Release date: April 2017

01. The Essence Of Winter
02. Norsemaiden's Lament
03. The Thin Veil Between Our Worlds
04. Fortress Of Decadence
05. Winter's Bane II - Lurkers In The Dark
06. Midwinter Feast At The Queen's Castle
07. Everwinter's Echo

Most of you probably aren't familiar with Dreadrealm, a new atmospheric black metal, one-man band from Estonia, for which the music, lyrics, vocals, instrumentation and production are handled exclusively by Metren Angerjärv. The Essence Of Winter is his project's debut and let me now tell you why you should do yourself a favour and get to know Dreadrealm sooner rather than later.

Atmoblack bands have been emerging by the dozen in the last few years and hence the style is now unfortunately overrun by boring and lacklustre acts. Recycled tremolo riffs, tree-root resembling logos, long and plodding compositions that forget to end and out-of-place blastbeats are some of their characteristics. On the other hand, Dreadrealm's logo is perfectly readable, the songs have very little fat that needs to be trimmed and both imaginative tremolo riffs and heavy chugs are used efficiently to create the desired atmosphere. To give you an idea, the sound and music is closer to Agalloch and Sun Of The Sleepless than it is to Enisum and Eldamar.

The Essence Of Winter conveys an aura of dark and cold isolation, but it is also deeply emotional and poetic. Soft and romantic acoustic sections trade off seamlessly with abrasive, razorblade-cutting electric guitar riffs. Eerie synths and heartfelt piano melodies are often in play to portray a dreamlike surrounding. Deep, harsh growls and howls, clean vocal harmonies, chanting and haunting whispers are used to express the beautifully written lyrics and it is a pity that we don't get more of those, since The Essence Of Winter is primarily an instrumental album.

Almost every aspect of the music is carefully crafted and placed where it needs to be. It is not just the instruments and the vocals that create this dense, chilly and captivating atmosphere. Real nature sounds can be heard too, like the Baltic Sea eating away the rocks of Estonia's beachfront in "Norsemaiden's Lament", the howling wind and the footsteps of a man (or a spirit?) entering the "Fortress Of Decadence" or the crackling sound of wood burning in the fireplace and the distantly heard chatting voices of the Queen's guests in my personal favourite and epic "Midwinter Feast At The Queen's Castle". Towards the end, the snow-blizzard of "Everwinter's Echo", along with whispering vocals and a weeping guitar melody, wraps up nicely the wide array of emotions experienced during the previous 38-odd minutes of the album.

The Essence Of Winter justifies its title by offering a black metal journey through old-growth forests, wuthering lands, scenic lakes and medieval castles. It is brimming with talent and passion and proves that you don't need the budget of a small country to produce inspired metal. Don't miss it.

"Cry, oh winter wind
Reap the world of warmth and light
For thou art too unkind
Bring an everlasting night"

Written on 10.11.2017 by Only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud!

Comments

Comments: 54   Visited by: 202 users
10.11.2017 - 11:12
Metren
Dreadrealm
Thank You, Nikarg! To say that I am overwhelmed by the review would be an understatement. I gotta be honest, I was dreaming/hoping for a score of 7.5, but an 8? My mind is blown. And the review itself... it seems that everything I aimed for, I achieved with The Essence Of Winter. "More like Agalloch and less like Eldamar", it's almost like You were reading my mind . I am also really glad that Midwinter Feast is Your favorite track as it is also my personal favorite song I've ever composed.

Also, I am surprised that You didn't say something like "the album loses some momentum in the middle" because that's how I myself have come to feel, In all seriousness though, THANK YOU! for the review. And now it's back to work on the next album for me.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
10.11.2017 - 11:31
nikarg

Written by Metren on 10.11.2017 at 11:12

Thank You, Nikarg! To say that I am overwhelmed by the review would be an understatement. I gotta be honest, I was dreaming/hoping for a score of 7.5, but an 8? My mind is blown. And the review itself... it seems that everything I aimed for, I achieved with The Essence Of Winter. "More like Agalloch and less like Eldamar", it's almost like You were reading my mind . I am also really glad that Midwinter Feast is Your favorite track as it is also my personal favorite song I've ever composed.

Also, I am surprised that You didn't say something like "the album loses some momentum in the middle" because that's how I myself have come to feel, In all seriousness though, THANK YOU! for the review. And now it's back to work on the next album for me.

You're welcome mate. I mean every word and I don't think it loses momentum in the middle, "Fortress Of Decadence" is my second favourite song As I told you before, I believe it needs to get the exposure it deserves. Looking forward to the next one! (also hoping for more lyrics and growling)
10.11.2017 - 11:32
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by nikarg on 10.11.2017 at 11:31

You're welcome mate. I mean every word and I don't think it loses momentum in the middle, "Fortress Of Decadence" is my second favourite song As I told you before, I believe it needs to get the exposure it deserves. Looking forward to the next one! (also hoping for more lyrics and growling)

More lyrics and growling are definitely part of the plan ;-)
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
10.11.2017 - 12:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Nice one, somehow I missed this band and its another one BM band what worships nature, local home land not st. ann. You can see, you can tell and you can feel atmosphere into music,
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.11.2017 - 12:16
Paz
Nuclear Cowboy
Metren is Varg Vikernes of our times!
10.11.2017 - 12:19
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Paz on 10.11.2017 at 12:16

----
10.11.2017 - 12:21
Paz
Nuclear Cowboy
Written by Metren on 10.11.2017 at 12:19

