07. Lágyrész
08. Sík
09. Balra A Nap
10. Tenger, Tenger
11. Ének A Búzamezőkről

Staff review by
RaduP
Rating:
Avant-garde should ideally mean not doing the same thing twice. Thy Catafalque did get this memo. After the heavy and epic Meta, we are met with the more lush and diverse Geometria.

Read more ››
published 25.05.2018 | Comments (5)

Found in 23 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 20   Visited by: 522 users
15.02.2018 - 04:42
Rating: 8
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Maybe something as exciting and epic as Sgurr?
03.05.2018 - 14:26
Mercurial

The single sounds like something from Ghost in the Shell. very cool.

05.05.2018 - 01:23
musicalkaratekid

A lot less immediate than "Meta", but at the same time more diverse and experimental I feel. Didn't expect that opening song to be what it was, but it presents a beautiful build-up. The violing usage and female vocal work in this album is wonderful too, never feel like they're shoehorned elements and instead help to expand an already expansive musical vision. Perhaps the album could have been more consistent and fluent without "Hajó" and "Sík", but generally I loved listening to this work. Tamás has done it again.
08.05.2018 - 23:43
traililya

At this time, unfortunately ,nothing special.
09.05.2018 - 11:41
Rating: 9
boo-boo

I think I prefer this one to Meta, seems to work better on me. I find it more experimental, but since Tamás knows his shit, it is somehow more compact and feels like a single unit.
----
World won't end today - it's already tomorrow in Australia.
11.05.2018 - 19:17
PatrickBateman

A lot of it feels like if Thy Catafalque did elevator music, which shouldn't work, but personally I'm enjoying quite a lot
13.05.2018 - 19:49
Spacerunner

I perfer this one over the last two. But one big drawback is the sound that does not change for the last 10 years or so. A musician should evolve not only in terms of musical ideas.
19.05.2018 - 08:40
Rating: 6
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Their weakest sound yet. It truely is just Avante garde music now. No Doom... no Black... just... Avante garde.
It shows some promise in songs, but they just feel weak. I find every second song or so just plain boring.

A shame for me as i've really enjoyed all his work, especially the last 3-4 albums prior.
19.05.2018 - 09:09
Rating: 6
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Written by Spacerunner on 13.05.2018 at 19:49

I perfer this one over the last two. But one big drawback is the sound that does not change for the last 10 years or so. A musician should evolve not only in terms of musical ideas.

I feel every album has changed quite a bit... Meta had a tonne of variety alone.
31.05.2018 - 22:51
Spacerunner

Written by Dark Cornatus on 19.05.2018 at 09:09
I feel every album has changed quite a bit... Meta had a tonne of variety alone.

Sorry I was not clear. I was referring to sound production. Same guitar sound and same programmed drums from album to album. They could be nice for home studio in 2011, but it's 2018 now. The guy's stuck in his comfort zone.
08.06.2018 - 11:35
Sword_Chant

This is my favourite album yet from this band. I've got the last 3 albums but this one imo tops them all, feels like they have really attempted to create new things and I think on this occasion it has really worked. A solid 9/10 from me
12.06.2018 - 06:21
(o> . )

Frist time checking out this project and it's very solid, great ideas and some really strong points on this record, although it has its weak links where I don't feel very engaged. All in al really glad I've stumbled across this, will definitely take a listen to other records to see what they're all about.

(I feel an 8 - 8.4 on this)
02.08.2018 - 20:01
Eternity'sChild

I like this one. Though I think it's sometimes not as catchy as most of his stuff (especially Rengeteg), I like how he still manages to make music that feels fresh, although it's totally sounding like "any other" Thy Catafalque record.
06.10.2018 - 23:44
3rdWorld
China was a neat
After multiple listens, definitely a much better output than the last one. More consistent, nuance, melodies and hooks. One of the most consistent artists of this decade.
06.10.2018 - 23:52
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Mercurial on 03.05.2018 at 14:26

The single sounds like something from Ghost in the Shell. very cool.

Damn yes, especially during the solo vocal parts.
07.10.2018 - 00:27
Mercurial

Written by 3rdWorld on 06.10.2018 at 23:52

Damn yes, especially during the solo vocal parts.

I should really listen to the rest of this.
07.10.2018 - 03:19
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Mercurial on 07.10.2018 at 00:27

I should really listen to the rest of this.

You really should
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
30.11.2018 - 21:35
Reaper_Redeemer

He can't stop releasing excellent albums. A flawless talent this man...
29.08.2019 - 08:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Most people aren't quite sure what to make of Thy Catafalque. It's a solo project comprised of a jumbled amalgamation of melodic and extreme metal elements with folk (think polka), electronica, and orchestral instrumentation. That's a lot to digest and poses a huge risk in terms of what type of audience you're either going to entice or repel, from a musician's standpoint. Nevertheless, the project has done well over the years with its cult following refusing to stray no matter how far it strays from the confines of metal.

Thy Catafalque isn't sure what to make of Thy Catafalque these days either, apparently. Each song is its own entity and while they all play out as unique babies in need of feeding, the lack of overall cohesion across the album is jarring. Songs aren't structured thematically and whatever motifs you might hope for are present for moments at most, before dying a silent death. Listening to this album is like trying to dish out an overall rating for Game of Thrones. How can you judge an entire story with an ending so astronomically awful after experiencing its buildup for years as one of the most iconic series in television history?

There aren't any disastrous parts of this album that lend itself to that kind of personal dilemma, but it should be noted that this disjointed life form of an album is more appropriately considered a compilation of limbs rather than a full-bodied, single-celled organism. It has so many appealing qualities on a song-by-song basis, so you'll always have mood-specific tracks you can pick out depending on where your head is that day, but for those looking to sit back and let themselves be overcome by the relentless waves of a particular sound, you should seek out other waters.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.11.2019 - 17:07
Rating: 10
tintinb

I really didn't believe that Thy Catafalque could repeat the greatness of "Meta" but they did it in this album and I am the happiest listener. I find majority of songs to be an intense mixture of weirdness, melody and devoid of any sort of boredom. The immense creativity shown throughout the album kept me hooked till the climax of the final track: Ének A Búzamezőkről and I couldn't help but grin from ear to ear. The album was definitely on a lighter side than Meta which thankfully didn't discourage me. I will have to keep my eyes (and ears) out for anymore of their releases.
----
Leeches everywhere.

Hits total: 8225 | This month: 35