Metal Storm logo
2017 Metal Storm Awards Open For Voting

The 2017 Edition of the Metal Storm Awards are now open and ready for voting. You can do so here. Of course, in the time I took in between launching the awards and typing up this message and linking it up, half of you have already shot your respective voting wads.

Get to it, tell us what we did right, what we missed.

And be sure to check everything out.
Posted: 01.02.2018 by BitterCOld

Comments page 4 / 5

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 136   Visited by: 754 users
06.02.2018 - 12:48
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
So.. Mastodon didn't make it to the nominees?
06.02.2018 - 13:08
Risto
Wandering Midget
The bandcamp player for the Duskmourn album links to their 2014 release Legends.
06.02.2018 - 14:39
MetalEyez

And am here just to post a Comment
06.02.2018 - 19:29
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Fallen Ghost on 06.02.2018 at 12:48

Of course not
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
06.02.2018 - 20:01
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Written by RaduP on 06.02.2018 at 19:29

Of course not

Tell me what part is self explaining here 😂
06.02.2018 - 20:35
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Fallen Ghost on 06.02.2018 at 20:01

Tell me what part is self explaining here 😂

Several staff members appear to find Emperor of Sand rather mediocre, so I'm not even surprised. Apparently it was a busy year in the stoner/sludge department because the staff missed Dvne.
06.02.2018 - 22:47
Maco
Pvt Funderground
I'm gonna start bitching and ask why was Infernal Majesty's last album not nominated instead of Tankard's? :c
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
07.02.2018 - 00:19
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Written by Risto on 06.02.2018 at 20:35

Several staff members appear to find Emperor of Sand rather mediocre, so I'm not even surprised. Apparently it was a busy year in the stoner/sludge department because the staff missed Dvne.

I see! Oh well, I'm gonna stop bitching about it, the fun part is to find new stuff to listen to anyways
07.02.2018 - 16:26
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Maco on 06.02.2018 at 22:47

I'm gonna start bitching and ask why was Infernal Majesty's last album not nominated instead of Tankard's? :c

Not a lot of staff members care about the thrash category as compared some others. Honestly I'd prefer pretty much any album in favor of Tankard's
----
07.02.2018 - 19:47
BitterCOld
The Ancient One

Nope. Did not. I think I liked it more than most staffers, but even then there were some 12-15 stoner/sludge albums released last year that I enjoyed a lot more. Some made the MSA's, most are on a list I compiled with 20 albums I really liked that didn't make the cut.

Some genres some years are thin, some genres were overflowing with decent nominees.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
08.02.2018 - 03:43
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

Okay I'm sorry to bitch a second time about this... but seriously how the hell does Pyramaze not get nom'd in power metal, while the new Nocturnal Rites - arguably the most bland and generic power metal album I've ever heard - does? Absolutely blows my mind.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
08.02.2018 - 11:20
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 08.02.2018 at 03:43

Okay I'm sorry to bitch a second time about this... but seriously how the hell does Pyramaze not get nom'd in power metal, while the new Nocturnal Rites - arguably the most bland and generic power metal album I've ever heard - does? Absolutely blows my mind.

You are of course free to bitch as many times as you like. But please bear in mind that your taste in music doesn't necessarily have to align with the tastes of those who prepared the list of nominees.
09.02.2018 - 01:44
Druss

Glad I decided to try some of the write-ins for Heavy / Melodic, that Satan's Hallow album is a seriously good album, better than anything in the running imo. A thought on that, can a band that isn't even featured in the site's database win an award? Or are those votes wiped?
09.02.2018 - 02:04
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Druss on 09.02.2018 at 01:44

Glad I decided to try some of the write-ins for Heavy / Melodic, that Satan's Hallow album is a seriously good album, better than anything in the running imo. A thought on that, can a band that isn't even featured in the site's database win an award? Or are those votes wiped?

so far, no write-in vote won in a regular category. And if it ever happens for a band that we don't have in the db, I guess we'll have to add it
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
09.02.2018 - 04:36
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

Written by Daniell on 08.02.2018 at 11:20

You are of course free to bitch as many times as you like. But please bear in mind that your taste in music doesn't necessarily have to align with the tastes of those who prepared the list of nominees.

