04. Heart Of The Dead
05. Floating
06. Lost In The Dark - And Then Gone
07. Into Deep Sleep
08. Dear Sun

Guest review by
gid
Rating:
I've always felt this album has been overlooked when compared to October Tide's first album "Rain Without End." While that album is absolutely saturated with the same melancholic atmosphere that can be found on Katatonia's early releases, this album presents something more.

What I really love about this album is how uncomfortable it makes me feel. It is laden with dissonance; jarring melodies wind through each song with only very occasional relief. What's more, this dissonance is perfectly executed, so the music doesn't suffer from feeling too chaotic or messy. The effect this produces is incredible: not only does the album carry the same melancholic quality as its predecessor, but it is also very unsettling.

Read more ››
published 28.08.2008 | Comments (1)

Found in 2 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 92 users
14.02.2018 - 09:42
Rating: 9
Iamgubbler

Heart of the Dead is an insanely great track. The guitar work blew my mind the first ten listens. Brain-dead simple, yet innovative. An interesting point that I've found is that the guitar work during the chorus sounds extremely similar to the guitar work during the chorus on the bonus track "Fractured" for Katatonia's "Tonight's Decision". Stranger still, the lyrics are very similar, even repeating certain lines. These were released less than 4 months apart, so it appears Jonas was riding some sort of train of thought.
----
I'm a weed in Hitler's bunker.

Hits total: 5702 | This month: 14