Metal Storm logo
Fugazi

24.05.2006 - 19:47
Daibh
Account deleted
Well; second only to the Dead Kennedys, I consider Fugazi to be the single greatest punk band of all time. They had the sound -which was, for the time- utterly revolutionary in itself; and they had the lyrics -as poetic, as they were straight to the point. The diversity and creativity that all four members brought to the scene was so astounding, that I still can't believe it or it's impact now.

So without further ado, he is an interesting article from the net, which provides a nice intro to the band:

"Fugazi is a rock music group from Washington, D.C., formed in 1987 (see 1987 in music). They are one of the most influential bands in independent music and are ranked number 95 on VH1's "100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock".

The band name alludes to a Vietnam-era GI slang acronym for a particularly bad combat situation, which stands for "Fucked Up, Got Ambushed, Zipped In". In Our Band Could Be Your Life, the group reported that they chose the name because of its ambiguous and vaguely exotic qualities.

Perhaps just as well known as Fugazi's music is their ethical stance and manner of business practice. They stand as a rare example of a band that have achieved a level of mainstream success while remaining loyal to independent recording and distribution values, following through in the spirit of the original "DIY punk ethic". They have rarely charged more than $5-10 admission to their live shows (and furthermore insist that their performances be open to persons of all ages; MacKaye in particular remembers the sting of being kept out of clubs during his teen years), have kept their album prices at about $10, and do not sell merchandise such as t-shirts or posters. In addition, the band has claimed that they will not conduct interviews with magazines featuring alcohol and nicotine advertisements.

All Fugazi's albums have been released by Dischord Records, co-owned by MacKaye and former Minor Threat bandmate Jeff Nelson"

And a bit on the history of the band:

"After the seminal hardcore punk group Minor Threat dissolved, Ian MacKaye (vocals and guitar) was active with a few mostly short-lived groups, (notably early emo-core band Embrace) before forming a new trio, Fugazi, with drummer Colin Sears and bass guitarist Joe Lally. Sears eventually left to form Dag Nasty and was replaced by Brendan Canty (earlier of Rites of Spring.)

MacKaye describes his earliest vision Fugazi as The Stooges playing reggae. They performed as a trio for some months, then added Guy Picciotto (earlier Canty's bandmate in Rites of Spring, Happy Go Licky, and One Last Wish). Picciotto originally only sang; he likened his role for the first two years to that of a toaster, and Azzerad notes that Picciotto was also inspired by Flavor Flav of Public Enemy. He eventually incorporated his guitar playing into the quartet, however.

Fugazi blend elements of punk rock, hardcore soul and noise with an inventively syncopated rhythm section often steeped in dub or reggae influence. Notable is MacKaye and Picciotto's inventive, interlocking guitar playing, which often defies the traditional notion of "lead" and "rhythm" guitars. They often feature unusual and dissonant chords and progressions, sometimes reminiscent of the Tom Verlaine/Richard Lloyd pairing from Television, though filtered through a hardcore punk lens. Most of their albums have featured an instrumental song or two.

Generally, MacKaye's lyrics and singing are more direct and anthemic (MacKaye admits that he loves audience sing-alongs and writes songs with shoutable slogans), while Picciotto usually favors a more abstract, oblique approach. Lally has contributed vocals to a few songs as well. Lyrics and vocals often feature strong emotional intensity. This style has led many critics to call their music post-hardcore and emocore, as it is seen as a progression of and a reaction to the hardcore punk movement.

Fugazi's unusual experimental sound influenced some later punk music groups, and has proven difficult to categorize neatly; they've been classified as post punk and post-hardcore. Though clearly rooted in punk and hardcore, there is arguably much more than punk to be found in Fugazi's music; for example, a review of The Argument compared a few songs to Radiohead. With Red Medicine, critics Ian McCaleb and Ira Robbins declared that Fugazi combined an "unprecedented dynamic range ... and previously unimagined elements" such as "clattering musique concrète ... piano and sound effects ... murky dub and lancing sax" and "loose-limbed jammy funk ... into an ambitious, experimental format that raises more stylistic questions than it answers."

Fugazi's career is chronicled in Our Band Could Be Your Life, a study of several important American underground rock groups. Mark Andersen and Mark Jenkins' book Dance of Days: Two Decades of Punk in the Nation's Capital also covers Fugazi -- and its contributing members' bands -- at length.

Fugazi are currently on what the band describes as a "hiatus," partly brought on by the recent forays into fatherhood by Canty and Lally, and may or may not reunite in the future. They recently released thirty unmixed live shows that are available for sale exclusively at www.fugaziliveseries.com. In the meantime, the members are undertaking side projects, with MacKaye forming the duo The Evens with Amy Farina (formerly of the Warmers), and Canty doing a variety of soundtrack scores and playing bass in the trio Garland Of Hours alongside frequent Fugazi guest contributors Jerry Busher and Amy Domingues. Canty also appears on Bob Mould's 2005 Album Body of Song, and has played bass live with Mary Timony. Lally has appeared on fellow DC post-punkers Decahedron's debut album Disconnection_Imminent, as well as on a project with John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Josh Klinghoffer of The Bicycle Thief known as Ataxia. Guy Picciotto currently works as a record producer most notably with Blonde Redhead, and he has performed alongside members of The Ex at the Jazz festival in Wels, Austria"

Cheers.
25.05.2006 - 01:47
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Fugazi and Minor Threat are pretty much the only punk bands I like. I have a lot of respect for them because of the meanings behind their songs and the fact that they don't do it for the money.
25.05.2006 - 16:28
Daibh
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 25.05.2006 at 01:47

Fugazi and Minor Threat are pretty much the only punk bands I like. I have a lot of respect for them because of the meanings behind their songs and the fact that they don't do it for the money.

