Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2018

Original post

Posted by 3rdWorld, 05.01.2018 - 19:27
You know the drill, post any metal album released/upcoming in 2018 that you listened, found worthy and want to recommend to others.

UK one-man black metal with a heavy wall-of-noise production. Its on Sentient Ruin, so guaranteed to deliver.

Vessel Of Iniquity - Vessel Of Iniquity

30.10.2018 - 13:08
Zap
Written by Mercurial on 30.10.2018 at 11:19

One of the weirdest psychedelic doom / stoner / sludge things I've heard in a while. The vocal style is off the chart, and musically it's bizarre too. Everything sounds just a bit "off" and yet it seems to work so well.

Woah.
30.10.2018 - 13:10
Mercurial

Written by Zap on 30.10.2018 at 13:08

Woah.

I wasn't sure if it was terrible or good at first, but pretty sure it's good.
30.10.2018 - 14:02
Zap
Written by Mercurial on 30.10.2018 at 13:10

I wasn't sure if it was terrible or good at first, but pretty sure it's good.

Once the vocals started I was convinced
31.10.2018 - 14:05
Mercurial

Bismuth continue to slay with their new one. Minimalist, atmospheric drone doom.

Very nice heavy-epic doom.

Black Lotus

Absolutely beastly black / death / sludge.

Rituals of the Dead Hand

Densely packed, crushing atmospheric doom.

Shallow Grave

Ballsy, Nordic atmos-black.

Voodus

Death-doom that's way better than the art suggests. Slightly treated vocals by the sounds of it but works well.

Iteru

Doomy atmospheres in this dissonant ambient black band.

Blosse

Nice riffy, midpaced melodic black metal with an edge. +1 for their great logo too.

Demifiend

Tribal folk / doom. Straddles eerie and the atmospheric.

ISM

Low-fi black / doom from Hell.

Dispirit

This keeps popping up so surprised no one's shared it yet. Blackly dissonant mathcore with oodles of atmosphere. Really good.

Noise Trail Immersion

Wicked mashup of old-school dm and black metal, differentiated by dual-vocal assault.

Sentient Divide

Nearly skipped this because of the art, but glad I didn't. Superbly evil, dense and fully formed black metal.

Cultum Interitum

Heavy, slow, destructive sludge doom from the depths. Niiice.

Boru

Rather good black / death that focuses on melody and atmosphere while still supplying the riffs.

Pale Ritual

Uncompromising punk-fueled death metal, with art by Dan Landtomb.

Unravel

Some sort of prog thing with prominent sci-fi synth. I dig it.

Herr Nox

I'm guessing Sylvaine is going to be the next Myrkur. Gazey Norwegian atmos-black / rock helmed by one woman. It's quite decent. Looking like Britney Spears has to be a career boon too.

Sylvaine

New Revenge EP coming out. Never got what made people so wet with this band but here it is.

I guess that's enough for the moment.
31.10.2018 - 18:49
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Vicious and heavy metallic hardcore.

Lifesick

Highly synth driven and almost In the Woods-like funeral doom by a one-woman band called Vouna. This is pretty good and definitely a must-listen for fans of the genre.

Vouna

Another track streaming over here.

Deceased are back after a long long wait of 7 years. Been waiting forever for this as they announced the title just right after Surreal Overdose was released in 2011. These guys don't ever get a single note wrong so the 13 and a half minute track here is fucking worth every day of the wait.

Sludge/doom with Hardcore vocals. Works pretty great.

SunStare

01.11.2018 - 12:59
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Groovy black/death with almost vicious and intense vocals.

Third Storm

Oppressing, really heavy sounding and droning funeral doom form Mexico.

Abyssal

01.11.2018 - 13:30
Mercurial

Great sounding extreme prog / death metal. Plenty of melodic / heavy / atmospheric variation.

Wills Disolve

Off-kilter avant-garde tech death weirdness. Nice feeling of discombobulation.

Zealotry

More deliciously vile blackened sludge-doom for ruinous days.

