05. Defects Of The Isolated Mind
06. Modulate
07. Into The Emission Phase
08. Infected
09. 2nd Sun Ascending
10. Soul Severance
11. Reborn From The Radiance
12. Fallout

Ten years on from having set out to grace our ears with their brand of melodic death metal Detonation sets loose the concept driven Emission Phase upon the world. Concept? I hear people ask. Yes, a concept album by a melodic death metal band. But not to spoil the fun of the upcoming song-by-song of this album I will not delve into the concept any further.
So, what does this third full-length of one of The Netherlands' most criminally underrated bands (somehow the only country where they have anything resembling a certain status is England) bring? First eye-catching difference with An Epic Defiance and Portals To Uphobia is the lack of Niklas Sundin's artwork. For me personally a minor setback since Niklas' work is esteemed by many and is a personal favourite of mine. But admittedly, Eliran Kantor does capture the gloom and doom of the concept well. The difference in the artist employed is the first sign of changes to Detonation's sound and music. Emission Phase is also their first album which is not produced by Hans Pieters. Jochem Jacobs (Textures) and Bouke Visser have done a great job in this area, a heavy yet clear organic sound accentuating the finer details in the music. Jochem Jacobs and Bouke Visser are rapidly becoming household names in the echelons of Dutch producers having also produced Cypher's Darkday Carnival debut and the upcoming debut of Magnacult.
So, what can the listener expect? People familiar with Detonation know that they have never made a secret of their Dark Tranquillity influences. Those are still there but not as omnipresent as before. Detonation is increasingly growing into a sound of their own. The guitar duo, of Koen Romeijn and Mike Ferguson, has always been a great asset to their sound but now they truly have come of age and have really outdone themselves. More varied and inventive riffs, solos and duelling guitars than before. Putting accents in just the right places, thereby imprinting songs into your head for days to come. But with only great guitar work you are still left with a half-baked product. The rhythm section consisting of Thomas Kalksma (drums) and Otto Schimmelpennick (bass) have also shifted up a gear, coming across as more varied and inventive than before, thus providing a solid foundation on which to build.

Where I could somehow just about understand people saying that An Epic Defiance and Portals To Uphobia were a bit monotonous for their liking, such a thing cannot be said about Emission Phase. Twelve varied tracks full of breaks, grooves, intelligible grunts, some clean vocals, brilliant guitar work, driving bass and drums, and all this more technical than ever before. The build up of Emission Phase is also exactly spot on. It flows so organically with Fallout being the perfect ending of the album music wise.
Had Detonation been a Swedish band they would long ago have been heralded as the next big thing in the melodic death metal realm.
Hopefully Emission Phase will finally bring along the recognition Detonation deserves. Forget about the latest Dark Tranquillity, pick up Emission Phase instead. Or, still better yet, pick up both and see who will win that battle hands down. Yes, that's how good Emission Phase is.
What a year for Dutch metal this is shaping up to be, already having seen the releases of Within Temptation and After Forever for the melodic symphonic fans and Non-Divine for the melodic metal fans and after Cypher's promising debut now the new Detonation and in May the debuts by Magnacult and Obsidian for the fans of extreme metal. So what better day than to put the review of what should be one of The Netherland's extreme metal prides on-line than on April 30 (for the uninitiated, April 30 is Queen's Day here in The Netherlands).
In conclusion: Emission Phase is Detonation's most mature, proficient and varied album to date leaving me behind in awe. Weird things will have happened in the eight months to come if Emission Phase hasn't made it into my end of year list for 2007.

Highlights: Guitar work, the songs in general, production.

Standout tracks: Invoking The Impact, When Stone Turns To Ash, Chokedamp, Into The Emission Phase.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by Marcel Hubregtse | 30.04.2007

Comments

Comments: 17   Visited by: 105 users
04.05.2007 - 21:55
Deadsoulman

On first listen, this album kicks I even dare say for the moment I find it better than the newest Dark Tranquillity - take that from a guy whose fav band happens to be DT. Great improvement from the already excellent Portals To Uphobia.
08.05.2007 - 01:40
Chrome54
Account deleted
This album kicks ass, simply put. DT is my favorite Melodic Death band as well, but, while nothing will EVER top Character, this album comes DAMN close, and is certainly better than the still-excellent "Fiction," the most recent DT album. Detonation does it right. I was hoping Arsis would inherit the Melodeath crown, with A Celebration of Guilt and A Diamond For Disease being excellent. However, after the mediocre "United In Regret," my eyes have turned to Detonation to uphold the mantle, and this album proves that they're up to the task.
10.05.2007 - 15:59
Rating: 9
Jeff
Freaky Admin
Now that I got the album, I can confirm your words too...