I hope that you won't kill anyone
10.11.2017 - 12:24
nikarg

You totally read my mind! Seriously, I wanted to write this in the review, because it is exactly what I thought when listening to the album. Decided against it, since the review is fanboyish enough
10.11.2017 - 12:25
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Paz on 10.11.2017 at 12:21

I hope that you won't kill anyone

I kill people with my kindness only. Also, I love early Burzum albums, so thanks, haha!
----
10.11.2017 - 12:27
Paz
Nuclear Cowboy
That being said, this is by far my favorite album released by the MS user. Keep up the good work
10.11.2017 - 14:36
Zap
Written by Paz on 10.11.2017 at 12:27

That being said, this is by far my favorite album released by the MS user. Keep up the good work

Agreed. Sorry Tanner!
10.11.2017 - 14:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Paz on 10.11.2017 at 12:27

That being said, this is by far my favorite album released by the MS user.

You mean MS user active in the forums.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.11.2017 - 14:48
Paz
Nuclear Cowboy
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.11.2017 at 14:39

Yes, that's what I meant.
10.11.2017 - 15:35
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 10.11.2017 at 12:03

st. ann.

Hail St. Ann!
10.11.2017 - 15:35
VIG
Account deleted
I should re-listen to your album, Metren.
10.11.2017 - 15:53
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Guest on 10.11.2017 at 15:35

I should re-listen to your album, Metren.

Yes, yes You should
----
10.11.2017 - 15:54
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Metren on 10.11.2017 at 15:53

Yes, yes You should

I did and I'm and listening right now, that's when I made that comment on the album thread, you replied to it
10.11.2017 - 16:03
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Guest on 10.11.2017 at 15:54

I did and I'm and listening right now, that's when I made that comment on the album thread, you replied to it

Haha! Cool. Let me know what You think once You've listened to the entire thing. I also remember You giving some very useful constructive feedback to me something like a year ago, when I was creating my first songs (which all kind of sucked tbh). Thanks for that! I might not have pushed myself as far, had it not been for advice and criticism form You and others here on MS.
----
10.11.2017 - 18:32
nikarg

I am not sure who you have in mind, but I'd go for Vektor's ex-guitarist and the band's mind-blowing album last year.
10.11.2017 - 18:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by nikarg on 10.11.2017 at 18:32

I am not sure who you have in mind, but I'd go for Vektor's ex-guitarist and the band's mind-blowing album last year.

I don't find Vektor all that mindblowing, tbh, but he is one. another being Obscura's and Pestilence's Dutch ex-bassists
or Process Of Guilt's vocalist guitarist or the vocalist of a certain Dutch melodic death doom band and there are more
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.11.2017 - 22:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
MS type of friendship cant blind judgment what is best MS member musician band (and we have ramose as well, just dig)
----

apos;'
[image]
10.11.2017 - 22:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

No he is not, even band musically and lyrical is million times better as Burzum , Burzum is pioneers, classic, BM cat and Varg was most know whit his acts and hatred and speech. Unless Matreen wont go to Narva and throw Molotov in orthoxia symbol and building where that symbol stands, or do some US tye gun actions in may 9 agant old people from war , it wont mean much and wont be Varg.
----

apos;'
[image]
11.11.2017 - 00:04
Paz
Nuclear Cowboy
Written by Bad English on 10.11.2017 at 22:53

Unless Matreen wont go to Narva and throw Molotov in orthoxia symbol and building where that symbol stands, or do some US tye gun actions in may 9 agant old people from war , it wont mean much and wont be Varg.

I'm so sick of your bullshit
11.11.2017 - 05:21
Vombatus
Potorro
Agreed with the second paragraph (and the review in general). Atmo-black really is splitted between the 2 note-tremolo-riffing with plastic keyboard cheese that leads nowhere and the actual emphasis on creating a particular atmosphere through varied riffing, well placed keys and songwriting.
The first song in particular is a "how to" example for the second type (I fucking love some of the riffs and progressions... almost something Drudkh-ish in the vibe, yet with a different sound).
11.11.2017 - 05:23
Rating: 8
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl

But how does he like his cornflakes?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
11.11.2017 - 08:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by M C Vice on 11.11.2017 at 05:23

that's what I tried to say, its like saying Vatican is same size in square miles as USA.
----

apos;'
[image]
11.11.2017 - 08:15
Lord Slothrop

What a great album. I love the vocals and ambience and am really enjoying it. Thanks for the review.
11.11.2017 - 08:25
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Bad English on 11.11.2017 at 08:07

Written by M C Vice on 11.11.2017 at 05:23

that's what I tried to say, its like saying Vatican is same size in square miles as USA.

Subtitles, please? Anyone?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
11.11.2017 - 11:56
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by M C Vice on 11.11.2017 at 08:25

Written by Bad English on 11.11.2017 at 08:07

Subtitles, please? Anyone?

I'm guessing that in his analogy, I am Vatican and Varg is USA. Which is fair, since I've released just 1 album and I doubt I will ever create anything as awesome as Det Som Engang Var. Oh, and I also don't feel like stabbing unarmed people in the back 16 times...
----
11.11.2017 - 13:08
Paz
Nuclear Cowboy
I hear a strong Dråpsnatt vibes here.. Especially in the middle section of "Winter's Bane II - Lurkers In The Dark". Am I the only one?

Hits total: 6059 | This month: 26