Owlcrusher

Lo-fi country doom psychedelic oddity.

Phog

Heavy but chilled instrumental post-doom compositions.

Ddent

Good sounding post-ish black. There's also an instrumental version.

Second To Sun
01.11.2018 - 13:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Mercurial on 01.11.2018 at 13:30

More deliciously vile blackened sludge-doom for ruinous days.

Owlcrusher

Isn't that from 2017? I remember having had to review it in September of that year.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.11.2018 - 13:50
Mercurial

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.11.2018 at 13:41

Isn't that from 2017? I remember having had to review it in September of that year.

Lol yep, even says so in the description. Guess I'm getting too old to notice details like that now.
01.11.2018 - 13:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Mercurial on 01.11.2018 at 13:50

Lol yep, even says so in the description. Guess I'm getting too old to notice details like that now.

----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.11.2018 - 16:48
3rdWorld
China was a neat
New Valkyrja album on World Terror Committee. Ferocious and balls-blazing black metal.

Instrumental math / progressive metal from Ireland. Songwriting is pretty solid as fuck. Glad that the guitar is nothing djenty but pretty aggressive and neat.

Aponym

01.11.2018 - 18:16
Unhealer
Eclecticist
More not-to-be-missed black metal, this time dsbm.

https://ierdepression.bandcamp.com/album/-
01.11.2018 - 21:38
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Insanely riff-driven and riotous sludge/stoner with powerful vocals.

Allegator Rodeo

01.11.2018 - 23:27
Mercurial

Daaaamn, a new Karv Du EP. Amazed I missed out on this being released. Sadly it's only a short 2 track EP. but it's top tier regardless. For fans of Virus, and are every bit as good as them. Much cleaner, fuller production this round, but sounds fucking incredible, the second track especially.

Karv Du

I highly recommend their previous album to everyone that hasn't heard it (which is basically every except me and mz).

Recommended by Schammasch on their FB page. Pretty massive, intense sounding black metal.

Kenosis
02.11.2018 - 01:10
Zap
Written by Zap on 21.10.2018 at 15:23

New Soul Grip sounds like some intense, aggressive black metal. There seems to be less of a hardcore side to it than with the debut, although it's hard to tell from one track and it has been a while since I listened to Avadon.

Streaming in full
Gonna give it a spin tomorrow, hopefully.
02.11.2018 - 17:07
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Belgian Post / black on Consouling Sounds. Sounds heavy, fucking desolate and ominous like every release on the label.

Kuar Nhial

Hands down the best arbitrary swamp arithmatic metal album I've ever heard.

The Great Sabatini

Traditional heavy / doom metal with mostly epic clean vocals.

URSA

Stunningly fresh sounding melodic / progressive metal with symphonic elements as well from Derby, UK.

Suodeth

02.11.2018 - 18:49
Zap
Written by 3rdWorld on 02.11.2018 at 17:07

Kuar Nhial

Listened to this one a while back and while I liked the music the vocals turned me off at the time. Might have to give it another try really.
02.11.2018 - 19:10
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Yeah I think what was good about that is that its not as lame as the usual atmoblack albums, it was sounding more akin to post metal heaviness. Vocals might not be the high point there.

Yet another face smashing balls-to-the-walls heavily hardcore influenced grind. Tasty artwork.

My Minds Mine

Black/death from Gloucester, UK that is bassy and features Anaal Nathrakh-like drumming.

Ascaris

Almost sludge-sounding crust / grind from USA.

Graven

Maniacal and elephantine sounding crust / grind. Highly recommended. Fucking lame logo could've been done away with though.

Your End

Solid black metal with lots of ferocious blasts, tremolo picking solos. Vocals sound a bit of a misfit though slightly.

Paragon Impure

05.11.2018 - 13:59
Mercurial

It's hard to describe, but I absolutely love this band's sound. Some kind of twisted, off-kilter black / death with great percussive rhythm and and hellish vocals. Original, but gives me some Cloak of Altering vibes too. Tickles my fancy.

