10. Pyres On The Coast
11. As Mountains Crumble [bonus]
12. Brother And Sister [bonus]
13. Honeyflow [Japanese bonus]

Top 20 albums of 2018: 2
Top 200 albums of all time: 188
Featured in "Getting Into: Amorphis"

Additional info
Produced, recorded and mixed by Jens Borgen at Fascination Street Studios during Winter 2017/18.
Mastered by Tony Lindgren at Fascination Street Studios.
Grand piano and hammond organ recorded at Finnvox Studios.
Church organ recorded at Church of Paavali.
Choirs recorded at Bardo Studios.
Additional percussion, fretless bass, vocal doublings and narration recorded at Moon Unit Studios.
Choirs by Hellscore Choir and orchestra by The Orphaned Land String Orchestra.

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
I love it when an album's intro makes me think I'm about to witness the third season of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

Read more ››
published 13.05.2018 | Comments (25)

Found in 93 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 87   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 1960 users
21.05.2018 - 08:19
Rating: 8
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I just listened to the album for the first time the whole way through and I'm impressed so far! I feel like they've embraced more of the "proggy" aspects of their sound and emphasized them more on certain tracks. Some highlights for me include The Bee, Message in the Amber, Daughter of Hate, Wrong Direction, Heart of the Giant (my favorite so far), Amongst Stars (Anneke sounds great as always), and the bonus track Brother and Sister.

Wrong Direction curiously enough sounds like The Way from Tuonela. When I first heard that track I thought it was a subconscious apology for following "the way" shown by Pasi Koskinen which led to albums like Far From The Sun (which was a bit mediocre) and this is the band acknowledging that they took the "wrong direction" at one point. I am obviously reading way too much into that, but thought it was interesting. lol
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
21.05.2018 - 18:03
InnerSelf
proofread free
Goddamn, this is some good stuff! What's interesting is the increasing presence of the oriental elements, they've been incorporating those since forever but they almost hit Orphaned Land levels this time!
Listening to it nonstop.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
22.05.2018 - 07:12
Rating: 9
Lord Slothrop
I can't believe I've never heard of this band before. Just bought the new album on a whim and love it. Wonderful, beautiful sounds. Looking forward to delving deeper into their catalogue.
22.05.2018 - 16:42
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
Really enjoyed this album. Heart Of The Giant is my favourite but this whole album is really consistent. First whole album I heard of these guys and wasn't disappointed. Great experience!
22.05.2018 - 17:27
The Galactician
I have always been kind of a middle of the road Amorphis fan. I enjoy their releases, but after two or three spins they go back on the shelf until I'm reminded the band exists on the next album.

This release though? It could turn me into a mega fan. The songwriting here is just insanely good.

Looking forward to checking them out live in Seattle in September!
22.05.2018 - 19:43
Rating: 10
Warman
Erotic Stains
The amount of awesome, catchy tunes in this band is just unbelievable.
----
22.05.2018 - 20:24
MeatWolf
Written by tominator on 22.05.2018 at 16:42

Really enjoyed this album. Heart Of The Giant is my favourite but this whole album is really consistent. First whole album I heard of these guys and wasn't disappointed. Great experience!

Blind buy everything at least back to Eclipse.
22.05.2018 - 22:01
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
Written by MeatWolf on 22.05.2018 at 20:24

Blind buy everything at least back to Eclipse.

After what I have listened to, I think that I will definitely pick up some more albums from these guys.
22.05.2018 - 22:38
WorpeX
Made of Metal
On another note, im super disappointed Honeyflow didn't make it to the main release. If you're not in Japan, I highly recommend checking the song out. It's awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6Dcx1KjQ2Y
23.05.2018 - 01:45
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Interesting and fresh album! I think it gets a little boring towards the end, and surprised that it have got such praise as it have done. But when it is good, it is really good! Daughter of Hate slays
23.05.2018 - 11:20
tiny dog ghosts
Amorphis always hide killer tracks in bonuses See "Stone Woman"
23.05.2018 - 15:50
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Written by tiny dog ghosts on 23.05.2018 at 11:20

Yeep. See also, New Song, Illusions, Come the Spring, Separated. Dark Tranquility does this also. I love and hate it at the same time.
23.05.2018 - 16:10
musclassia
Staff
Written by WorpeX on 23.05.2018 at 15:50

Written by tiny dog ghosts on 23.05.2018 at 11:20

Yeep. See also, New Song, Illusions, Come the Spring, Separated. Dark Tranquility does this also. I love and hate it at the same time.

