their admirable inability to deliver a less-than-extraordinary record is intact.

"It's been too long, too long away", Jason Mendonça sings with overwhelming emotion in "Unbound By Sin", the second song of Renaissance In Extremis, which succeeds "I Disappear" or, in other words, the multiple riffs assault that opens the album. And indeed it has been too long, but it was damn worth the wait. "Insentience" is an outstanding display of inspired song structure and my personal favourite, with sorrowful guitar melodies, ferocious blackened riffs, groovy bass lines, and melodic solos blending into one aural fascination. "Familiar Ghosts" is a day spent on a rock at Land's End in Cornwall, starting with the gentle sounds of acoustic guitars and seagulls flying over the sea waves, when gradually the violins come along with the bass and the drums to forebode the imminent arrival of haunting memories that come in the form of chanting and a virtuoso solo, before a hurricane of screams over aggressive guitar and bass riffs and electronic sounds complete the cathartic experience.

I could go on and analyse every song, but you'd better try yourselves the band's quirky concoction of malicious black/death metal, enchanting gothic interludes and atmospheric passages, carefully placed tempo changes and breaks, dreamy avant-garde and jazzy parts and phenomenal progressive rock melodies.

Above all, Renaissance In Extremis is the intricate and technical offering of four overly talented musicians. Paul Scanlan, is a more than welcome return in guitars, accompanying Jason Mendonça who is also screaming, shouting, shrieking, growling and clean-singing better than he has ever done. Co-founder, David Gray, is the rhythm section master, teaming up flawlessly with sensational newcomer Nathaniel Underwood, whose bass guitar is clearly audible throughout the album. If you are a sucker for bass, just as I am, Renaissance In Extremis is your ideal fix.

Despite the positives, Akercocke's comeback record is their "softest" release to date. While still featuring their familiar brutality and bestial heaviness, the calm, mellow and progressive rock elements appear more frequently here than ever before, especially during the second half of the album and in "A Particularly Cold September", which closes it. I personally prefer their more malevolent and unforgiving side, as well as Jason's harsher vocals, but this is just me trying to nitpick.

The change in aesthetics, mentioned in the introduction, is correspondingly apparent in the lyrics that are now more introspective and intellectual, dealing with themes of loss, pain and despair, but also with personal development, healing and growth. Akercocke are ten years older since the release of Antichrist and their fans are too, so this change was probably inevitable for the former in order to avoid getting characterized as pretentious and will hopefully be positively received by the latter. In any case, Renaissance In Extremis is one of this year's best albums and another glorious addition to the band's impressively creative catalogue.

"Place my hands gently over your ears,
To save you the sound of my scream?"

Written on 24.10.2017 by Only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud!

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 160 users
24.10.2017 - 05:26
Rating: 7
Malignar

One of my favorite bands. Some of those songs on The Goat of Mendes are mind blowing. This is good background music and will surely please those that have moved on from aggressive extreme music. I unfortunately still enjoy that type of music and thus I can't really find much excitement from this. Most of the clean vocals are a challenge to listen to. Throw some effects on those to dress them up a bit...reverb...anything. I'm not sure where to rate this as I don't listen to progressive prog rock. Overall, I'm excited that they are back to play some of their amazing songs live. One day hopefully they will tour the states again.
24.10.2017 - 13:20
Rating: 8
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Good review.

As a prog lover in general, the "softness" is more than okay with me. In fact, I cherish it. So, I'm loving this new album. It's a matter of taste I guess, not a matter of if you "moved on from aggressive extreme music" or not. Because I can love the most delicate music out there and also the most extreme metal. That's what Akercocke deliver as well.

I also like all of their albums, so maybe I'm a bit biased and just glad they are back.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
24.10.2017 - 14:24
nikarg

Written by BloodTears on 24.10.2017 at 13:20

Good review.

As a prog lover in general, the "softness" is more than okay with me. In fact, I cherish it. So, I'm loving this new album. It's a matter of taste I guess, not a matter of if you "moved on from aggressive extreme music" or not. Because I can love the most delicate music out there and also the most extreme metal. That's what Akercocke deliver as well.

I also like all of their albums, so maybe I'm a bit biased and just glad they are back.

"I can love the most delicate music out there and also the most extreme metal. That's what Akercocke deliver as well."
Thanks, I couldn't have phrased it better. And I wouldn't really call myself a prog lover; quite the opposite really, but this is just too good.
24.10.2017 - 15:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
The clean vocals are an immense letdown on this album, they drag it down. Musically great and the extreme vocals are good as well, but, goddamn, those terrible clean vocals.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.10.2017 - 15:22
nikarg

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.10.2017 at 15:14

The clean vocals are an immense letdown on this album, they drag it down. Musically great and the extreme vocals are good as well, but, goddamn, those terrible clean vocals.

I admit they are an acquired taste and I also had some difficulty with them at first, but they grew on me. Maybe because I liked the music so much and this affected my view of the vocals. I definitely prefer the extreme ones too.

Hits total: 4778 | This month: 13