Metal Storm logo
Lord Of The Rings vs Star Wars

Original post

Posted by Doc G., 30.04.2007 - 09:08
I recently watched 'Clerks 2' and there was a scene in the movie where there was a big argument of Star Wars vs Lord Of The Rings, in which the person representing LOTR was made to look like a total wimp. I for one was insulted by this, meanwhile my friend thought it was hilarious, which sparked an ongoing debate over which is better.

So lets weigh it up here. Both great epic series, Lord Of The Rings written as a book before the movies, Star Wars a movie before the release of an ongoing series of sub-par books. Both have a deep story behind the story and both feature alot of the same elements. Lord Of The Rings was great because JRR Tolkien was actually in WWI so he knew of battle and there was alot of symbolism, but at the same time considering that George Lucas didnt have the first hand knowledge of such things yet he was able to create this entire universe inside his head is incredible. Though both are great I definitly choose LOTR, simply for the books, both series had great movies (original trilogy, the new Star Wars movies arent even Star Wars IMO) but simply for the fact that the LOTR books blow the Star Wars ones out of the water is why I choose LOTR.

What does everyone else think?

Poll

Which is the better epic series?

Lord Of The Rings
Star Wars

Total votes: 136
24.10.2010 - 05:25
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 22.10.2010 at 02:32

That's because I didn't read it. I was just messing with you.
(btw the vagina with teeth > an elf of questionable sexual integrity)

Well, I for one don't discriminate Orlando Bloom or his characters, but maybe he's not gay, who knows? On the other hand, George Lucas knew very well what he was putting into his (yes, I said _HIS_ because he actually had something to do with ROTJ unlike TESB) movie and you don't have to be a sex therapist to understand what the Zarnak pit that swallos men whole represents, or what the slug who needed Leia for a sex slave represents for that matter. And yet Lucas asked a psychologist about what effect Luke's forced amputation would have on kids and then he went and did THAT to Return of the Jedi? And you liked it?
Not to mention the ludicrous idea of a 1000 years of digestion, which is meaningless because at best Solo and Luke had 50 years to live anyway. Not to mention that Luke had no plan how to save himself, Solo or Leia and relied on pure luck. Here's a few things he didn't know:

1) Whether Jabba was going to oversee their execution
2) How far Jabba's ship would be from the Zarnak pit
3) Whether Jabba was going to bring R2D2 along
4) Whether Jabba was going to erase R2S2's memory
5) Whether Jabba was going to have R2D2 searched and remove the lightsaber
6) That Jabba wouldn't use Leia as a hostage like he should have : "Take the jump or the girl's dead!"

And you thought Orlando Bloom's hair was a big problem?
18.12.2010 - 09:17
Luneth
Account deleted
Scifi vs Fantasy= Always hard but I see myself as a scifi nerd and have always loved Star Wars so yeah....
19.12.2010 - 17:16
JD
Account deleted
Both sucks but if i really had to chosse one i will go with LOTR.
14.06.2011 - 19:12
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
A really easy choice. Even though the books were a whole lot better. LOTR
21.06.2011 - 14:56
Metal_4Ever
Hehe, I loved that scene of "Clercks 2" It was FuCkiN AwEsOoOoOoOoOmE...
I stand with the LOTR fan I loved his reasons to hate Star Wars... LoOoOoOoL
21.06.2011 - 15:38
Yavanna
I cannot help myself loving epic movies, even if I like star wars, the whole sci-fi thing doesn't attract as much as Middle - Earth ( as you can see by my username, I am a Tolkien Fanatic)
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand
06.07.2011 - 18:23
SPNkitkat
I can't choose! YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHOOSE! >_<
12.08.2011 - 19:42
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Both movies were great. The easy answer though is LOTR. Just because the books are easily the best fantasy books ever written.
13.08.2011 - 02:54
Mattybu
Written by Guest on 12.08.2011 at 19:42

Both movies were great. The easy answer though is LOTR. Just because the books are easily the best fantasy books ever written.

True dat. I picked LOTR too, especially in terms of them being "epic" series... LOTR man....
16.08.2011 - 04:28
Mothman
I like Star Wars more than LOTR. They're classics.