Metal Storm logo
Nevermore - Warrel Dane Passes Away Of Heart Attack

Terrible news surfaced today for Nevermore and Sanctuary fans as singer Warrel Dane has reportedly passed away in Brazil, according to Brazilian news source UOL. He also had a solo career and was in fact working on a new solo album. He was only 56 years old. Warrel Dane possessed a unique voice, penned thought-provoking lyrics and his music will live on. Rest in peace...

According to UOL, Warrel was in São Paulo, Brazil creating his second solo album, Shadow Work. Solo band member Johnny Moraes tells UOL: "He died in the night, he had a heart attack. He was in the flat where he stayed for the recording of the album when it happened. I got to do cardiac massage, we called the SAMU (Brazilian ambulance) who arrived very fast, but when they arrived he was already dead."

Moraes continues: "His health was already very weak because of his diabetes and his problems with alcoholism. He was already facing a lot of health problems... The record was almost finished and we started to record the voice. The musicians are already thinking about how to use the material for a posthumous tribute. Maybe we can count on guests, but there's nothing official yet."

Photo: E. Straver/T. Martijn

Sanctuary already reacted to the shocking news via Facebook: "Today I wake up to the news that Warrel Dane has died. I don't even know what to say. My friend, brother and musical companion for over 30 years has passed away. I'm in total shock right now. I'm sorry for any close family or friends that had to hear the news on Facebook."

"The memories will be there for you
To give you peace of mind
And when there's nothing more left to gain
And no risks left worth taking
The memories will be true to you...
In memory, in memory...
Memory is alive
"

"In Memory" from the Nevermore In Memory EP

Source: noticias.bol.uol.com.br
Band profile: Nevermore
Posted: 13.12.2017 by BloodTears

Comments page 3 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 67   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 493 users
16.12.2017 - 23:53
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by Polaria on 16.12.2017 at 09:05

Considering Dane's declining health it may have crossed his (and others') mind he may not be able to finish the album and maybe he discussed dispositions with the other musicians in that case. Of course that's all speculations from my part, as much as saying that "they're doing the tribute for $$$".

And again, what would be the overall financial gain on that tribute album? I understand the guy was well known in metal circles but still that's a niche musical market and I doubt this will bring significant amounts of money to the surviving musicians.

At most they will cover the studio expenses. Most jackasses think that Warrel Dane was some kind of treasury. None of his bands made a major commercial breakthrough.
17.12.2017 - 16:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Darkside Momo on 14.12.2017 at 17:57

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.12.2017 at 17:15

Warrel Dane is from 1961. No idea why 1969 keeps on popping up all over the place.

If you have a reliable source, that would be perfect

Got it confirmed this weekend through reliable sources... two very good friends of Warrel Dane. Funny thing is that both of them are credited for the photo in the news article here on MS, namely Eus Straver and Talitha Martijn.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.12.2017 - 16:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Dark Cornatus on 13.12.2017 at 22:13

Sad news. Might want to change his age of death though to 48 years old... He was born in 69'

Nope, he was born in 1961. Got it confirmed this weekend. (read for my sources the comment I posted on Darkside Momo's comment here)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.12.2017 - 18:37
Rapid Fire
Regardless of his age this is a true disgrace. RIP Warrel, your legacy will never be forgotten.
----
Twelve voices were shouting in anger, and they were all alike. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
18.12.2017 - 05:00
mikeprado30
Indeed it was a bad fact his dead. May his soul rest in peace, far beyond this soulless world.
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
19.12.2017 - 12:35
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.12.2017 at 16:20

Got it confirmed this weekend through reliable sources... two very good friends of Warrel Dane. Funny thing is that both of them are credited for the photo in the news article here on MS, namely Eus Straver and Talitha Martijn.

Thanks for the info! (and yeah, fun coincidence)
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
25.12.2017 - 22:32
Metalodious
Never more to feel the pain
The Heart Collector sang
And I won't be feeling hollow for so long.

Never more to feel the pain
The words fall out like fire
Believe, when you can't believe anymore.

Truly, your words will forever be an inextricable part of me. Thank you.
----
It's not that I don't want to be happy, I'm just not sure I'd enjoy it.

Hits total: 10849 | This month: 30