Dim Lords

Thunderous metallic hardcore that hits everything I want from the genre.

Anna Sage

I guess I would describe this as some kind of technical, progressive melodeath. It's definitley grittier and harder hitting than the average band of the genre.

Odyssian

More progressive death, this time much more focuses on the prog side. Somewhat dry for my tastes but there's definitely an audience for this.

BRVMAK

Another record from Striborg. A sort of return to his black metal oddness, but still retains some of his electronic experimentation.

Striborg

I don't know if this is just going to remain a single (I'm sure Marcel will tell me) but this new(ish) track from Verwoed is some absolutely killer post-black metal.

Verwoed

Not entirely sure, but I think is some kind of split / collab with Oak Pantheon. Some solid melodic, atmospheric black.

Amiensus

Jazz-influenced prog / avant-garde death. Their sound is fairly gritty but structurally interesting for the patient.

Steorrah

Bass and drum sludge-grind. Not bad at all.

Greber

"Sort of grindcore from Stockholm." Yeah that.

Setsuko

Great old-school black with high emphasis on dynamic riffage and melancholic melodies.

Nahtrunar

No, that's not Evoken, it's a A Flock Named Murder. Some rather good melody-laden black / doom.

A Flock Named Murder

Can you have an instrumental concept album? Cloud think so. Some fairly lo-fi, vocal-free psychedelic stoner / doom.

Cloud

12 minutes of blackened / deathened mechanical hell.

Cult of Extinction

Very decent modern epic, melodic metal. Maintains a good heavy style, whilst foregrounding vocal flare.

Rising

Cool, retro, psychedelic (or synthy at least) doom with very un-doom-like vocals.

Huata

More of that WitTR / Deafheaven atmos blackgaze. Big, dense atmospheres.

Trna

Not for the uninitiated: this is a 70 minute double album of dense ambient, noise and drone infused black metal. This kind of thing usually fails right out of the gate, but the balance here is top notch. and while it's alienating the atmosphere is also extremely compelling.

Degredo
(Second track listenable here)
05.11.2018 - 18:22
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Wretched, putrid and tar-soaked bassy caveman death / doom metal that breaks no new ground.

Bloodsoaked Necrovoid

Intense, loud and thumping bassy psychedelic stoner doom live recorded single from this Latvian band.

Saturn's Husk

Really uplifting, progressive atmoblack that is like a more up-beat and ADHD friendly version of Spectral Lore.

Nightgrave

06.11.2018 - 00:49
Mercurial

The Atrocity Exhibit's new one now fully streamable. Punky grind delights <3

And once again, black metal is winning it. Vocals that sound like they were taken from an Arizmenda album, and music that's both recognisable, but somehow weird and unique to this band. This is just great in sound and form.

Svabhavat

Depressive (at least in sound) post-black. Another band that has that great warm, comforting tone I really dig. The heavenly riff at 2.43, along with the overt German nature of it, reminds of Hünengrab im Herbst (or possibly Aaskereia) in a roundabout kind of way. I hope the rest of the album is as good as this track.

Nemus

Alternative / Industrial metal, that in a way borders the lame, but actually comes across as really well done. This is the kind of thing that had it been released in the late 90s would have everyone going crazy on the dance floor, people emphatically mouthing the words to one another during the chorus in grotty metal clubs.

The Blank Canvas

Spanish mathcore / -core, that sounds surprisingly on the ball to me.

LionHead

And from Russia, some somewhat SikTh-y -core / djent that seems more than competent.

Severals

Haven't posted any psychedelic rock for a while, so listen to some psychedelic rock, for a while.

Slift
06.11.2018 - 09:03
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Monstrously epic black featuring 30 minute tracks that is still fresh and utterly engaging. Great ambient parts with equally ferocious passages. Epic songwriting as well. Surprised no one posted about it.

Ion - A Path Unknown

Cavernous, dissonant and almost psychedelic but still heavy as fuck black metal.

Abyssal Vacuum

Instrumental Post-metal from Italy. Great epic and emotional songwriting.

Charun

Half-child of Gorguts / Horrendous. And as good as that sounds.

Replicant

Great hardcore / crossover thrash / grind in almost equal parts.

Slumlord

06.11.2018 - 11:09
Mercurial

Written by 3rdWorld on 06.11.2018 at 09:03

Cavernous, dissonant and almost psychedelic but still heavy as fuck black metal.

Abyssal Vacuum

Has been on my list for months guess I'll let you off though as I clearly didn't tag the post on this thread.
06.11.2018 - 15:50
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Some of the most dried out, hate-filled, misanthropic and Inhumanly Intense, pounding doom comparable to the levels of of Indian, Funeralium etc. Really loved their '13 record. Glad to see them still continuing the same path of vicious doom desolation. From the frenchies.

Cult of Occult

Epic, long, drawn out stoner tinged doom from two UK bands. Grainy artwork style ftw.

Mammoth Wizard Weed Bastard / Slomatics

Intense and heavy as fuck sludge doom. Great riffage.

Heron

Bassy, atmospheric and quality prog / stoner doom metal with lot of calm atmospheric passages from UK. Sounds quite uplifting though with the clean vocals.

Buried Sleeper

Awesome stoner / sludge with a very raw and organic feel. Snazzy cover art as well.

Rat King

And well there is a new Grajo record as well. For the uninitiated they are a spanish band playing a fuzzy doom with nice soothing female vocals.

Another mind meltingly heavy doom from Norwich, UK. Cover is pure eye candy as well. Only downside is not quite variety going on in the songwriting department.

Nervewrecker

Really melodic and melancholic black metal thing from UK that is epic, Odyssean, elating and touching. Great solos and background choruses. Listening to this is quite a journey.

Aklash

Sounds as good as the artwork.

Orphans Of Doom

Shameless 70's style occult retro doom / stoner thing from Oslo, Norway. Highly song oriented and fun record.

Tempelheks

Intense and bassy sludge doom from Czech with really sick artwork.

King Keporkak

More awesome sounding stoner / doom from Poland. More fun and faster this time.

Hidden Haze

Riotously fun raw and groovy progressive sludge / doom from Austria. With great solos and vocals that is almost early Mastodon-y at times.

Chorosia

Slow, riveting and awesome sounding doom and roll from Texas.

Thunder Hourse

Highly drum oriented extreme core / prog from the drummer of The Mass. Sounds really fresh and original.

Wrack

Stoner with nice psychedelic / space rock-ish touches. From Essex, UK.

Earthmass

Oh and there's a new Kever record coming up as well. Death metal from Israel by the members of Mortuus Umbra, Sonne Adam etc.

Kever

First full length from Adaestuo.

Amazingly well produced intense sludge / doom from London, UK.

Burning Vow

Funeral doom debut from Sicily, Italy that is surprisingly not as slow as the genre standards. Great vocals and slow passages though.

Fordomth

Full Stream here

06.11.2018 - 21:48
3rdWorld
China was a neat
A new snippet from the upcoming Lascaille's shroud one track album. Progressive death with great double bass drums, strong and solid riffing and amazing vocals. One man band which is basically a fan service to fans of the genre, and it does live up to each of the highest standards in the genre.

Someone already posted this. Streaming in full now. Paolo Girardi stamped death so its good death.

Zealot Cult

Full Stream here

07.11.2018 - 15:57
Mercurial

This is an interesting take on experimental, sludge I guess? While it contains some more traditional sludge elements, it takes on a much more shapeless form, aiming to explore various facets of dark ambient and death industrial. It's very well put together, and I like that the sludge elements are merely an extention of the sound, rather than being the focus. Artwork looks very Wrest-like, but I don't think it is [EDIT] it is.

