Metal Storm logo
Machine Head - Premiere New Music Video

It's time to hear the second song off of Machine Head's new release. The thrash metallers from San Francisco will release their anticipated new album, Catharsis, on January 26th via Nuclear Blast Entertainment. Today, the band has released the official music video for the album's title track, "Catharsis", which is also available as a single. The video features Butoh dancers, insane asylums, straight jackets and roses.

Butoh dance is literally and figuratively the dance of death and pain. Born from Hiroshima/Nagasaki post-World-War-II-era Japan, the dance was created around the radioactive wasteland left behind in the wake of the nuclear bomb being dropped. Dancers would paint themselves in ash and take on a gaunt, deathly look. Facial expressions are agonizing and the body language is often deformed and contorted, expressing the pain and suffering that was a direct result of atomic warfare.

Frontman Robb Flynn explains: "'Catharsis' was a tricky concept to translate to a visual. How do you express somebody's catharsis? Frasier, the director, brought up the Butoh dance concept and it tied in so well into the idea of what catharsis could be. And when the Butoh dancers began performing for the video, we were blown away. Their expressions were so pained, almost horrifying, and yet very sad, it was extremely moving."

The other side of Machine Head's 'Catharsis' video recounts the experiences of mental asylum patients. Oftentimes, in the '50s and '60s, people went through traumatic and regrettable experiences, and those vivid photos still linger today.

Flynn continues: "On a personal level, I related to this aspect. My uncle Jimmy lived with us for years while growing up. He had experienced some pretty severe drug testing when he was younger and didn't come out of it very well. For the rest of his life, he would do things like not eat for seven days straight and talk to Jesus all day. It was a trip to grow up with that at home. So, we took these disparate elements and turned them into a very cinematic and psychedelic visual to express that."

Hear the other song released before over here.

Source: nuclearblast.de
Band profile: Machine Head
Posted: 08.12.2017 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 6   Visited by: 130 users
08.12.2017 - 13:17
cossaisVendeurs

The first 1:14 of the song was good. Then Machine Head came in and ruined it.

At least it doesn't sound like Zimmer's Hole.
08.12.2017 - 16:56
UPDIRNS

The song has a couple OK moments, but overall it sucks. What the hell has Machine Head turned into? Their last album Bloodstone sucked and I feel this is headed in that direction. I loved Locust and Blackened. Go back to that style please.
08.12.2017 - 16:57
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Robb really meant it when he said the songs would be "accessible"
10.12.2017 - 13:20
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Not too bad!
13.12.2017 - 09:37
Temirch

It's completely not the level of MH. Their albums The Blackening, Locust and Diamonds were the things that could inspire you to make your own music and this...Just a typical thing...
----
No more Mr. Nice Guy
21.01.2018 - 11:47
dark_mar

I like it.

Hits total: 2431 | This month: 6