Talking about Amorphis bonus tracks and don't mention Sign? Definitely my favourite of their bonus tracks, although all three from the UTRC sessions (Come The Spring, Winter's Sleep, and The Wind) are fantastic as well. One of the few bands I've made efforts to get digital versions of their various bonus tracks
23.05.2018 - 19:24
jadis40

MeatWolf mentioned blind buying everything back to Eclipse. I'll second that. I'd throw in Tales From the Thousand Lakes, Elegy and Tuonela too for some of their earlier work. Elegy and Tuonela were both with Pasi as lead singer. Tales is their release that was my introduction to the band, and from that point I was hooked.
23.05.2018 - 21:00
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Written by jadis40 on 23.05.2018 at 19:24

MeatWolf mentioned blind buying everything back to Eclipse. I'll second that. I'd throw in Tales From the Thousand Lakes, Elegy and Tuonela too for some of their earlier work. Elegy and Tuonela were both with Pasi as lead singer. Tales is their release that was my introduction to the band, and from that point I was hooked.

I'd personally recommend skipping Tales and Elegy and just get Magic and Mayhem instead. Joutsen does an excellent job and the recording quality is consistent with the current era. Listening to the older albums after starting from their recent work is almost like listening to a completely different band.
23.05.2018 - 23:35
Rating: 7
Redel
Written by WorpeX on 23.05.2018 at 21:00

I'd personally recommend skipping Tales and Elegy and just get Magic and Mayhem instead.

Clearly not!
Tales and Elegy are the band's best work for me, actually by far (though I havent come to listen to Queen of Time yet).
24.05.2018 - 00:03
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Redel on 23.05.2018 at 23:35

Tales and Elegy are the band's best work for me, actually by far

I'm of the newer generation of fans (since Eclipse) and Tales isn't even close to being their best album for me. Elegy is maybe third and that's not taking Queen of Time into account. That said, I wouldn't recommend Magic & Mayhem over Tales because the atmosphere is unique.
24.05.2018 - 00:25
Rating: 7
Redel
Written by Risto on 24.05.2018 at 00:03

I'm of the newer generation of fans (since Eclipse) and Tales isn't even close to being their best album for me.

Thats ok, I respect that.
You know, maybe that is the "bias of time (or is it age?)". Back at the time (1995 or so it was), there was only Tales and the debut. Amorphis was equivalent to Tales for us, and we were so overwhelmed by this album, we hailed it.
Under these circumstances, it is always hard to top an album, I guess. Maybe you will one day make a similar experience.
24.05.2018 - 21:47
Malaclypse
My first exposure to Amorphis was Tuonela back in the nineties and I loved the melding of styles they pulled off on that record. To me this latest outing feels like they took just about all of the elements of their catalogue and made them just stellar in quality, breadth, and well to these ears of mine simply sublime. I cannot wait to see them on their tour this fall with Dark Tranquility and Moonspell!!!!!
25.05.2018 - 06:12
mikeprado30
The tracks I've heard until now have overblown me. This album is a TRUE GEM! Will stand beyond its own time
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
25.05.2018 - 10:41
Therapy?
Impressive how this band manages to improve on itself every single album. No setbacks, only progression. I didn't dare expecting them to top Under The Red Cloud, which at the time also highly impressed me and became an instant favourite. But I'll be damned, they did it again! A perfect blend of heavy and mellow, absolute perfect grunting mixed with haunting cleans. And the guest artists really add flavor to it all, while all the while their "signature" sound is never compromised. This is one of thise albums that I will fondly get back to even years from now, no doubt.

This is, and will definitely remain my favourite album for 2018 by far.
25.05.2018 - 23:59
Rating: 6
I for the life of me have no idea why this site adores Amorphis so highly
26.05.2018 - 14:45
OpenMind
How the fuck they are always so good, i love the fact they surprise me after every album with this insane level of music. God bless them !!!!!!!!
26.05.2018 - 16:46
HyperDrifter
Amorphis never disappoints as usual, very solid album!
27.05.2018 - 20:33
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
I never expected this to surpass UtRC and I'm glad I kept those expectations low. I'm glad they embraced their proggier side because it has made for a truly memorable and enchanting album. Sadly I can't say this is on par with the previous release. For lack of better phrasing, the infectiously catchy melodies - the bones upon which Amorphis build their sound - are simply not in the same abundance as on UtRC. Regardless, I will continue to spam spin this release for the next few weeks. Once again Amorphis have proven themselves once of the most consistent bands in our era.
29.05.2018 - 19:44
Rating: 6
AndreMarcos
I may need to re listen this, but i really don't get what you guys are on about. This seems to be the definition of an average album.
30.05.2018 - 00:04
JÄY
Metal slave
Too much orchestration/symphonic stuff compared to the last release, but still great
01.06.2018 - 13:15
Sojgenske
Didn't enjoy it as much as Red Cloud, but still excellent !
02.06.2018 - 18:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
It was not so good, its like orental mid east bands what plays some kind a folk metal, like Orphaned Land and that kind weird mixture. I don't like such music in whole album. Some songs was good, lyrics was good, but what next, where they go now?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.06.2018 - 23:13
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Album of the year - check. Favorite song is probably The Golden Elk. At this point, Amorphis just can't make a single bad song, their form and creativity in the past 10-15 years is really impressive, I think unpararalled.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets

Hits total: 43981 | This month: 99