Have you ever heard Rites of Spring? If not, I would prompt you to give them a try You wil be impressed.
17.06.2006 - 18:57
MigraineBoy

Fugazi is the perfect example of creativity and well-done music, even in a short-range genre.

I think they are the only band in the world to achieve the mith of "we're not here for the money"
----
Is only wrong if you don't get it!
18.02.2007 - 20:49
piggy
Account deleted
*myth

Yeah, Ian Mackaye is my friggin idol.
18.02.2007 - 20:58
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 26.05.2006 at 00:57

No, I haven't heard them. I really don't like punk, but I'll check them out sometime.

you probably will like them....seeing how it's Guy Picottio from Fugazi's Old Band

and Fugazi define DIY ideals....kinda bullshit how Nike Pulled that shit...where after Ian Mckaye Told them to go fuck themselves with them using the Famous "Ian sitting on the steps" Photo,Nike went ahead and made a similiar pic for an ad for their skateboarding Tour
19.02.2007 - 02:54
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
1 2 3 Repeater!

uhh, yeah. I checked out Rites of Spring. Not bad at all

Dare I say that I might like it more than Fugazi? I dunno....
23.02.2007 - 06:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 18.02.2007 at 20:58

No, I haven't heard them. I really don't like punk, but I'll check them out sometime.

you probably will like them....seeing how it's Guy Picottio from Fugazi's Old Band

and Fugazi define DIY ideals....kinda bullshit how Nike Pulled that shit...where after Ian Mckaye Told them to go fuck themselves with them using the Famous "Ian sitting on the steps" Photo,Nike went ahead and made a similiar pic for an ad for their skateboarding Tour

Are you sure that was Ian sitting on the steps. I always heard, and therefore thought, that it was his brother or some other relative. Btw, I am guessing you are talking about that Minor Threat cover with the guy sitting there with his head in his arms.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.02.2007 - 06:27
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.02.2007 at 06:22

Are you sure that was Ian sitting on the steps. I always heard, and therefore thought, that it was his brother or some other relative. Btw, I am guessing you are talking about that Minor Threat cover with the guy sitting there with his head in his arms.

yeah i am...its one of the most iconic album covers/photos in Punk/hardcore and yeah i'm pretty sure its ian....the one Nike used was someone else mimicking it...or so i read
23.02.2007 - 06:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 23.02.2007 at 06:27

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.02.2007 at 06:22

yeah i am...its one of the most iconic album covers/photos in Punk/hardcore and yeah i'm pretty sure its ian....the one Nike used was someone else mimicking it...or so i read

Yeah I heard that story about Nike too. I think it was in the last Terrorizer where that cover was featured as one of the best covers ever, and there it said it was his brother/relative, and they also printed the story about NIke and that Ian told them to fuck off.
But at times Ian is a bit weird. He accused Slayer of turning Guilty Of Being White into a White Power anthem (or something along those lines) because SLayer covered it on their Undisputed Attitude covers compilation. Butjust looking at the title of the song might make anyone think it is a white power anthem anyways, no matter who plays the song.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.02.2007 - 06:50
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Well, I heard that Ian's issue with Slayer's version is at the very end, where Tom changes the lyrics to "Guilty of being right" or something like that. I think it's pretty silly for people to think that Slayer's version is racist, since Tom isn't white lol.
23.02.2007 - 07:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Dangerboner on 23.02.2007 at 06:50

Well, I heard that Ian's issue with Slayer's version is at the very end, where Tom changes the lyrics to "Guilty of being right" or something like that. I think it's pretty silly for people to think that Slayer's version is racist, since Tom isn't white lol.

I can't remember him changing the lyrics, but I'll check when I get home.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.02.2007 - 07:08
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
not to mention Jeff Hanneman is Jewish from what i've its stupid how everyone thinks slayer is racist...and Marcel..."guilty of being white"...is more about how being white is more of a burden because what the whiteman has done to other cultures in the Past...either way people just need to stop being sooo fucking PC...and stop worrying about what everyone else thinks...live your own life
23.02.2007 - 07:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 23.02.2007 at 07:08

not to mention Jeff Hanneman is Jewish from what i've its stupid how everyone thinks slayer is racist...and Marcel..."guilty of being white"...is more about how being white is more of a burden because what the whiteman has done to other cultures in the Past...either way people just need to stop being sooo fucking PC...and stop worrying about what everyone else thinks...live your own life

I know what it is about What I am saying is that when people just see the song title and not read the lyrics they might get misinformed.

Oh SHIT...

I see we're getting way off topic since this thread is about Fugazi and not Minor Threat. Oops, a mod goes off topic, I'd better spank myself.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.02.2007 - 08:07
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.02.2007 at 07:11

Written by Guest on 23.02.2007 at 07:08

I know what it is about What I am saying is that when people just see the song title and not read the lyrics they might get misinformed.

Oh SHIT...

I see we're getting way off topic since this thread is about Fugazi and not Minor Threat. Oops, a mod goes off topic, I'd better spank myself.

uh oh..you might get banned for making a petty mistake...though it's not really all that much off topic in the first place seeing how its Ian Mckaye's art...not like we're talking Henry rollins
on here

and i just assumed that you thought that yourself... but i know what you mean with the song title...it does give people that assumption...i've actually met people in real life that thought Ian was a Nazi because of it
06.01.2013 - 22:23
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Ran through a lot of their discog awhile ago, really loved it.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS