Metal Storm logo
Iced Earth - To Re-Record Early Albums

Currently on tour in Europe, U.S. metallers Iced Earth have recently talked about the re-recording of their early albums. In a recent interview, guitarist and band leader Jon Schaffer discussed this idea. The band is going to be re-recording the early catalog because Schaffer doesn't own the master rights and there's no income coming from that. If they redo those records, then everybody in the band will be able to get a royalty in the future.

Regarding the re-recording of some early albums with the band's current lineup, Jon said: "As a fan, do I want Iron Maiden to go back and mess around with The Number Of The Beast or Metallica to change Ride The Lightning or Sabbath to change Black Sabbath? No, I don't, because I love 'em the way they are. But we're gonna dig back in to the catalogue and we're gonna do some re-recording and we're gonna do it with the muscle and the talent that's in the band now. And that's not a dig at anybody, because I've worked with amazing people through my whole career, and everybody's contributed. Even if somebody hasn't necessarily written songs, they're contributing, of course, 'cause they're performing. And those are two separate things. Sometimes the line gets blurred in the artist's mind of the difference between performing and the difference between writing, but there is a big difference. And everybody has done the best that they can through the entire catalogue, and it's great ? there's been contributions from all. So I'm not one to sit back and say that I wrote everything and I do everything, even though people have accused me of that kind of attitude; that's not the case. Am I the chief songwriter? Absolutely. Am I the driving force of this band? Absolutely. And anybody that's worked around it knows that. And if they say anything different, then they're just lying. So it is what it is.

"For whatever reason, this band? I've been married to it since the concept was brewing in my mind when it was? Well, it started off as The Rose, which for a very short-lived time, and then it became Purgatory, and then it was Iced Earth ultimately. And I've been completely married to it, completely committed to it since its inception."

On Schaffer not owning the master rights to Iced Earth's early recordings: "The thing is, man, I will never own the masters for [early Iced Earth albums released through] Century Media unless, all of a sudden, they develop a conscience and say, 'Jon should own his masters.' [Laughs] And believe me, Sony Records did not buy Century Media to start giving artists their rights back. So it's pretty unlikely. And, you know, it's business, and dude, hey, I signed, we all signed it ? the original five guys from the first album, we all signed a very horrible contract. I just finished it. I went and pushed through to the bitter end."

Source: youtube.com
Band profile: Iced Earth
Posted: 15.01.2018 by Bad English

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 19   Visited by: 176 users
15.01.2018 - 15:06
OpethFlames

Curious what early albums he has plans to be re-recorded. I always meant to pick up all Iced Earth's albums sometime. But I have nothing before Something Wicked This Way Comes.
15.01.2018 - 16:15
Lanthros

Yeah typical schaffer there. I wont buy any rerecordings. Theyve done enough of those. Seems to me hes more trying to cut some people out. Probably the century media guys. Hes never hidden his hate for them since they left the label. Hell he was pretty vocal about it when they were still with them.
15.01.2018 - 16:47
tominator
At best deranged
"Regarding the re-recording of some early albums with the band's current lineup, Jon said: "As a fan, do I want Iron Maiden to go back and mess around with The Number Of The Beast or Metallica to change Ride The Lightning or Sabbath to change Black Sabbath? No, I don't, because I love 'em the way they are."

If that's his opinion about those albums then why would he re-record his own? Don't get me wrong I've no problem with when a band wants to re-record an album with their new line-up (especially in the case of having a different singer). But his statement just seems a bit strange and contradicting to me.

I guess the first paragraph explains it a bit but still...
15.01.2018 - 17:23
Lokasenna

I wouldn't object to another "Days of Purgatory", but re-recording... what, six, seven albums with CM?... including their best work? I don't think so.
15.01.2018 - 20:56
The original albums still exist so I could listen to those, probably won't be buying these though unless I have a reason to do so
15.01.2018 - 22:30
skelator

All these albums were fantastically remastered...so yeah...pointless. No money from me.
----
Best Metal Albums of 2023: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9jaZJRBeBw

Best Metal Demos: www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HtsgSQjV44
15.01.2018 - 22:38
KhaosSpell

While I see his point given he will be able to profit royalties from these re-recordings, I personally won't be purchasing them. I like the originals the way they are, and so I will stick with those.
16.01.2018 - 00:07
WorpeX
Made of Metal
I wouldn't mind a re-recording of the first two albums. Apart from the song "Stormrider" I felt the other tracks are very lacking, specifically due to the vocalist at the time. Besides those maybe they could squeeze some life into some of their shit albums like Crucible of Man. Really though, I think i'll always prefer the original. Stu's re-recording of Dante's Inferno was shockingly great, but Matt's will always be better.
16.01.2018 - 13:54
BLIND GUARDIAN

Hello Jari
16.01.2018 - 15:46
BetterThanRaw

Awesome. First day buyer here!
----
Kai Hansen über alles!
16.01.2018 - 22:29
Aries Rising

Written by Lanthros on 15.01.2018 at 16:15

Yeah typical schaffer there. I wont buy any rerecordings. Theyve done enough of those. Seems to me hes more trying to cut some people out. Probably the century media guys. Hes never hidden his hate for them since they left the label. Hell he was pretty vocal about it when they were still with them.

Iced Earth is still signed to Century Media. Have been since 2010.
17.01.2018 - 04:18
Novas

Although Stu Block is a great vocalist, I think if they are re-recording all songs from "Iced Earth" to "Horror Show", they would sell alot better with Matt Barlow as a guest studio vocalist, in my opinion, especially with their modern sound. It would pleasure the fans more. Barlow was the reason why this band made me a metalhead years ago. Definitely will be the better option, money-wise. But I'll still enjoy the re-recordings nevertheless, cuz I'm a sucker for that. It shows how evolved/matured the band has grown over their younger years. Not always a bad thing.
17.01.2018 - 04:28
Novas

Written by Aries Rising on 16.01.2018 at 22:29

He was signed to Century Media since they started as a band. And he just noted that his contract was up. CM reamed the band's ass from the start, especially after Sony Records bought them. Sony Records screwed every band under CM, and other labels. Like he said, it's all business.
17.01.2018 - 04:33
Novas

He was signed to Century Media since they started as a band. And he just noted that his contract was up. CM reamed the band's ass from the start, especially after Sony Records bought them. Sony Records screwed every band under CM, and other labels. Like he said, it's all business.
17.01.2018 - 04:34
Novas

Novas

Novas

18.01.2018 - 03:47
kingeryck

I wish they would've done that with Ripper or Matt behind the mic. Not a huge fan of Stu.
03.03.2018 - 15:44
BloodFireDeath

Its funny because when I first heard this I was like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" but then when I read the reason I was like "hmmm ok thats a good reason" lol
----
Goodspeed on the Devils Thunder

Hits total: 3710 | This month: 2