Of course. But the Nocturnal Rites album, objectively, is extremely generic power metal. There is nothing innovative there. That's my point.
----
09.02.2018 - 09:37
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 09.02.2018 at 04:36

Of course. But the Nocturnal Rites album, objectively, is extremely generic power metal.

Objectivity doesn't exist when it comes to the perception of music.
09.02.2018 - 11:02
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl

Written by Daniell on 08.02.2018 at 11:20

Of course. But the Nocturnal Rites album, objectively, is extremely generic power metal. There is nothing innovative there. That's my point.

Doesn't have to be innovative to be good and/or enjoyable.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
09.02.2018 - 15:20
RaduP
CertifiedHipster

It's power metal, of course it's generic
----
09.02.2018 - 15:24
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by RaduP on 09.02.2018 at 15:20

"You got me there"
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
09.02.2018 - 15:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

I wanted to post the exact same thing, but somehow managed to restrain myself. Good to see someone else say it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.02.2018 - 03:16
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I know I am gonna puke when I see the winners of the post and melodic black and extreme prog cats. Fucking people...
----
rekt
10.02.2018 - 10:32
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

Same statement works with doom, black, symphonic, thrash, death...

Anyway, spare me the "objectivity doesn't exist with art." If you poll 100 people and ask them which is more generic sounding between the two, they will tell you that Nocturnal sounds more generic. And I suppose I'm just surprised that a site that usually crucifies generic sounding power metal would nominate it over an innovative album that scored well and is fairly popular.
----
10.02.2018 - 21:06
chomskeet

Could we please have a tech death category next year, I didn't see a place to vote for Archspire anywhere
10.02.2018 - 22:01
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 10.02.2018 at 10:32

And I suppose I'm just surprised that a site that usually crucifies generic sounding power metal would nominate it over an innovative album that scored well and is fairly popular.

"Innovative" depends on context, but that word can't be attached to Contingent in the bigger picture by any stretch of imagination.
11.02.2018 - 19:59
IBlackened

Anyway, spare me the "objectivity doesn't exist with art." If you poll 100 people and ask them which is more generic sounding between the two, they will tell you that Nocturnal sounds more generic. And I suppose I'm just surprised that a site that usually crucifies generic sounding power metal would nominate it over an innovative album that scored well and is fairly popular.

Wait, let me get this straight... Your argument in favor of objectivity in art is based on the opinion of other people about some piece of art?

"Of course there is objectivity in music. Ask 100 people, they all agree with me".
----
Their old stuff is better.
12.02.2018 - 09:50
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

Written by IBlackened on 11.02.2018 at 19:59

Wait, let me get this straight... Your argument in favor of objectivity in art is based on the opinion of other people about some piece of art?

"Of course there is objectivity in music. Ask 100 people, they all agree with me".

You're over-complicating the matter. In terms of which album is objectively more generic, straight-forward power metal, it's the Nocturnal Rites album. You can agree with that and still think it is the better album, but it is without argument a more generic sounding album,.
----
12.02.2018 - 09:59
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by tea[m]ster on 10.02.2018 at 03:16

I know I am gonna puke when I see the winners of the post and melodic black and extreme prog cats. Fucking people...

Don't blame me. I'm probably only voting in 1 of them and it's a write-in anyway.
Written by chomskeet on 10.02.2018 at 21:06

Could we please have a tech death category next year, I didn't see a place to vote for Archspire anywhere

A write-in in death, maybe?
Someone was asking for that a year or 2 ago. Along with a brutal death category. I think the answer was something along the lines of death shouldn't be split into more than 2 catagories since none of the others (black, power, doom, etc) are.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
12.02.2018 - 11:23
7charly7

HI peope, when will finished voting???? im waiting for result
12.02.2018 - 13:19
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by 7charly7 on 12.02.2018 at 11:23

HI peope, when will finished voting???? im waiting for result

28th Feb.

Result on 1st March.
12.02.2018 - 13:38
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by chomskeet on 10.02.2018 at 21:06

Archspire was considered but didn't make the cut. They released a good album though, I like it

I'd say death metal is a good place to vote for them.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram

Hits total: 8419 | This month: 10