Metal Storm logo
2017 Metal Storm Awards Open For Voting

The 2017 Edition of the Metal Storm Awards are now open and ready for voting. You can do so here. Of course, in the time I took in between launching the awards and typing up this message and linking it up, half of you have already shot your respective voting wads.

Get to it, tell us what we did right, what we missed.

And be sure to check everything out.
Posted: 01.02.2018 by BitterCOld

Comments page 2 / 5

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 136   Visited by: 754 users
01.02.2018 - 19:11
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by alexandrudonciu on 01.02.2018 at 18:55

You are right about Watain. But there are still 4 very important black metal albums nominees missing.

To go all Big Lebowski, "well, that's just your opinion, man."

I think the term "important", let alone prefixing with "very" is laughable. I liked DSKNT, the others, meh. They were good. But we as a collective didn't like them as much as the releases that made the cut.

Opinions vary.

I am working on a list now of 20 albums I really enjoyed that didn't make the cut. That's the way it goes.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.02.2018 - 19:31
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Written by Maco on 01.02.2018 at 18:20

Listening and enjoying a lot of the prog nominees and I'm starting to think that I might be a proghead, don't know if it's good or bad though lol. :p

The new Voyager album is so fucking good, but I haven't listened to the other Prog albums yet. I'll need to give them a listen!
01.02.2018 - 19:44
MetalManic

Written by IBlackened on 01.02.2018 at 15:59

Written by MetalManic on 01.02.2018 at 02:26

We all know the winner of 'Drama of the Year'.

Wintersun's crowdfunding or Decapitated rape charges?

No doubt Decapitated
01.02.2018 - 20:27
Zap
The first year in a long time where I hadn't listened to all of the black metal picks before the nominees were announced. And, after catching up on the remaining ones, also the first year where none of the albums mentioned wowed me. I guess I'm losing interest in the genre. My vote will most likely go to The Great Old Ones, though their previous albums were better... Or maybe Chaos Moon was a tad more fresh, I'll have to give that one another spin.

On another note, extreme doom was very strong this year, although I'm absolutely certain who will win by like 50% of the votes. Mark my words.
01.02.2018 - 20:50
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Zap on 01.02.2018 at 20:27

On another note, extreme doom was very strong this year, although I'm absolutely certain who will win by like 50% of the votes. Mark my words.

Yes, Descend Into Despair will sweep like crazy
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
01.02.2018 - 21:55
Zap
Exactly.
02.02.2018 - 00:55
nikarg

Voting will last until the end of February. That's more than enough time to listen to the nominated records, at least in the genres you like. It's pretty disappointing to see people voting band names instead of albums. I mean, we spent months to come up with these nominations and write these shorts texts to describe them, it's not too hard to listen to some of them before voting. As it has been said a zillion times before, the MSAs are about discovering new music and not about big bands winning their respective categories.
02.02.2018 - 01:53
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by nikarg on 01.02.2018 at 00:29

The people who selected the nominees are clearly clueless

The nominees that you had a hand in selecting?
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
02.02.2018 - 01:56
nikarg

Written by Auntie Sahar on 02.02.2018 at 01:53

The nominees that you had a hand in selecting?

Yeah, I just thought the first comment should reflect the thoughts of most of our users so that we can be over and done with that
02.02.2018 - 08:53
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Tiago Rocha on 01.02.2018 at 18:49

I just wanna know who's the hot chick on the banner...

I think it's D.T. Metal.
02.02.2018 - 11:19
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Checking where some potential write-ins should go. Should Dreadnought's A Wake In Sacred Waves go in folk or prog? Is Keldian's Darkness And Light heavy or power? Ixion's Return doom ( I saw it written into extreme doom, so just checking)? Eldamar's A dark Forgotten Past and Dreadrealm's Essence Of Winter both melodic black? Avatarium's Hurricanes And Halos doom? Wintersun's The Forest Seasons symphonic, folk or power?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
02.02.2018 - 11:54
Paz
Nuclear Cowboy
Great work as always! I am sorry that I wasn't able to help you
02.02.2018 - 12:20
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by MetalManic on 01.02.2018 at 19:44

Written by IBlackened on 01.02.2018 at 15:59

Written by MetalManic on 01.02.2018 at 02:26

We all know the winner of 'Drama of the Year'.

Wintersun's crowdfunding or Decapitated rape charges?

No doubt Decapitated

Ghost - Deteriora was pretty interesting as well.
02.02.2018 - 12:54
Mercurial

Surprised Bathsheba and Tchornobog didn't make the cut (though the doom cat was stronger than other years but Tchornobog could have made death or black easily), but still a few missed things to check out.

Would have been cool to see Wreche make it on here somewhere, think people would really dig how compelling and unusual that band is.
02.02.2018 - 13:10
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Holy shit, Joe is back.
02.02.2018 - 13:27
Zap
Written by Mercurial on 02.02.2018 at 12:54

Surprised Bathsheba and Tchornobog didn't make the cut (though the doom cat was stronger than other years but Tchornobog could have made death or black easily), but still a few missed things to check out.