Abjection Ritual

Bright, chirpy piano / jazz / even video game sounding instrumental metal from Japan. A fun and pleasant panacea to all the gloom.

Takt

In light of the recent midterms and mild victory for the dems, here's a politicised 100, 1 - 10 second, grind songs. Grind just like how grandma used to make. It's funny, but watching the song titles change every few seconds is basically like watching historical soundbites from Trump's last two years.

Anal Trump

And on the other side of the spectrum, something melodic death doom fans will enjoy.

Décembre Noir

I was expecting a well done, if bog standard sludge / stoner doom record, but I wasn't expecting microtonal dissonance and death metal bells and whistles. A fairly inventive take on the overdone, and one that's actually somewhat uncomfortable to listen to.

Bringer of Sorrow

Really nice, incredibly moody, ambient / atmospheric lull-focused black metal from Belgium. Might have to turn your sound up for this one but the production style is my kind of thing.

Cultor Noctis

Only an EP but Coughdust go for big when constructing a sludge sound. Heavy.

Coughdust

Fast but melody focused German black metal. Germans really are perfectly suited as bm vocalists.

Hallig

Kyuss vocal legend John Garcia has a track streaming from his new album. Some pretty classy, fun desert rock.

John Garcia And The Band Of Gold

New Deitus record on I, Voidhangar. Modern, slightly orthodox black metal.

Deitus

Excellent post-metal, combined with some ambient and very occasional black metal flare. This has a much more disembodied approach to the genre, so there's little big booming hardcore-laden riffs, but rather scattered jams that quickly fall into atmospheric texturing.

yrs.

Not my thing, but this seems like some good violin and piano laden funeral doom.

Ivan

Pa Vesh En also released their first full length last month. I was really impressed by the demos / EPs, and this carries that on. Thickly layered, ominous black metal that hides eerie melody in its depths.

Pa Vesh En

Pink Floyd's 'The Wall' reimagined by dozens of bands, including The Melvins, Mos Generator, Pallbearer, Mars Red Sky, Yawning Man and a lot of other big names.

Various artists

New Swamp Witch song (the band that headlined the 2015 metal recs thread). Massive sounding doom with gutteral vocals.

Swamp Witch

Indie rock, stoner metal, with a distinctly death metal artwork. Sounds fresher than the hoards of stoner bands that think psych-rock jamming is still something worth listening to.

Greenleaf
08.11.2018 - 19:36
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by tominator on 29.10.2018 at 02:15

IAH - ll. Really great instrumental stoner rock with psychedelic elements to it. One of my favourite instrumental albums this year.

Stunning record this. Love how the near-vocal like and human voice mimicking guitar playing is in calm parts and the riffs. The songwriting is of unbelievable quality especially because it feels like it was written for song parts and then is released without vocals, truly one of the best Instrument metal albums this year.
08.11.2018 - 21:03
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Solid, heavy and melancholic Russian doom.

Doom Architect

Almost cyber-sounding grind but guess its all live recording.

Sleeping Deficit

08.11.2018 - 23:59
tominator
At best deranged
Written by 3rdWorld on 08.11.2018 at 19:36

Stunning record this. Love how the near-vocal like and human voice mimicking guitar playing in calm parts and the riffs. The songwriting is of unbelievable quality especially because it feels like it was written for song parts and then is released without vocals, truly one of the best Instrument metal albums this year.

Couldn't have said it better. One of the few records I listened to more than 2 times this year. Usually I move on after 2 listens so that I can discover as many new albums this year as possible. But like I said this one is an exception. And it just gets better with repeated listens.
09.11.2018 - 01:11
Mercurial

New Clandestine Blaze record. It's black metal, you'll be surprised to know. Actually I quite like it.

Clandestine Blaze

"Celestial" post-doom with extraordinary pleasant female vocals. I would listen to this on that merit alone. She's really something. [EDIT] Whoops, I already posted this but it's out now in full so all good.

Leonov

And if you like that one then you'll like this one too, by Esben and the Witch.

Esben and the Witch