05. Tepid
06. Ash
07. Sterility
08. Sugar Hole
09. The Weight
10. Disfigured
11. Inevitable
12. Absolutes

Primitive Man - Caustic. The name alone flies in the face of all that is pretentious, and yes, their music does too. Despite that, it's the type of album that leaves you unsure as to whether you're too dumb to understand it, or just dumb enough to try and find a deeper album below the surface.

Caustic is a paradox. On one hand, it's a quintessential sludge metal album. If I had no prior knowledge what "sludge metal" was, and was forced to write a book report on it, I'd probably end up describing Primitive Man. It's a filthy ooze that just pours from your speakers. A slow, heavy pounding on the bottom, paired with fuzzed-out, abrasive guitar noise rounding off the top end. The vocals match the guitars in their imperfectly perfect delivery; throaty, gutteral cracking, somewhere in the ballpark of a more cavernous sounding Martin Van Drunen.

In that sense, Caustic is a perfect sludge metal album.

Here's where things get conflicting; the album gets pretty dull, pretty fast. Yes, they execute their craft flawlessly. Grab any track off this album and, standing on it's own, it will blow your proverbial dick off. Looking at the big picture though, Caustic is tediously monotonous. Nearly eighty minutes of glacial noise with little noticeable change is a bit hard to justify praising.

...Bringing us back to the whole "paradox" thing. Caustic could just be a dumb, boring, albeit fleetingly entertaining album, but considering how well Primitive Man do what they do, thinking "Maybe I'm just a moron for not getting this" is also reasonable consideration.

Written on 24.10.2017 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 88 users
24.10.2017 - 13:45
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Honestly I'm kind of feeling the same way about this one, as much as I love the band, 70 straight minutes of this type of material is a bit too much. Scorn worked so well because it was just over half that, more like 40 minutes. Not bad, but there's definitely a max dose with these guys past which their formula starts to lose its impact. Still solid 7 - 8 material though
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
24.10.2017 - 15:10
nikarg

Me too. At times I feel this is a masterpiece, while other times it bores me to death. It is definitely too long for its own good.
24.10.2017 - 18:01
Rating: 7
Kuroboshi

Fourth that opinion.
30.10.2017 - 10:44
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Ewww bummer. Album still sitting on my hard drive - unrared. Scorn is so good. Might be a let down.
----
rekt
30.10.2017 - 13:45
Daniell
_爱情_
Quite a boring album, sadly.
14.11.2017 - 05:23
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I don't get the hype.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
14.11.2017 - 15:56
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 14.11.2017 at 05:23

I don't get the hype.

There is no hype here..
17.11.2017 - 01:14
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 14.11.2017 at 15:56

There is no hype here..

Even the first album doesn't really do anything for me.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
17.11.2017 - 05:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Boxcar Willy on 17.11.2017 at 01:14

Written by Guest on 14.11.2017 at 15:56

There is no hype here..

Even the first album doesn't really do anything for me.

but then again you like shitty hipster mysic such as Sunbather ;-)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.11.2017 - 08:09
Paz

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.11.2017 at 05:28

You feel the same way.. Let me quote you

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.07.2013 at 19:07

Would personally rate it a 7.5

Btw there's quite a lot of post-metal in this release as well.
19.11.2017 - 05:01
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.11.2017 at 05:28

Wow, you sure showed me.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
21.11.2017 - 21:10
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I agree on all points yet somehow I still like it a lot. I don't mind the length if I'm doing somehting else (like making food, doing laundry, haha) because I do enjoy the overall atmosphere a lot. Like you said, the songs individually are great. I'm sure that if I sat down and did nothing but just listening to this album, yeah... I would get bored halfway through. This is what happens to me with most ambient/drone albums though so I don't see it as a huge disadvantage. I just put it on and do stuff while the music makes the atmosphere for an hour. It sure makes my grocery shop much more interesting! Haha.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
21.11.2017 - 21:30
nikarg

Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.11.2017 at 21:10

I agree on all points yet somehow I still like it a lot. I don't mind the length if I'm doing somehting else (like making food, doing laundry, haha) because I do enjoy the overall atmosphere a lot. Like you said, the songs individually are great. I'm sure that if I sat down and did nothing but just listening to this album, yeah... I would get bored halfway through. This is what happens to me with most ambient/drone albums though so I don't see it as a huge disadvantage. I just put it on and do stuff while the music makes the atmosphere for an hour. It sure makes my grocery shop much more interesting! Haha.

I relate so much to this, especially the last sentence

Hits total: 4118 | This month: 3