I saw Tchornobog in a category. Can't remember which one though. And Bathsheba is surprising indeed, saw it being fairly hyped everywhere.
02.02.2018 - 13:32
Mercurial

Written by Zap on 02.02.2018 at 13:27

I saw Tchornobog in a category. Can't remember which one though. And Bathsheba is surprising indeed, saw it being fairly hyped everywhere.

Oh yeah, best debut. Better than nothing I suppose.
02.02.2018 - 14:30
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by M C Vice on 02.02.2018 at 11:19

Checking where some potential write-ins should go. Should Dreadnought's A Wake In Sacred Waves go in folk or prog? Is Keldian's Darkness And Light heavy or power? Ixion's Return doom ( I saw it written into extreme doom, so just checking)? Eldamar's A dark Forgotten Past and Dreadrealm's Essence Of Winter both melodic black? Avatarium's Hurricanes And Halos doom? Wintersun's The Forest Seasons symphonic, folk or power?

If it were me I'd put Dreadnought in prog, Keldian in power (we considered it for power), Ixion for doom (same), Avatarium for doom (same, and almost made it!), and we considered Wintersun for melodeath/extreme power, and there's 11 write-ins for it there already. Haven't listened to the other bands, sorry.

Just a heads up for other write-in questions, if you're having doubts check where they'd been nom'd previously, check what genre they're listed at on MS and you'll 99% put them in the right place!
----
7.0 means the album is good
02.02.2018 - 15:54
nikarg

Eldamar's A dark Forgotten Past and Dreadrealm's Essence Of Winter both melodic black?

Yes, both meloblack but there is an ocean of quality separating them.
02.02.2018 - 16:52
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
I think at this point I'll start up a "where do I write in" thread so we can put it together all nice and neat.

as well as provide some ground rules, such as:

When writing an album in, please use the band name and album title as they appear in the MS database. Copy paste it.

MC Vice was asking about bad write in's, we've got Mastodon in multiple categories with the freaking album name wrong in multiple categories now.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
02.02.2018 - 17:38
RaduP
CertifiedHipster

Dreadnought in prog, Keldian in heavy, Ixion in extreme doom, Eldamar and Dreamrealm meloblack, Avatarium doom, Wintersun letdown
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
02.02.2018 - 18:07
Maco
Pvt Funderground
My vote went to Enslaved for extreme prog in the end. But you should check Cormorant if you didn't, it's a very good album in its own right.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
02.02.2018 - 22:31
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Oh no. I missed the fuzz. I was too busy yesterday sunbathing on this amazing beach here. Too bad for me

Besides there wasn't a fuzz yet as I can see from the comments... Where are the guys "band x goes to category y" "why isn't record z here" "staff sucks" and etcetera?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
02.02.2018 - 22:45
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by nikarg on 02.02.2018 at 00:55

Voting will last until the end of February. That's more than enough time to listen to the nominated records, at least in the genres you like. It's pretty disappointing to see people voting band names instead of albums. I mean, we spent months to come up with these nominations and write these shorts texts to describe them, it's not too hard to listen to some of them before voting. As it has been said a zillion times before, the MSAs are about discovering new music and not about big bands winning their respective categories.

Welcome to the MSAs lol. It hurts a little and then you get used to it
----
7.0 means the album is good
02.02.2018 - 22:51
IBlackened

I voted for The Forest Seasons in the biggest surprise category, that is: I'm surprised Wintersun actually released something, but I suspect that's not how it works. Anyway, I also voted for it as biggest letdown. That album is really "meh".
----
Their old stuff is better.
03.02.2018 - 01:07
fandango68

I've been listening to 'End Of The Dream' nominated in Symph on Yt for the first time... my goodness, these guys are good... not heard a bad track yet!!
----
First gig was Manowar (loincloths 'n' all), Bristol Colston Hall in March 1983, on the 'Hail to England' tour. Tickets were £3.75, 300 in the audience, Mercyful Fate never showed, but my hearing still got seriously trashed..
03.02.2018 - 03:53
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 02.02.2018 at 13:10

Holy shit, Joe is back.

backwards
----
03.02.2018 - 06:08
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by M C Vice on 03.02.2018 at 03:53

Holy shit, Joe is back.

backwards

.back is Joe ,shit Holy
03.02.2018 - 08:03
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
I think i'll go with Melina over Radu and put Ixion down in Doom. Hard choice now for meloblack, although it's like that every year. Battle Beast and Beast In Black being split up makes it easier, don't have to try and choose between them.

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 03.02.2018 at 06:08

Written by M C Vice on 03.02.2018 at 03:53

Holy shit, Joe is back.

backwards

.back is Joe ,shit Holy

.kcab si eoJ ,this yloH
----
03.02.2018 - 08:21
Aries Rising

Can't decide between Voyager and Caligula's Horse for prog aoty, both SOOOO GOOOD! Looking over this list reminds me of how fucking good 2017 was for metal music.

Hits total: 8409 | This month: 22