04. Bodom Beach Terror
05. Angels Don't Kill
06. Triple Corpse Hammerblow
07. You're Better Off Dead
08. Lil' Bloodred Ridin' Hood
09. Hate Crew Deathroll
10. Silent Scream [Slayer cover] [bonus]
11. Somebody Put Something In My Drink [Ramones cover] [bonus]

Speaking about Children of Bodom always has been very difficult, because of their mixture of styles and rhythms. Their heavy/power ? death/black style [?!] has always been odd, but this cd is really, umm? how can I say?? strange and raw?

Before listening to the album I thought, that it must be more power-metal, instead of death-metal, logical, watching their musical evolution from Something Wild to Follow the Reaper, but no! The cd is very dark ! and very aggressive! The type of music has more similarities to a Black band than to a Power one [maybe because in this album the keyboards appear less than in the other albums], but traveling around the ten tracks of the album, you can discover many ?ambiances?. I am sure that this cd is not going to leave anyone indifferent, I think that you are going to hate it, or just love it [I love it ]

The first song is ?Needled 24/7? , it doesn's sound as C.O.B usual song, the rhythm and chords are catchy [There are some catchy songs in this cd, not very normal in death-black metal]. The second one is ?Sixpounder?, it was the last song to be composed for the cd, and it is the favourite of Alexi Laiho [guitar & vocals] ; it is a really heavy song !! The third track is ?Chokehold [Cocked'N'Loaded]? , the riffs of this songs are really cool and heavy and the chorus is great. In the middle of the song there is a keyboard solo that I really fancy!

The fourth track is maybe the most catchy and ?commercial? [in some ways] song of the album, this song is called ?Bodom beach terror?. The fifth song is a really interesting one, it begins with a speech started in the end of the previous track. The track is really heavy, really slow, it sprinkles suffering and pain, a really great song [one of my favourite of the album]. The sixth one is ?Triple Corpse Hammerblow? [a really curious title]. Above all, the most remarkable things of the song are the keyboards and the chorus; the sound of it, is really different to the others songs made by C.O.B, but it rocks anyway ! The seventh song is the single: ?You're Better Off Dead? . You love it, or hate it, there are no more ways to describe it, because this album can's leave you indifferent, as I have said above.
The eight one is really great ! Maybe the Blackest song of the album, I really like this one! The song is called ?Lil' Bloodred Ridin' Hood? [another curious title, common in this cd as you can see]. The ninth is called as the album ?Hate Crew Deathroll?, a fast, hard and aggressive song [with um? a punk attitude, in Laiho's words?]. The last one is a cover, the Slayer's ?Silent Scream? song from South of Heaven album, is quite good, but I still prefer the Slayer's original one.

Written by Iced Inigo | 10.09.2003

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 12   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 212 users
29.04.2007 - 23:45
Rating: 7
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
My favorite Bodom album hands down, only 2 tracks I didnt really like 'Lil Bloodred riding hood' and 'Angels Dont Kill'.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
04.07.2007 - 04:08
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Pretty good album, but it sounds so damn overrated
----
24.08.2007 - 20:04
DigitalGrind
Account deleted
Yeah this stuff is really good,this album is ass kicking monster Children Of Bodom definetly are the best band in Finland..ouuu yeah and i can listen this stuff for days and days over and i'm not getting bored...
06.02.2008 - 17:21
Jotun_01
Account deleted
I personaly think this is COB's best album so far.

I'm listening to Banned from Heaven right now and it kicks ass.
Can't for Blooddrunk to come out.

Bodom Rules!!!

06.02.2008 - 17:23
Rating: 10
Warman
Erotic Stains
A very underestimated album! It has had a great impact on me and it remains as one of the best of Extreme Power Metal!
----
09.02.2008 - 04:32
Rating: 10
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
My personal favorite of COB. Fast and with the most amazing solos.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
24.04.2008 - 15:45
zosomac
Account deleted
Best album so far, Children Of Bodom's Hate Crew Deathroll has a kickass balance of aggresive riffs and melodic vocal attacks!
24.04.2008 - 18:59
VPeter

A very boring and overated album that is just food for the frustrated 14 year old.
02.01.2009 - 21:33
Rating: 8
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Almost as good as Follow the Reaper with goods songs like Bodom Beach Terror and Angels Don't Kill (which is one of the few good slow songs from COB, other ones being Everytime I Die and maybe Downfall). But Needled 24/7 is overrated, really, it sounds really weird to me, almost like a mix of hardcore and power metal...
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
20.04.2009 - 22:02
Rating: 5
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
It just took me three average albuns to finally find a good one in everybody's favorite band.

After the average/bad ''Follow The Reaper'', ''Hatebreeder'' and ''Something Wild'' at least I find the best CoB album. Memorable songs finally.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
09.05.2009 - 23:34
Rating: 7
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I didn't like so mych this one. it has some nice moments but generally this one is not so good IMO.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
05.12.2009 - 21:49
Rating: 8
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
This is one of those overrated/underrated albums out there. Its pretty popular considering its their breakthrough album, but "tr00" metalheads seem to hate it just for that reason. Granted its not their most complex work (I find Follow the Reaper having better song writing) this album defines Bodom as real rock stars (or metal stars to be more exact). The albums are loud, catchy, energetic and all down rather simplistically. This was my first Bodom album and after looking at it as childish, I've recently been listeneing to it and I forgot just how awesome this album was.

Hits total: 8231 | This month: 12