Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2018

Original post

Posted by 3rdWorld, 05.01.2018 - 19:27
You know the drill, post any metal album released/upcoming in 2018 that you listened, found worthy and want to recommend to others.

UK one-man black metal with a heavy wall-of-noise production. Its on Sentient Ruin, so guaranteed to deliver.

Vessel Of Iniquity - Vessel Of Iniquity

09.11.2018 - 16:34
Zap
Written by 3rdWorld on 02.11.2018 at 19:10

Solid black metal with lots of ferocious blasts, tremolo picking solos. Vocals sound a bit of a misfit though slightly.

Paragon Impure

Streaming in full now.
11.11.2018 - 16:29
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by 3rdWorld on 06.11.2018 at 15:50

Funeral doom debut from Sicily, Italy that is surprisingly not as slow as the genre standards. Great vocals and slow passages though.

Fordomth

Full Stream here

[/center]

This great album available in bc now.

12.11.2018 - 15:26
Mercurial
Think this is going to be one of those albums that's hard to gauge from one song but it promises cross-genre experimentation. The available song is some quite nice melodic and atmosphere exploring black metal though.

Omgeving

Prog metal that I could actually see myself listening to, mostly owing to the vocal style, but musically it's very much a non-boring approach I can appreciate.

Sky Signals

A couple of great sounding things coming up on Sentient Ruin. This is one a heavily metalicized deathrock / post-punk number that really works well.

Deth Crux

The second is cascading yet slightly sinister doomy black metal.

Ayyur

Ambidjent which makes me miss Chimp Spanner a little less.

Bastila

Somewhat atypically structured doom death. Bouncy, staccato and definitely foul.

Foul

More modern prog that I can really dig. Fun songs with quality songwriting.

Four Stroke Baron

Slow burning black metal that pretty much only I'm gonna care about.

Selbsthass

Didn't think I'd like this but I kind of do. Slightly techy old school death metal.

Cathexia

Not sure if this was posted some time back, but here's the full thing. This is some amazingly full-formed combinations of black, death and doom metal (and probably other bits and pieces). It doesn't sound progressive in the slightest, but the songmanship is of crazy quality so it remains a very direct and hard hitting mixture of styles that come together seamlessly, with super-refined production.

Rather great sounding, insanely fast dissonant yet atmospheric blackened death metal due next year. Nice sound and quieter moments too, with some definite Ulcerate vibes in. Possible 2019 rec thread springboard material if anyone can be arsed.

Noctambulist

I think this is about as aggressive as punk can be before becoming grind.

Sistemas de Aniquilación

And new Suffering Quota now fully listenable, for stellar grind. A shame, these guys were featured in the MS awards, and that featured album still only ended up with 4 votes in the album thread.

Suffering Quota
13.11.2018 - 13:08
Mercurial
Two prolific artist spin offs that both sound good.

Mories' chilled but intense gazey, shimmery project Seriom.

Seirom

And another Matron Thorn thing, though this time it actually sounds good. Weird avant-garde metal.

13.11.2018 - 23:41
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Caveman death metal from Tomb Mold.

Best female fronted drone / doom album I've heard since like ever.

Nightwitches

Nice melodic atmoblack with uplifting clean melodic vocals and overall great mood

Duirvir

Pretty nice cascadian black.

Marid

Ravaging and darker than a black hole black.

Brahdr'uhz

Nice retro grooved focused thrash from Costa rica that works pretty well and has excellent solos and shredding. Artwork though.

Heresy

Surprised this isn't posted yet. Maniacal, heavy and balls-to-the-walls grind from Brazil. Could easily rank among the best this year.

Facada

Seinfeldgrind for the win.

Grindfeld

14.11.2018 - 12:40
Mercurial
What even is this? Some kind of black metal meets thrash meets guy who likes to shout more than Alex Jones? That's definitley an artwork.

Filii Nigrantium Infernalium

Some wicked, chunky technical grind coming up. Lots of personality to this one.

Ernia

Don't know how to describe this really, but it sounds fucking great. Dillinger Escape Plan members along with those from Extol and Sea + Air, the result is a weird mixture of poppy singing and eclectic math metal. Energetic and quite catchy.

14.11.2018 - 20:15
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Dark Descent continues to release some of most nastiest, sludgiest and organic death metal around. Really sounds like a lot similar and almost as a companion album to the label's incredible Hyperdontia album just earlier this year.