It's a great album and a classy confirmation
----
Come with us to Hellfest 2011!
10.05.2007 - 16:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Jeff on 10.05.2007 at 15:59

Now that I got the album, I can confirm your words too...

It's a great album and a classy confirmation

Yes, and now go check out the song by song... Koen did a great job commenting onall the songs IMO.

And here i some news taken from the frontpage opf their website:

2007-05-08
Two reviews from Emission Phase online, one on Metalstorm and one on FFM-Rock.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.05.2007 - 16:51
Rating: 9
MetalManic

Written by Guest on 08.05.2007 at 01:40

nothing will EVER top Character

Character is a pretty sweet album. 'Am I 1?' really does it for me!
11.05.2007 - 11:14
The Boogieman
Account deleted
I also really like this album. They are very tallented musicians so I think that they might lead te melodic death metal scene over a few years.
13.05.2007 - 19:48
__Az__

Hmmmm, Im not sure about 'lead' the melodic death genre... But play a big part in it, maybe...
29.11.2007 - 04:11
Aphelion74
Account deleted

This album kicks ass, simply put. DT is my favorite Melodic Death band as well, but, while nothing will EVER top Character...

...this is a good work indeed, no wait, let's say GREAT. I d still trade this entire album for "Inside the Particle Storm" without disturbing "My Negation" or other Character's gems (The New Build?)...that said...i d trade even the old In Flames for Detonation, but i m confident it's just me

Nice review, awesome band
29.11.2007 - 07:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 29.11.2007 at 04:11

This album kicks ass, simply put. DT is my favorite Melodic Death band as well, but, while nothing will EVER top Character...

...this is a good work indeed, no wait, let's say GREAT. I d still trade this entire album for "Inside the Particle Storm" without disturbing "My Negation" or other Character's gems (The New Build?)...that said...i d trade even the old In Flames for Detonation, but i m confident it's just me

Nice review, awesome band

Hahahaha no not just you I would do the same, and I am sure Detonation band members would do it as well

Detonation is my favourite band from my hometown by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar.

And their 10th Anniversary concert on October 26th was AWESOME
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.12.2007 - 18:04
Aphelion74
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.11.2007 at 07:55

Hahahaha no not just you I would do the same, and I am sure Detonation band members would do it as well

Detonation is my favourite band from my hometown by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar.

And their 10th Anniversary concert on October 26th was AWESOME

Oh, you saw em live, it must be so coooool

Out of curiosity, do you know Cipher System? They are quite good, check em out

Cheers
01.12.2007 - 20:20
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
It drags in some points, but it's good overall, especially the first 5 songs.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
02.12.2007 - 15:51
Rating: 6
Sunioj

This album didn't impress me as much 7 from me. ( still good though )
03.02.2008 - 09:32
Epitaph
Account deleted
they are coming to INDIA performing here on the 22nd of FEB.... m/m/
24.02.2008 - 01:57
nightmare07
Account deleted
i saw their performance yesterday(23/2/08) in delhi in NSIT ...i must tell u all that they are all extremely friendly ppl...i got their autographs and took a photo with them...and coming to heir performance....it was simply AMAZING!!!....the thing that stood out for me was the performance and he guitar work...i wont forget this for the rest of my life...
24.02.2008 - 18:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 24.02.2008 at 01:57

i saw their performance yesterday(23/2/08) in delhi in NSIT ...i must tell u all that they are all extremely friendly ppl...i got their autographs and took a photo with them...and coming to heir performance....it was simply AMAZING!!!....the thing that stood out for me was the performance and he guitar work...i wont forget this for the rest of my life...

Great you liked them live. I was wondering how the show went cause Otto (bass) got on the plane ill.
And yes the guitarwork is brilliant, Koen and Mike really complement each other brilliantly (live even better than on album)
And friendly they certainly are.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.09.2008 - 12:14
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Sounds like an album I would enjoy.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
08.09.2008 - 14:48
Abattoir

Yea, a very good album...but I still prefer the first one ''An Epic Defiance'' a little bit more than this one.

Hits total: 8842 | This month: 16