01. An Empty Storm Is The End
02. Throes
03. Infamy Of Blackened Crowns
04. Enamored
05. The Truest Of Lamentations
06. Resplendent Doves Moan
07. Monument
08. Wreathed In Ivy

So, a couple of weeks ago a little known two man death/doom metal project from Virginia released their debut album.

...and it was actually very good! The band is known as Mournspire, here with Liminals Of Profound Loss. The music is excellently produced. I don't listen to a lot of death doom with this kind of production, but I really liked it. This being a death/doom project, the vocals feature both longing cleans and deep growling. Their sound reminds me of that of Draconian quite a bit. I would assume they were a very big influence on the band. In fact, sometimes I feels like I am listening to Draconian when I am listening to songs like "Infamy Of Blackened Crowns".

If you know me, you will know that doom and death are some of my favorite genres, so I knew I would enjoy this to some extent no matter what when I heard about it from a member of the band here on Metal Storm. I expected it to be decent at best, but, I was sort of blown away by how well it was executed and made. There are some keyboards, which can drive some people insane, but I am sort of indifferent towards them. In this case, I must say I didn't really like them. But they have become a big part of a lot of doom bands, so I get why they were used.

Their Bandcamp states "Mournspire was sought as an environment to write, perform, and grow upon our favorite aspects of doom metal.", and I think they accomplished this. I can tell they put a lot of work into this, and they do deserve some recognition for it. This came out great, and I see myself re-visiting it time and time again. Hopefully they will be able to release more good music in the future.

Stream "The Truest of Lamentations" over here.

(P.S. Big thanks to ScreamingSteelUS for making this happen and congratulations to Carrion Misery on the new album!)

Written by Account deleted | 01.12.2017

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 19   Visited by: 129 users
01.12.2017 - 11:05
nikarg
Staff
Congrats on your first front page review VIG!

edit: And I wish you a very, very happy birthday! Damn, I'd love to be 16 again Have a blast dude!
01.12.2017 - 13:29
VIG
Account deleted
Written by nikarg on 01.12.2017 at 11:05

Congrats on your first front page review VIG!

Thanks! It's kind of like an MS birthday present
01.12.2017 - 13:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Nice one and fix ubb error
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.12.2017 - 14:34
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 01.12.2017 at 13:49

Nice one and fix ubb error

I know, ScreamingSteelUS is going to fix it I think, he posted it.
01.12.2017 - 17:44
Rating: 9
Carrion Misery
Thanks for the review, man. I'm glad you like the album. We wrote it in a way so that you'll hear something new every time you listen \m/ We'll definitely pump more albums out. And we'll be sure to add extra keyboard next time haha
----
? Carrion Misery
www.mournspire.com | Two-Man Death Doom Project
Full album streaming
01.12.2017 - 19:49
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Carrion Misery on 01.12.2017 at 17:44

And we'll be sure to add extra keyboard next time haha

Go ahead, man, I'm sure there are some who love the keyboards.
02.12.2017 - 05:43
Eddie Misery
VIG, for the next album, I'm going to write the intro completely only with keys, in your honor.

But no, seriously, thanks for taking the time to review our album. I hope you hear new things every time. There are several parts that surprised me after everything was finished. I'd timestamp them but that takes the fun out of it. I just hope people enjoy it.

Like Drew (Carrion) said, there is plenty more to come. Thanks again and thanks to anyone who takes the time to listen. Feedback is always welcome and we hope you find something in the music that means something to you.
02.12.2017 - 13:59
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Eddie Misery on 02.12.2017 at 05:43

VIG, for the next album, I'm going to write the intro completely only with keys, in your honor.

But no, seriously, thanks for taking the time to review our album. I hope you hear new things every time. There are several parts that surprised me after everything was finished. I'd timestamp them but that takes the fun out of it. I just hope people enjoy it.

Your welcome!
04.12.2017 - 09:52
Paz
Elite
Written by nikarg on 01.12.2017 at 11:05

Damn, I'd love to be 16 again

Hey Nick, how old are you? I'm just curious
04.12.2017 - 10:45
nikarg
Staff
Written by Paz on 04.12.2017 at 09:52

Hey Nick, how old are you? I'm just curious

04.12.2017 - 12:16
Paz
Elite
Written by nikarg on 04.12.2017 at 10:45

Damn, indeed, you are old
04.12.2017 - 17:16
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Paz on 04.12.2017 at 09:52

Hey Nick, how old are you?

Weird, I was going to ask him the same thing.
04.12.2017 - 23:44
nikarg
Staff
Written by Paz on 04.12.2017 at 12:16

Damn, indeed, you are old

I'm young at heart
05.12.2017 - 05:18
VIG
Account deleted
Written by nikarg on 04.12.2017 at 23:44

I'm young at heart

I wouldn't even call 41 old honestly. 50 is probably where I'd say old starts, but everyone feels old, and that's just me who thinks that way.
[On-topic]
Carrion gave me some tips for my next review, so I hope they put out another album soon so I can tackle that one next, although I think I'm going to finally review #SpectralVoice
[/On-topic]
05.12.2017 - 06:45
Carrion Misery
Written by Guest on 05.12.2017 at 05:18

I wouldn't even call 41 old honestly. 50 is probably where I'd say old starts, but everyone feels old, and that's just me who thinks that way.
[On-topic]
Carrion gave me some tips for my next review, so I hope they put out another album soon so I can tackle that one next, although I think I'm going to finally review #SpectralVoice
[/On-topic]

Sometimes I forget how old I am. I guess that happens once you pass 30.

Haha #SpectralVoice has had a long time coming. You'd crush it, man. Thanks again.
----
? Carrion Misery
Full album streaming
05.12.2017 - 17:34
nikarg
Staff
Written by Guest on 05.12.2017 at 05:18

[On-topic]
[/On-topic]

When I was 16, I thought 20 was old Now, I consider old only people over 70.
[On-topic]
1) I finally managed to listen to this album. I enjoyed it and I also like the keys Keep up the good work guys!
2) I'm very interested to hear what you have to say about #SpectralVoice. After all, it was your persistent spamming that made Mr Doctor add them to the database
[/On-topic]
05.12.2017 - 18:16
Carrion Misery
Written by nikarg on 05.12.2017 at 17:34

1) I finally managed to listen to this album. I enjoyed it and I also like the keys Keep up the good work guys!

That means a lot coming from you, man \m/ Having our album added to Metal Storm was one of our personal major pillars of accomplishment we set out for. Thanks
----
? Carrion Misery
Full album streaming
05.12.2017 - 18:41
VIG
Account deleted
Written by nikarg on 05.12.2017 at 17:34

2) I'm very interested to hear what you have to say about #SpectralVoice. After all, it was your persistent spamming that made Mr Doctor add them to the database

I'm sorry, the review has been taking a while, and its not even near finished. I hope to have it done by the end of next week.
09.12.2017 - 02:51
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
It's a good album, and this review is spot on

Hits total: 4660 | This month: 9