Sulphurous

14.11.2018 - 23:33
Mercurial
New Myrkur EP, for those that can't get enough of her.

Myrkur

Rather excellent Polish black metal. Has an old school vibe but is far more modern and varied than first appears.

Angrrsth

Some solid stuff so I can clear out my tabs:

Some actually pretty great sounding moody, atmospheric rock.

Drift Into Black

Very cool progressive metalcore, from Russia (seriously the most burgeoning location for metal these days).

IRRITA

Upcoming doom death from the UK.

The Crawling

More solid Polish black. A mix of old and new in sound.

Czort

Dutch, instrumental djenty prog. Didn't really expect this kind of thing from there.

Mendel

Bonus, awesome rumbling death industrial / dark ambient / pure fucking creepfest, that I'm too lazy to put in the non-metal thread.

Many Blessings
15.11.2018 - 23:47
Mercurial
Found the Russian Xasthur (actually really good though). Even the logo is kind of a rip-off.

Истина
16.11.2018 - 02:27
tominator
At best deranged
contributor
Progressive death metal/black metal from France. Nice debut album imo. I really like the songs "Reversed Evolution" and "Ubik".
16.11.2018 - 12:41
Mercurial
Exceptionally evil and unknowable black / death metal, that sounds like an expansion to BaN's 'Liber' EPs. I love their sound; it runs the gamut of cavernous death metal as well as highly dissonant black metal, but thankfully not mindlessly so, as there's moments of weird, Blut aus Nord-ian melodies (most notably track 4) and eerie quieter lulls. Great stuff, they did an amazing job creating a swirling atmosphere here.

HWWAUOCH

And another excellent release on Amor Fatti, this being the sequel to To Call, To Speak released last year. Two very lengthy black metal compositions that could be described as moderately dissonant Darkspace-esque. Murky, latent-synths swirl beneath ambient, cosmic black metal. Let yourself fall into the black hole.

Voidsphere
17.11.2018 - 02:17
tominator
At best deranged
contributor
Melodic death metal/melodic doom metal from Greece. Came out at the beginning of this year. Just like the last album I posted in this thread, this is also a debut album.
17.11.2018 - 20:25
Mercurial
One of the best "post" things I've heard in a while. I guess you could call it post-black metal at points, but it doesn't really feel like it overall, mostly owing to the pace. Feels like something like Deathspell Omega distilled down into a pure avant-garde post-metal album. Very technical, often Virus-like, but there's so much space and freedom in their sound which gives it a really unique, and distinctly ominous, atmosphere. Absolute must listen for post-metal fans that want something different, or fans of dissonant black metal that want a slow and bleak experience.

GORYCZ

I really need to clear some tabs:

Pretty great, almost industrial feeling, black / death dissonant niceness.

Night Quill

Yet another two-long-song Darkspace alike on Amor Fati.

Arkhtinn

Legit good sludge with some alternative elements. Feels better than a lot of the similar ilk.

Tyrannosaurus Globi

Very nice atmospheric, instrumental prog.

Artem Dolotov

Disgusting cavernous death.

Disgusted Geist

Belgian black. Actually pretty good songwriting, if not original or anything.

Seethr

Solid female fronted heavy doom.

Smoulder

Upcoming sick, filthy grind.

NEKROFILTH

Very nice, no-frills death metal.

Supreme Carnage

More putrid cavernous grind.

MISRULE

Ancst have released a whole bunch of record this year, all varying genres. This one is a fairly chilled ambient drone record.

Ancst

And an upcoming Acid Mothers Temple record, for psychedelic wickedness.

Acid Mothers Temple
19.11.2018 - 15:43
Mercurial
Kind of extremely badass death metal. Atypical structures, technical musicianship. old-school production, left-field melodies and soloing, moments of progressive interluding and integration. Definitely a good one. Bandcamp only has samples but the full thing is on Youtube.

Timecode
Full Youtube album here

Absolutely brilliant old-school black / thrash / death that somehow has a psychedelic atmosphere. Seriously masterful.

Reversed

New Comatose Vigil track from the Russian spacey-synth funeral doomers. Probably won't be as good as the new Monolithe but still fine music.

Comatose Vigil

Massively expansive, cosmic blackened doom / drone. I thought their sound was a bit thin at first but after a bit I totally got what they were going for. Absolutely great.

New Eagle Twin is some top-notch feedback laden sludge. Gritty, heavy and almost improv in approach.

Eagle Twin

Hard to describe this so I'll defer to one of the reviewers: Sounds like Protest the Hero meets Tool meets early/mid period Mastodon riffs mixed with mid/late period Mastodon solos.

Astrakhan

Surprisingly good tech-death with pleasing production that isn't as clean as a surgeon's knife.

Apophys

Old-school, pretty cavernous black / death. Yep, it's one of those.

Of Feather and Bone

Not sure how much to my taste this is, but it's a good fusion of black and death metal with folk music. Definitely an audience for this.

Sectorial

Pretty yet restrained blackgaze. Nice palette of sounds, and obviously great art by that guy.

Message In a Cloud
19.11.2018 - 18:42
3rdWorld
China was a neat
This sounds monumental and monolithic. Depressive post-doom from the Aussies. Excellent band name too.

Dirac Sea

Weirdly uplifting and melodic death doom. Nice paradox of an album and truly a fresh listen.

Transir

20.11.2018 - 01:44
ZÖN
A Patient Man is by Cult Leader is next level. I thought Lightless Walk was okay enough, kinda overhyped imo, but the new one is transcendent as far as that kind of music goes. The mathcore is insanely off the wall then the dirging suites come into play and overall it's just the fuck.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/templeruins

https://ququmatz.bandcamp.com/releases Progressive/experimental black metal
https://znmusic.bandcamp.com/ Avant-garde drone metal, ambient, noise
https://noosefiller.bandcamp.com/ Experimental raw black metal/noise
21.11.2018 - 15:35
Mercurial
Wicked Dutch, blackened punk that reminds me a tad of Ildjarn, which makes me question whether or not Ildjarn were just nature punk all along.

invunche
21.11.2018 - 19:43
3rdWorld
China was a neat
New Death Karma sounds the right kind of ethnic, folk-ish and progressive death the album title suggests.

22.11.2018 - 13:11
Mercurial
Comprised of members and ex-members of a bunch of bands I'm mostly unfamiliar with, except The Great Old Ones, this is some rather pleasing dissonant post-hardcore laden black metal. Angular and atonal, but also adopting some good post-atmospherics.

Demande à la poussière
22.11.2018 - 18:09
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Moloch from UK make the right kind of modern sludge doom. Loved their split with Cloud rat last year which was a part of a series of 3 masterpiece split records from Cloud rat.

23.11.2018 - 01:26
Mercurial
New Meads EP out.

The Meads of Asphodel
25.11.2018 - 02:22
tominator
At best deranged
contributor
Stoner metal from Argentina. Some really nice riffs in this one.

27.11.2018 - 00:56
Mercurial
Damn sick, ambient / avant-garde / industrial black metal.

27.11.2018 - 02:40
tominator
At best deranged
contributor
Solid technical death metal from the USA.
27.11.2018 - 13:10
tominator
At best deranged
contributor
Instrumental/psychedelic metal/stoner metal from The Netherlands. Relly liked this record, one of the best instrumental albums I've heard this year.
27.11.2018 - 13:20
Mercurial
Heavy sludge is heavy.

ORYX
28.11.2018 - 14:11
Mercurial
Pretty incredibly sounding doom-gaze with serene female vocals.

Absolutely herrifying sludge.

Chained to the Bottom of the Ocean
30.11.2018 - 12:45
Mercurial
Full new Cosmic Atrophy out now. Very nice Demilich-inspired death metal.

Cosmic Atrophy
01.12.2018 - 04:21
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Forgotten Tomb's leader in conspiracy with members of sludge/funeral doom band Malasangre and Psychodelic Drone Viscera release their debut featuring just 3 songs and 40 minutes of music. You can expect extreme sludge that borders with funeral doom. It's also worth noting that this is one of the best things Herr Morbid has done in recent years. Extremely recommended.

Formalist
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
01.12.2018 - 13:29
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Unhealer on 09.10.2018 at 06:12

Black metal people, don't you dare let the year end without listening to this one.
http://psicosfera.bandcamp.com/album/beta

This slipped under my radar. I really like how it unfolds its details with every subsequent listen and how trippy and psychedelic it can get (sort of like Oranssi meets Schammasch). And on top of that, it has one of the most impressive mixes of the year.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.